Yesterday was an ugly day over here in SW Chicago. The morning started out chilly and sunny. I loaded a 4 lbs chuckie into the MES30 around 8am. I had a couple issue during the smoke, but that's not the purpose of this post. A few weeks ago I told Bear I would use the dust on my next hot smoke to check it's viability....and so I did.
I packed the AMNPS with a full load of pecan with the expectation things would go smooth. Well they did for about the 1st row. Everything was smoking fine, albeit VERY fast. It went through the 1st row in about 1 hour. After that, it was all downhill. At around the 1.5 hour mark I noticed the smoke changed colors from a nice blue hint to a more billowy white color. I went and checked the smoker and noticed that at some point, the rest of the dust got ignited and along the 2 other rows. Obviously, I couldn't watch things as they were happening, but the added heat in the MES and low flash point of the dust must have caused what little heat the dust burning puts off to ignite the rest of the rows to each side.
I was smoking at MES setting of 250 and Maverick reading of 230. Here are some photos.
Below is time stamped 7:56 AM. The AMNPS just being filled. I made sure there was about 1/4 of an inch from the tops of each row also.
Below is time stamped 9:28 AM. Notice the row farthest to the left is burning from it's side. I'm assuming the middle row did the same also because this was taking just 30 minutes after the 1 mark when I actually checked it and the right row had already burned.