or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BBQ/Smoking failures

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Do you have a story about BBQ/Smoking failures that turned out inedible?

post #2 of 11

Nope! Hahahaha......110.gif

post #3 of 11

Fortunately I have not had any inedible items. I have had things not cook as planned but I always managed to salvage them. 

post #4 of 11

I tried smoking some skinless tilapia because DH wanted me too. Told him they were too thin, should have skin and the smoker couldn't get cool enough.

 

Freaking disaster, fell apart trying to scrape them off the grill, no real taste, ick. Told him never again. 

 

He is now working on the problem.

 

edited typo


Edited by Lunarocket - 5/27/15 at 7:30am
post #5 of 11
I live in the northeast and I love to deep sea fish. Catch a lot of bluefish. I guess it's personal preference but I can't make them taste good. I heard if you soak them in buttermilk and smoke them it's awesome, so I tried. Still fed it to my cat
post #6 of 11
I tried the "swineapple" yesterday
It looked really good
20150530_202855_zpswgm4m0se.jpg

But there was something bad about it, like the pork reacted with the pineapple juice and made the pork the consistency of wet bread
Would actually stick to your fingers

Threw most of it out

I feel like im gunna go reserch the swineapple recipe on here and have a "i shoulda known better than to not look on here first" moment
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred77 View Post

I tried the "swineapple" yesterday
It looked really good
20150530_202855_zpswgm4m0se.jpg

But there was something bad about it, like the pork reacted with the pineapple juice and made the pork the consistency of wet bread
Would actually stick to your fingers

Threw most of it out

I feel like im gunna go reserch the swineapple recipe on here and have a "i shoulda known better than to not look on here first" moment

My wife wanted me to make this. I am glad you posted that it isn't any good. Thanks

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaddox View Post
 

My wife wanted me to make this. I am glad you posted that it isn't any good. Thanks

found this thread on here

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/193830/swine-apple

 

not sure why its in the Beef section, but there are a couple of guys on there that said theirs came out ok and a couple that didnt

 

maybe I did something wrong, not sure,  I cooked it at about ~225 until the probe read 160

post #9 of 11

The most common fail I've seen is something fatty like bratwurst or skin-on chicken allowed to flare up, especially over gas heat. With a few moments of inattention, things can happen very quickly, and the food is at least soot-blackened, if not completely incinerated.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred77 View Post

I tried the "swineapple" yesterday
It looked really good
20150530_202855_zpswgm4m0se.jpg

But there was something bad about it, like the pork reacted with the pineapple juice and made the pork the consistency of wet bread
Would actually stick to your fingers

Threw most of it out

I feel like im gunna go reserch the swineapple recipe on here and have a "i shoulda known better than to not look on here first" moment
Pineapple has an enzyme in it that literally dissolves meat at oven temperatures. The same enzyme is in mangoes. They use it in "meat tenderizers". Try lowering your temp or smoking for less time. Or pre-cook the pineapple at fairly high heat for a short while before adding the pork. High heat will deactivate the enzyme. This is why canned pineapple doesn't do the same thing.
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post


Pineapple has an enzyme in it that literally dissolves meat at oven temperatures. The same enzyme is in mangoes. They use it in "meat tenderizers". Try lowering your temp or smoking for less time. Or pre-cook the pineapple at fairly high heat for a short while before adding the pork. High heat will deactivate the enzyme. This is why canned pineapple doesn't do the same thing.

thank you

I figured it was something like that

 

not sure this little thing is even worth the effort to try again though

 

I may post your quote in that other thread, just so some people know if they are searching for the swineapple

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion