or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › If you could get any sub $1000 electric, what would you get?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you could get any sub $1000 electric, what would you get? - Page 3

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

get your own thread, lol

Ordered a SI3, can't wait... Time to start researching wood placement and usage and buy some meat.

 

Here's an SI thread with over 1200 comments:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/97559/smokin-it-smoker

 

 

Bear

post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 

 

Here's an SI thread with over 1200 comments:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/97559/smokin-it-smoker

 

 

Bear

Did you notice that the last two pages (I always skip to the most recent posts) talk about using the AMNPS and AMNTS in the SIs? Todd would be proud...

post #43 of 59


I have noticed that as well.  Early on those who tried met with oxygen starvation.  I saw some on the SmokenTex where an additional hole or two was drilled into the bottom for increased air flow and it works.  When they wanted to use just the smoker and chunk wood (no AMNPS) they plugged the additional holes.  There is always a way. 

 

Here is one of the links:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133283/smokintex-1400-owners-out-there-help-me-get-tbs

post #44 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by old sarge View Post
 


I have noticed that as well.  Early on those who tried met with oxygen starvation.  I saw some on the SmokenTex where an additional hole or two was drilled into the bottom for increased air flow and it works.  When they wanted to use just the smoker and chunk wood (no AMNPS) they plugged the additional holes.  There is always a way. 

 

Here is one of the links:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/133283/smokintex-1400-owners-out-there-help-me-get-tbs

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 

Did you notice that the last two pages (I always skip to the most recent posts) talk about using the AMNPS and AMNTS in the SIs? Todd would be proud...

 

 

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

post #45 of 59
Thread Starter 

I may get one eventually as well.  I think that is part of my reasoning for getting the $650 smoker instead of the $1200 one.   

 

Been reading about the heatermeter over at the SI forums, may go this route instead of an Auber.  Much more my speed.  I have a lot of that stuff already because of my DIY christmas lights to music builds, probably would save a lot of money over the Auber and get a better end product.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


Many of us buy an entry level smoker because it's what we can afford and we also don't want to spend too much money before we find out if we really like using a smoker and are any good at it. Since, you've got the cash you can afford to go way above entry level and get a smoker that will last you years and years.

 

Besides, between old sarge and jted you've got two advisers who can help make sure that you set yourself up for success and, more importantly, years of smoking fun. Because at its core, home smoking should be fun.

 

Now, when are buying a Maverick ET-733?

Bold... Except with my MES 40 incher gen 2, it's not fun. I smell like smoke the whole day because i have to keep opening it up and resetting the temps and to try and calibrate them, 6 hours later i am still working on it. UNFUN.

post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by will75 View Post
 

Bold... Except with my MES 40 incher gen 2, it's not fun. I smell like smoke the whole day because i have to keep opening it up and resetting the temps and to try and calibrate them, 6 hours later i am still working on it. UNFUN.

 

Yup---This is a problem with a lot of Gen #2. You got yours for Christmas before you joined SMF, so I didn't get a chance to stop you from getting a Gen #2.

 

Drop me a PM, if you get a chance & tell me all the problems you have & what you've been trying to correct them.

 

Maybe I can help a little.

 

 

Bear

post #48 of 59

I think i may of corrected the problem today, for now at least. I think the drip pan i was using, was blocking heat below, and thus bumping the temp sensor up.I even went out with a piece of ice before doing this change and had it down to 70 degrees lol.   Right now i'm sitting 230 with a 245 cap.Which i am ok with , i think i'll be ok. Around 3-4 i will pop in meat probes and see where i am . Looks like i dropped to 225. Might be time to bump back to 240. While 225 was my initial optimal temp, i've been in the 170-190s all day.So i need a bit more heat to hit my time tomorrow morning. Ok down to 219 time to go hit it. My other unit i have that this was replaced for the heating element went out a few weeks ago. Nothing like waking up at 7am and seeing smoker temp say 65 degrees,

post #49 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by will75 View Post
 

I think i may of corrected the problem today, for now at least. I think the drip pan i was using, was blocking heat below, and thus bumping the temp sensor up.I even went out with a piece of ice before doing this change and had it down to 70 degrees lol.   Right now i'm sitting 230 with a 245 cap.Which i am ok with , i think i'll be ok. Around 3-4 i will pop in meat probes and see where i am . Looks like i dropped to 225. Might be time to bump back to 240. While 225 was my initial optimal temp, i've been in the 170-190s all day.So i need a bit more heat to hit my time tomorrow morning. Ok down to 219 time to go hit it. My other unit i have that this was replaced for the heating element went out a few weeks ago. Nothing like waking up at 7am and seeing smoker temp say 65 degrees,

 

Removing that little water pan from that hole in the drip pan can help let some heat up through that hole.

 

I never let my smoker run while I sleep. I heard of too many smokers (of all kinds) catching fire, and mine sits on the wood front porch of my Log House.

 

 

Bear

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by will75 View Post
 

Bold... Except with my MES 40 incher gen 2, it's not fun. I smell like smoke the whole day because i have to keep opening it up and resetting the temps and to try and calibrate them, 6 hours later i am still working on it. UNFUN.


I can't speak about the MES 40 Gen 2 because I own a MES 30 Gen 1. But why do you need to keep opening the door? That shouldn't be necessary with any generation of MES because you readjust the set point on the controller in front. The temp swings on the gens 1 and 2 are well known but can be dealt with. With my ET-733, I can monitor the temp swings and if the top and/or bottom temps are greater than I wanted I change the set point. However, the ET-733 is monitoring the internal temp of whatever I'm smoking and it's that temperature that's of primary importance to me. If my set point is 235°, the controller is swinging the temp between 250° and 215° I consider that within my acceptable parameters because it'll average out, I figure, to 235° over the course of the smoke. But what I'm looking at is the progress of the internal temp of the meat. Is it rising or has it stalled? If stalled, the temptation is to boost the cooking temp but can lead to overcooking depending on what's being smoked. So, I'm primarily checking the FOOD reading and waiting for the display to read 200° I/T or whatever my target is. That's why you need at least a dual probe therm when smoking.

 

As far as smelling like smoke, I view that as one of the perks of using a smoker. I don't open the door nearly as much as you say you do but I wind up smelling nice and smoky every time. Don't mind it a bit because that smoky smell reminds me of my days backpacking up in the Sierra Nevadas and cooking lake and stream-caught trout over a wood campfire or just sitting around the campfire at night for heat. It was glorious and my smoker brings back all those sense memories. It's all how you look at it.

post #51 of 59
Yeah. I would have suggested the #3. Good call. Update us when you get it.

Jon D
post #52 of 59






Here is my PID I made from a REX C100 off of ebay.

JD
post #53 of 59
Thread Starter 

Nice set up, I got my first #3 last thursday.  When I was unpacking it, I quickly discovered one of the rack holder pins was broken off completely.  I think this was due to rough shipping in combination with how they ship it.  They ship it with all the racks in place and accessories sitting on the racks.  Probably took a hell of a beating knowing UPS with the racks bouncing around weighted with stuff.   I talked to Steve as soon as I got it, great thing about being able to ring up the owner of the company, he was very easy to deal with.  I sent him a few pics and he sent me a brand new smoker the next day.  I got my 2nd #3 yesterday and seasoned it for smoking a brisket this weekend.  He included a shipping label to ship the old one back to him.  Good ole UPS left the new smoker sitting on its side in my driveway...  They are awesome...

 

I pretty much have everything except for the PCB to build the heatermeter PID, its stuck somewhere in USPS hell.  I will probably get it wired up tonight or tomorrow with all the connections/probes I need for the heatermeter.  I am going to put in a on/on dpdt switch, so I can use it stock and with the heatermeter, so I can start smoking without it.

post #54 of 59
Sounds good. Glad Steve could make it right.
post #55 of 59

That is great and fast customer service. Enjoy.

post #56 of 59
Thread Starter 

Update, attempted my first real smoke today.  Went with a brisket.  Wasn't the best brisket I ever had by a long ways, but it was pretty good.  Got the recipe off another forum.  Used Sugar Maple wood.  I have a long way to go, but this is the kinda practice that I can really enjoy.

 

Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of pics during, I was too busy tinkering with the heatermeter build.  I got it up and running and did test a bit during this smoke, but this smoke was basically done stock SI3.

 

post #57 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Update, attempted my first real smoke today.  Went with a brisket.  Wasn't the best brisket I ever had by a long ways, but it was pretty good.  Got the recipe off another forum.  Used Sugar Maple wood.  I have a long way to go, but this is the kinda practice that I can really enjoy.

Unfortunately I didn't take a lot of pics during, I was too busy tinkering with the heatermeter build.  I got it up and running and did test a bit during this smoke, but this smoke was basically done stock SI3.





Looks good, brisket is a tough smoke though.... For your first, I'd say ya done well ! icon14.gif
post #58 of 59

Trip, as WaternHoleBrew said the Brisket is a hard cut to learn on.  One of the more famous pit masters has a series of videos on smoking. He covers a lot of stuff that the Electric smoker doe's not need. He does cover wood. Different regions have different tastes. These are determined by what wood is plentiful. Here in central VA if you find a Forest that the lumber companies have nor reforested in the past you find red and white oak as well as hickory. In VA hickory is the wood of choice when it comes to smoking. When I was young I liked White oak but that was always in my wood pile. 

Here is a link to Aron Franklin Brisket vid.  He covers Texas Brisket . You can't get a smoke that is simpler.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU

 

The pork Tenderloin is a very easy smoke it is almost instant gratification.  Clean rub let it sit for a while Smoke  and 1.5 hours or so later you and the family are enjoying Great Q.                            

 A fine Saturday evening Meal

.

 

 

Did  I mention that Pork Tenderloin is as or the same price as  than Burger.

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jted View Post
 

 

The pork Tenderloin is a very easy smoke it is almost instant gratification.  Clean rub let it sit for a while Smoke  and 1.5 hours or so later you and the family are enjoying Great Q.                            

 A fine Saturday evening Meal

.

 

 

Did  I mention that Pork Tenderloin is as or the same price as  than Burger.

 

And some good looking Pork Tenderloin it is, Jted !!

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › If you could get any sub $1000 electric, what would you get?