or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › first time ribs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

first time ribs

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

so im gonna be doing my first rack of baby back ribs and im totally lost. So im coming to the pros I need a check list of what to do start to finish how to prep what seasoning work well how long to smoke what to smoke with, what temp.

Basically what is your best recipe for ribs

I cant wait to get started.

post #2 of 12
Ok let's get you through this nice and easy. First take your ribs lay them meat side down and get rid of membrane from the back of the bones. The mix I use for rub is Brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder and celery seeds. You can really throw anything you like together and make a good rub. Next rub them down and throw them in a 250/275 smoker. I would check them with the bend test at about 4 hours. Someone will be along soon with the wrapping method. As far as wood I'm an oak guy because it's what's around.
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryred View Post
 

so im gonna be doing my first rack of baby back ribs and im totally lost. So im coming to the pros I need a check list of what to do start to finish how to prep what seasoning work well how long to smoke what to smoke with, what temp.

Basically what is your best recipe for ribs

I cant wait to get started.

 

I have some rubs posted in the articles section-

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/rib-rub-recipes

 

Here's the checklist-

Heat the pit

Apply rub while the pit is coming up to temp, I like 250°-260°.

When the pit is up to temp put the ribs on.

After 4 hours check using the bend test. If they pass  they're done, if they don't put them back in the heat.

 

The bend test-

 

 

It's your first time so I recommend that you keep it simple.

Good luck.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

two questions

1 how do you take the membrane off

2 do you ever wrap them in foilt or just strait up cook them for four hours and do the bend test

post #5 of 12
I have never wrapped ribs in foil. You take a butter knife and slide it under the membrane which is attached to the bone then work your finger underneath and peel it up
post #6 of 12

I'm a wrapper, 2-2-1 on baby backs, but man those are some beautiful ribs you're holding there cliffcarter! Larry, there are many different ways to get good Q, but you definitely can't go wrong listening to Cliff and Brooksy. Their "Master of the Pit" titles didn't get there by accident! Much respect guys. Larry, good luck with your Baby Backs and most importantly, relax and enjoy it-you'll do fine. David.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sota D View Post

I'm a wrapper, 2-2-1 on baby backs, but man those are some beautiful ribs you're holding there cliffcarter! Larry, there are many different ways to get good Q, but you definitely can't go wrong listening to Cliff and Brooksy. Their "Master of the Pit" titles didn't get there by accident! Much respect guys. Larry, good luck with your Baby Backs and most importantly, relax and enjoy it-you'll do fine. David.
Thank you! You are correct there is no right or wrong way to do it. Just have fun with it. Half the time we're all just experimenting anyways.
post #8 of 12

Might I inject a question? 

I'm pretty good with spares, both 3-2-1 and straight up 5-6...but I've recently started messing with baby backs and am not really happy with my results.  This weekend I smoked them straight up for about five hours at 230*, opening the smoker a few seconds once per hour for quick spritz or (later) a little sauce.  Bend test seemed reasonable, taste was fine, but they seemed a little tougher than my spares do and the meat didn't come cleanly off the bone...any thoughts?

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupercenterChef View Post
 

Might I inject a question? 

I'm pretty good with spares, both 3-2-1 and straight up 5-6...but I've recently started messing with baby backs and am not really happy with my results.  This weekend I smoked them straight up for about five hours at 230*, opening the smoker a few seconds once per hour for quick spritz or (later) a little sauce.  Bend test seemed reasonable, taste was fine, but they seemed a little tougher than my spares do and the meat didn't come cleanly off the bone...any thoughts?

I can't seem to get baby backs to turn out right straight out without foil myself. I just don't think there is enough fat and stuff to make them moist. I use the crutch on my BB's. Now loin backs work great naked. Spares too. 

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupercenterChef View Post
 

Might I inject a question?

I'm pretty good with spares, both 3-2-1 and straight up 5-6...but I've recently started messing with baby backs and am not really happy with my results.  This weekend I smoked them straight up for about five hours at 230*, opening the smoker a few seconds once per hour for quick spritz or (later) a little sauce.  Bend test seemed reasonable, taste was fine, but they seemed a little tougher than my spares do and the meat didn't come cleanly off the bone...any thoughts?

 

IMHO 230° is too low a cooking temp for loin backs, at that temp a good size rack of loin backs will take around 6 hours. Try cooking them at 250°-260° I think you will get better results.

post #11 of 12

I did some on Sunday and they may have been my best yet.  Smoked them at 225 in my pellet pooper with no foil and they did take about 6.5 hours until they were done, but they turned out fantastic.  I usually foil (2-2-1), but I may never again.  If I was in a hurry I can see cranking the heat up to 250 - 275, but if I'm not in a rush, I'll stick with 225-230.

 

post #12 of 12
I did my first baby backs last sunday and i thought they came out great, i made a homemade rub with cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, brown sugar, paprika etc.

I maintained temps around 230-235...it was a little up and down due to 37 degree weather and some wind but for the most part stayed between 225 and 240 and i cooked them for like 5 hours no foiling. I used a mix of some cherry and hickory.

I rubbed some mustard on them then coated with rub, heres the before pic



and heres the results


New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › first time ribs