I have a few quick questions on fitting a Weber 22.5" lid to my UDS built. Here's a few dot points of note on my build.
- My drum is a removable lid, with the outwards rolled lip on top of the drum. The Weber lid does not sit over this lip, but about half way across the lip. Searched for other drums that would fit the lid but no dice, could only find the thinner walled, straight tapered edge food grade drums to fit.
- I have an "Unknown BBQ" branded hinge designed for Weber lid on UDS that I planned to use, and would like to continue using, so making the Weber lid sit higher compared to the underside of the rolled lip is impossible.
The way I see it so far, my only two options here are:
- Cut the flange off of the Weber lid, then weld the Weber lid to the flat lid that came with the drum. Then I'd cut out the flat lid from the underside so that only the outer ring stayed with the Weber lid.
- Cut off the rolled lip from the top of the drum. From what I have read, this will allow the Weber lid to sit down nicely on the drum wall.
Now my questions:
- Has anyone tried the first method? Is my hinge still likely to work?
- The second method is tempting, but I'm worried about how flimsy the top of he drum might become. I have a Big Poppa side table to mount to each side and am worried it will all get a bit wobbly. Can anyone comment?
Thanks in advance for your advice, UDS Gurus.