or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Attempt at a Pork Loin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Attempt at a Pork Loin

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Picked up a small (2~3lb) pork loin last night and gave a shot at smoking it over hickory.  Whipped up a rub and applied it over EVOO after dry salting overnight in the fridge. Brought it to an IT of 145 and wrapped it in foil and a towel to rest in the oven for 30-45 mins. Here are some pics.
 

Rub applied and waiting for the smoker to hit temp.

 

Off the smoker and after resting in foil.

 

Sliced and ready to rock and roll.

post #2 of 16
Tasty looking loin! Nice smoke!
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 

Almost forgot, I smoked a couple ears of corn as well with the retained heat/smoke after the loin was finished up and resting.  Not terrible. It was from the freezer with husk and silk previously removed and boiled to prep for freezing.  The corn didn't dry out but the hickory smoke was a little potent on the bare corn.  Oh well I've got a ton left so no harm, no foul.  I only used a foil tray but next time I will try something different...Anyways I still got a pic of the finish.

 

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyThump View Post
 

Almost forgot, I smoked a couple ears of corn as well with the retained heat/smoke after the loin was finished up and resting.  Not terrible. It was from the freezer with husk and silk previously removed and boiled to prep for freezing.  The corn didn't dry out but the hickory smoke was a little potent on the bare corn.  Oh well I've got a ton left so no harm, no foul.  I only used a foil tray but next time I will try something different...Anyways I still got a pic of the finish.

 

Looks great, Hey you could scrape that corn off and throw it into a tub of salsa. I do that when corn is in season weekly and boy is it good. I can't wait for corn season here.

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post
 

Looks great, Hey you could scrape that corn off and throw it into a tub of salsa. I do that when corn is in season weekly and boy is it good. I can't wait for corn season here.

Amen brother, I like the sound of that.  I tried some, my wife tried some and weren't greatly pleased so we tossed what we had left over.  Next time I'll intentionally get that heavy smoke flavor for a good salsa additive.  I appreciate the advice!

post #6 of 16
Smoked or grilled corn is great in salsa. If you want to take it up another notch give this a shot,

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/166998/elotes-asados-aka-street-corn


Smoke away!!!
post #7 of 16
Did you inject it with anything. Wanting to do one real soon.
post #8 of 16

Both Look mighty Tasty, Good Job

 

Gary

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smell smoke View Post

Did you inject it with anything. Wanting to do one real soon.

I thought about it but I didn't.  It still turned out super juicy.  On my next one, I will probably let it stay on for another 10 or so degrees IT.  There was a portion of the cut (seen as a little pink in the pics) that my wife didn't like the texture of very well.  I assume this could have been from pulling it around 145 IT.  

post #10 of 16
Looks great. Do you use your mini?
post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Looks great. Do you use your mini?

Absolutely!  Mainly bc its the only smoker I have at the moment haha but honestly I love the little thing so far.  No complaints from me.  My terra cotta diffuser did crack today on this loin smoke so I'll have to assess that situation this week.  I'll probably just trash it and use an aluminum pie pan for convenience.

post #12 of 16
Just use the steamer plate. Works great for me.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Just use the steamer plate. Works great for me.

I probably will.  I'll have to cut a little notch to fit past my grate bolts.  I got them a little longer than they should be but it wont be an issue.  Do wash it clean after every smoke?

post #14 of 16
No. I had to notch my steamer too.

I only scrap mine after a few cooks.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyThump View Post

I thought about it but I didn't.  It still turned out super juicy.  On my next one, I will probably let it stay on for another 10 or so degrees IT.  There was a portion of the cut (seen as a little pink in the pics) that my wife didn't like the texture of very well.  I assume this could have been from pulling it around 145 IT.  


I agree just because you CAN pull at 145F doesn't mean you SHOULD. Personally I take pork loins to 150F to 155F, gives it a firmer texture and still very moist and juicy.

Nicely done, corn looks wonderful.

points.gif
post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEUBrewer View Post


I agree just because you CAN pull at 145F doesn't mean you SHOULD. Personally I take pork loins to 150F to 155F, gives it a firmer texture and still very moist and juicy.

Nicely done, corn looks wonderful.

points.gif

 

Thanks Brewer!  I appreciate that advice, I hope to get another one on to smoke soon.  I didn't realize it would be finished so quickly either.  Since it was such a small size, it was finished up in under 2 hrs.  Had I left it to smoke to the 150-155 IT you recommend, it would still probably only take right at or a little over 2 hrs.  I may fire another one up this week after work sometime.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Attempt at a Pork Loin