or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Other Builds › Vertical aluminum smoker build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vertical aluminum smoker build

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
"Up cycled" an old aluminum storage box into a vertical smoker.


Box is 5' x 3' x 2' x 0.375" thick folded aluminum with a sealed lip in the lid.

Cut holes for NG lines and air vents on sides and front and back.




4 expanded metal shelves, resting on aluminum angle.

Bayou Classic Banjo burner converted to NG.
Water pan on lowest shelf and cast iron griddle for wood.






Plenty of knowledge utilized and gleaned from this forum.

Thanks for looking. Any questions or comments welcome.

Craig
post #2 of 19

That looks like the man had a plan

I like stick burners but I would be proud of that too

post #3 of 19

Where are you locating your stack ?

 

Gary

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post

Where are you locating your stack ?

Gary


Adjustable AC vents on the sides at the top.
post #5 of 19


Have you done any cooking yet?

YOU KNOW WE WANT PICS :grilling_smilie:

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S View Post


Have you done any cooking yet?
YOU KNOW WE WANT PICS grilling_smilie.gif

Oh yeah !

Pulled pork





Turkey



Brisket



Reverse sear prime rib



Crosscut beef ribs

post #7 of 19

Nice, looks good

 

Gary

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Smoker got some new upgrades on order.....

Smoke Daddy Pellet pro hopper and 4 new upgraded air dampers.



post #9 of 19

I am currently in a build similar to this. Cres cor heating cabinet with a Pellet Pro hopper. hope to get it done in a couple weeks from now.... Nice build by the way.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy View Post

I am currently in a build similar to this. Cres cor heating cabinet with a Pellet Pro hopper. hope to get it done in a couple weeks from now.... Nice build by the way.

Thanks!
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Upgrades added.

Pellet hopper



New dampers



Trying to decide if I should paint it:

post #12 of 19
Just curious, how is it at holding temps? Just having spent time as an aircraft machinist I've had the thermal properties of alum beat into my head, therefore it would be low on my choices of material.
But it looks great and the food looks even better!
On the paint, I've yet to find an "over the counter" primer that sticks worth a hoot, I'd either polish it or look into powder coating it.
post #13 of 19
With the pellet hopper making non-stop fire to hold temp. It will not be much different then a smoker grill. Now if its insulated then it will hold heat too well. You have to make big vents to bring in cool air.
post #14 of 19
Fair enough, I was just curious, glad it's working out, like I said, it's a slick looking build!
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post

Just curious, how is it at holding temps? Just having spent time as an aircraft machinist I've had the thermal properties of alum beat into my head, therefore it would be low on my choices of material.
But it looks great and the food looks even better!
On the paint, I've yet to find an "over the counter" primer that sticks worth a hoot, I'd either polish it or look into powder coating it.

 

I haven't cooked anything in it yet, but the two test runs seem to be holding temp very accurately and consistently.   I checked the calibration of the Pellet Pro with two separate digital, quick-read thermometers and the temps were within +/- 3 degrees F.

 

Before it was easy to hold temp with a huge burner inside with 2 control valves.   The new dampers are much better than the cheap air vents I originally used, seem to help the air and smoke flow better, and allow more precise control. The Pellet Pro seems to have no problems keeping the temp up.....in fact, it gets the entire smoker up to 300 degrees F in about 4-5 minutes.

 

Next will be some clean-up from the new cutting and drilling, then some Q!!!

post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post

Fair enough, I was just curious, glad it's working out, like I said, it's a slick looking build!

Thanks again!

post #17 of 19

I have a build similar to this and the biggest problem with holding temps is if it is in a windy location.

The wind will draw the heat right out of it. I have it in a wood storage shed... no rain or wind problems.

nice job! looks great!

SOB

post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingOhioButcher View Post
 

I have a build similar to this and the biggest problem with holding temps is if it is in a windy location.

The wind will draw the heat right out of it. I have it in a wood storage shed... no rain or wind problems.

nice job! looks great!

SOB

 

Thanks!

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingOhioButcher View Post
 

I have a build similar to this and the biggest problem with holding temps is if it is in a windy location.

The wind will draw the heat right out of it. I have it in a wood storage shed... no rain or wind problems.

nice job! looks great!

SOB

Out of the first test on my build with the Cres Cor warmer I am finding that a little wind would help. The temp still is hard to keep down. It has so far been running about 200 to 220 at lowest settings.  Both the bottom vent and stack wide open. The Pellet Pro at lowest settings is providing plenty of heat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Builds
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Smoker Builds › Other Builds › Vertical aluminum smoker build