or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Info and Practices › cold smoking with my landsman electric smoker
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cold smoking with my landsman electric smoker - Page 4

post #61 of 73
Thread Starter 

I want to use mainly saw dust, i got the 5x8 amnps and plan on just using saw dust

post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratthewcraig View Post
 

I want to use mainly saw dust, i got the 5x8 amnps and plan on just using saw dust


I don't know if it's a problem with the AMNPS, because I never tried it, but if you use sawdust in an AMNS at temps above 200°--220° there's a good chance it will jump across rows & burn out in a short time.

That's why I use my AMNS with Dust for under 200° smoker temp, and my AMNPS with pellets for over 200° smoker temp.

 

 

Bear

post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmayna View Post
 


I like the idea of blending up pellets when you need some dust, but wow!, doesn't that do a number to your blender's blades?  Maybe one needs to have a stash of blades set aside?    Agree 100% about using Todds pellets.   Top quality.

 

I use a yardsale blender, so who cares.   The truth is, the blades are holding up quite well.

 

post #64 of 73
Thread Starter 

I only plan on using it below 200 for bacon, cheese, ect.  Ive been getting a good smoke ovver 190

post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratthewcraig View Post
 

I only plan on using it below 200 for bacon, cheese, ect.  Ive been getting a good smoke ovver 190


That would be fine.

My point was that you couldn't use a full load of Dust in an AMNS for Pulled Pork, Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, etc, etc.

 

 

Bear

post #66 of 73
Thread Starter 

I cant wait to make a nice pork butt

post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
 


I don't know if it's a problem with the AMNPS, because I never tried it, but if you use sawdust in an AMNS at temps above 200°--220° there's a good chance it will jump across rows & burn out in a short time.

That's why I use my AMNS with Dust for under 200° smoker temp, and my AMNPS with pellets for over 200° smoker temp.

 

 

Bear

 

You know I never thought of it, but that makes sense. Higher than warming use pellets, lower than hot use dust. I would really like to try some dust. I can see how it would be usefull in cold smoking applications. Course here we seldom if ever have an outside temp. that allows us that luxuary.

post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

 

You know I never thought of it, but that makes sense. Higher than warming use pellets, lower than hot use dust. I would really like to try some dust. I can see how it would be usefull in cold smoking applications. Course here we seldom if ever have an outside temp. that allows us that luxuary.


Yup---But like I said, I never tried Dust in the AMNPS, so I don't know if there's a problem at higher temps, like there is with the original AMNS.

 

That problem was a big reason for the development of the AMNPS. Because of the double interior walls, higher heat might not hurt when using Dust in the AMNPS.

 

 

Bear

post #69 of 73
Thread Starter 

i got the one that looks like a grate sorta.  i hope thats the right one for cold smoking at the temps i want

post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratthewcraig View Post
 

i got the one that looks like a grate sorta.  i hope thats the right one for cold smoking at the temps i want


They all look sorta like a grate. The AMNPS has double interior walls. The AMNS has single walls.

 

Either one is good for cold smoking up to 200° smoker temp.

 

 

Bear

post #71 of 73
Thread Starter 

i should be good than! thanks for the info

post #72 of 73

Bear, next hot smoke I do I'll fill my AMNPS will some pecan dust and let it go. I'm curious to see it's performance in a hot smoke as well. 

post #73 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post
 

Bear, next hot smoke I do I'll fill my AMNPS will some pecan dust and let it go. I'm curious to see it's performance in a hot smoke as well. 


OK---Great !!

 

Let us know what temp & how long at those temps.

 

I'm thinking since it has double interior walls, it should be alright, but I never say it will be until I know for sure.

 

Thanks!

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Info and Practices
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Cold Smoking › Info and Practices › cold smoking with my landsman electric smoker