or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Passing Wind Estates Bratwurst Video
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Passing Wind Estates Bratwurst Video - Page 2

post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Many thanks, Case. However, there aren't no brats, there is brats!

Sadly, we don't have Pabst up here but I do find Negro Modelo works well too!

Disco

Note to self: NEVER move to Canada! No pabst!?!

Great thread... Points as well!

In my best Shakespeare: Hark, what wind doth break through yonder bowels...
post #22 of 29

Starts singing, rednecks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer!

post #23 of 29

You sending mine out today ?      " I hope"

 

 

Gary

post #24 of 29

I really enjoy your video's Disco!!  Thanks for the recipe and the very nice step by step.  Reinhard

post #25 of 29

Disco, your video is better than what you see on the cooking shows on TV   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up    Looks pretty easy

 

Gary

post #26 of 29
Disco,
If you feel like experimenting the next time you have brats, try this:
After poaching the sausages, strain the onions and reserve the beer. Put the onions in a heavy skillet over low heat with a pat of butter and caramelize them completely, until they're mahogany brown and sweet but not burned. Will probably take 30-40 minutes over low heat. Then add the beer back in, raise the heat and reduce by 2/3 or until sauce is fairly thick. Finish with a tablespoon or two of butter and season to taste. Be careful with salt, don't add any until the end. The reduced liquid will have salt from the brats being poached and the butter may have salt too, all of which will be concentrated when it's cooked down. I like to grate in a little nutmeg and add a little ginger and allspice for a nice earthy flavor. Serve it on your bratwurst on a roll.
I learned this recipe from a chef who was married to a girl from Wisconsin. Every time they'd go visit her folks he'd bring back a few pounds of brats and make them for us at the restaurant. He always used Guinness but it would work well with Negro Modelo as well. I've even made it with Miller Lite in a pinch. Wasn't the same, but wasn't bad.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Nice looking brats. I gotta ask, are those your buns?  Certainly a nice looking bun.

Thanks, Foamheart. Yes, I made some buns for it. I will do a post later, I am just so busy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post


Note to self: NEVER move to Canada! No pabst!?!

Great thread... Points as well!

In my best Shakespeare: Hark, what wind doth break through yonder bowels...

Thanks Welshrarebit. There isn't a lot of US beer sold in Canada. It is just so weak we can't get used to it!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Starts singing, rednecks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer!

Get the microphone out, start recording and post it!

 

Disco

post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

You sending mine out today ?      " I hope"

 

 

Gary

I am surprised you don't have them already! It must be the postal service.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
 

I really enjoy your video's Disco!!  Thanks for the recipe and the very nice step by step.  Reinhard

 

You are too kind, Reinhard. My buddy and I have fun making them.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

Disco, your video is better than what you see on the cooking shows on TV   Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up    Looks pretty easy

 

Gary

 

That is very generous, Gary. I don't know about the food network in the US but the one here doesn't have cooking shows any more. It is all cooking contests and game shows.

 

Disco

post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

Disco,
If you feel like experimenting the next time you have brats, try this:
After poaching the sausages, strain the onions and reserve the beer. Put the onions in a heavy skillet over low heat with a pat of butter and caramelize them completely, until they're mahogany brown and sweet but not burned. Will probably take 30-40 minutes over low heat. Then add the beer back in, raise the heat and reduce by 2/3 or until sauce is fairly thick. Finish with a tablespoon or two of butter and season to taste. Be careful with salt, don't add any until the end. The reduced liquid will have salt from the brats being poached and the butter may have salt too, all of which will be concentrated when it's cooked down. I like to grate in a little nutmeg and add a little ginger and allspice for a nice earthy flavor. Serve it on your bratwurst on a roll.
I learned this recipe from a chef who was married to a girl from Wisconsin. Every time they'd go visit her folks he'd bring back a few pounds of brats and make them for us at the restaurant. He always used Guinness but it would work well with Negro Modelo as well. I've even made it with Miller Lite in a pinch. Wasn't the same, but wasn't bad.


Thanks, MD and thank you for the point. That sounds delicious and is going in my to do list!

 

Disco

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Passing Wind Estates Bratwurst Video