SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Preserving Food › Curing › Frozen meats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Frozen meats

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Quick question

Can you cure meat that has previously been frozen?

I was specifically thinking about bone in venison leg

post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper7990 View Post
 

Quick question

Can you cure meat that has previously been frozen?

I was specifically thinking about bone in venison leg

 

 

Yes.

 

I do it all the time.  

 

My guess would be that most meat has been frozen at one time.

post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post


Yes.

I do it all the time.  

My guess would be that most meat has been frozen at one time.
Pop said the same thing earlier on. Are you saying meat labeled fresh could have been frozen?
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

That's good news because I can buy frozen venison

My project for a venison prosciutto may well go ahead!!!!

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmoke View Post


Pop said the same thing earlier on. Are you saying meat labeled fresh could have been frozen?

 

 

Yup.

 

 

I bought a " never frozen " pack of ribs that were partially frozen.

post #6 of 12
Son of a b.
post #7 of 12

Happened to me on a fresh turkey one time too.

 

How would big plants keep fresh meats from going bad without freezing them at some point?

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

Happened to me on a fresh turkey one time too.

How would big plants keep fresh meats from going bad without freezing them at some point?
Well...I assumed this just-in-time approach takes care of that. And a whole carcass (or half) could be held in cold storage for up to 2 weeks as far as I know.
post #9 of 12
If it wouldn't last, how do they age meat for 3/4 weeks?
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis View Post

If it wouldn't last, how do they age meat for 3/4 weeks?

 

 

I was basically talking about after it is packaged and ready for the stores.

 

Maybe its the stores that freeze it?

 

Again this is all my opinion.

 

 

 

 

The original question was answered about curing thawed meats.

post #11 of 12

I don't know on venison but I think the UDSA says it all has to be frozen for a period of time somewhere in the hanging or whatever to kill certain bugs. I have never made any cured meat that had not been frozen.

post #12 of 12
Even sitting on the shelf at the store the coolers that display food go thru freezing and thawing cycles.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Curing
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Preserving Food › Curing › Frozen meats