or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Chuck roast IT for pulling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chuck roast IT for pulling - Page 2

post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Ok, Here you go...

Pozole Rojo (Red Posole)... You will see the words Pozole and Posole used interchangeably in the US. The words can be seen referring to the Soup or the Hominy, white or yellow Corn, specifically the starchy corn that needs further processing, Maiz, as opposed to Sweet Corn that can be eaten as is. The Maiz is cooked with Calcium Hydroxide (referred to as CAL) to loosen the hull for removal, make it more nutritional releasing Niacin and Protein, reduces or eliminates the Mycotoxins that accumulate as a Fungus grows, it attacks when corn is in storage and when ground into a slightly course flour (Masa) used to make Tortillas, makes the dough stick together. This process is called Nixtamalization. Hominy is available Canned and Dry. If you buy the dry form, it will need to be precooked which takes a couple of hours. I used the Canned Hominy.
Most of the Pozole I've seen on TV is made with all Chile Guajillo. It gives a brighter red color but is also one of the hotter Mexican Chiles. My family is not into heat so I add milder yet flavorful chiles with good result, this is also more common in recipes on line. The final color of my recipe is a deep dark red and a mellow warm heat. You can use any combination or types of chiles you like or have. If you are making this for your family for the first time, I suggest you use what I did. If you or your family is used to heat, play with the type and/or number of chiles you use. Your dried chiles should be dry, firm and flexible. If they crumble when you remove the seeds they are past their prime or were in the store or your cabinet over a year or not kept air tight. This does not mean they a bad just that you will need to double the amounts for the same flavor. In any event you need to wake those chile flavors up before using. Start by removing the stems and seeds. The fleshy white part of a fresh chile holds the bulk of the seeds along with the ribs and contains the highest concentration of Capsaicin, the Heat of the chile. These portions of dry chiles are usually removed because they will cause whatever you make to become bitter. Next the chiles are toasted in a medium hot pan until they start to change color and you smell the rich aroma of the chiles filling the kitchen. If they turn black, get burned, toss them they will ruin the dish. In some recipes the chiles need to be soaked in very hot water for no more than 20 minutes, any longer they get bitter, and then pureed with some of the soaking water. The puree is then strained and sauteed, in lard, to concentrate the flavor and sweeten them a bit. While this is important for sauces like a Mole and Marinades, it does not really seem to make a whole lot of difference in a soup. I skipped this process and chopped up the toasted chiles and ground them into a powder in my spice grinder, saved a lot of time. Read the recipe, gather your ingredients and do all the Prep first. Get all cutting, chopping and measuring done for the Pozole before you begin. The Garnish can be dealt with while the Stock/Soup cooks. Next we make a Stock, well actually a Broth since we are using Meat and not just Bones, and cook the Meat that will be eaten in the soup. If you plan to use Smoked Meat, you will need to make a Stock with bones. You can use Chicken Backs, Pork or Beef Bones, 2Lbs or so, that you have accumulated of purchased from your Butcher.
Heat a 4Qt pot over high heat and add 2-3Tbs Fat of your choice and brown the meat, remove it to a plate and if there is a lot of additional fat rendered remove some, keep it, until you are left with about 2Tbs in the pot. At this point add the vegetables and saute them until golden. If the Garlic Cloves are getting too brown, remove and add back later. I ALWAYS sweat or saute my aromatic vegetables for soups and stocks because it creates and concentrates a ton of flavor that you can't get by adding raw veg to soup. For light colored soups, just sweat them over med/low heat until softened a bit. For dark soups saute until golden or even brown. Time to add the Water, fairly quickly as it's going to spit and pop, and the herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the brown goodness that accumulated on the bottom of the pot. Add the meat to the pot, bring everything just barely to bubbling, reduce the heat to low and skim any floating scum. Cover the pot and simmer until the meat is tender and easily removed from the bones. If the level has dropped add some water. Now cooked, remove the meat to cool until it can be handled. Strain the stock into another pot, to remove the veggies, and keep warm. This stock contains little Salt so the flavor will be flat and not that good, we will fix this later. Reheat the 4Qt pot and add 2-3Tbs of the reserved fat. Add the remaining Onions, Celery and Tomato Paste. Saute these just until the tomato paste begins to darken. Add the Garlic and saute another minute. Add the Stock and all remaining ingredients, Except the Meat. Bring to a boil reduce the heat to low and simmer the until the Celery, Onions and Posole are tender but still firm. Adjust seasoning adding more Salt and Pepper to taste. Add the meat to the soup, turn up the heat, bring the soup back to a simmer and Serve in big bowls with all the Garnishes on the side so everybody can customize the Pazole to their tastes...The Recipe Serves 4-6...Enjoy!...JJ

Pozole Rojo

Stock/Broth

3-4Lbs Chicken on the Bone or 5-6Lbs Pork Country Style Ribs, Trotters and Fresh Hocks. (If just using CSR's 3-4Lbs is plenty)
1Lrg Onion (8oz), Chopped
1Lrg Rib Celery, Chopped
1Lrg Carrot, Chopped
3ea Whole Cloves Garlic
2ea Sprigs Thyme
1ea Bayleaf
5ea Stems of Cilantro
1tsp Kosher Salt
8Cups Water, or to cover meat.

The Soup Ingredients

2ea Ancho or Mulato Chiles
1ea Pasilla Chile
1ea Guajillo Chiles
Other Chiles as desired totaling 1-2oz

2C Diced Onions (1Lrg)
2C Diced Celery (2-3 Ribs)
2T Tomato Paste
3ea Cloves Garlic, minced
1tsp Fresh Thyme Leave (2-3 Sprigs)
1tsp Dry Mexican Oregano, or other.
2-3tsp Kosher Salt
1tsp Grnd Black Pepper
1/2tsp Grnd Cinnamon (1/2 Small Stick)
1/4tsp Grnd Cloves (4-5 Whole)
1/4tsp Grnd Cumin, or more to taste
1-14oz Can Diced Tomatoes
2-30oz Cans Posole, drained 

The Garnishes

Sliced Red Radishes
Diced Sweet Onion
Shredded Cabbage
Diced Avocado
Lime Wedges
Cilantro Leaves
Queso Fresco or other Grated Cheese (Jack,Cheddar, Etc.)
Crema* or Sour Cream

Crema (Mexican Style Sour Cream)

2C Heavy Cream
2T Buttermilk

Warm the Hvy Cream to 90°F.
Stir in the Buttermilk.
Pour the mixture in a clean, dry jar.
Place the lid loosely on top and let it ferment 24 hours, not just overnight, in a warm place.
If thickened,Tighten the lid, shake it up and refrigerate overnight before using.
If not thickened, try adding 2T more Buttermilk and let rest another 24 hours.
For use, stir the Crema and drizzle over Pozole or anything that you like to top with Sour Cream.
Crema is nicely Tangy but not as sour as Sour Cream.

Thankyou for sharing JJ. I have a recipe that is very similar. The only difference is I use more whole spices and give them a bout in a hot cast iron skillet prior to adding them into the broth. Pazole is soooo Grrrrrrreat!!
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

I use Whole toasted spices as well but posted it with ground measurement to make it easier for folks that have them little jars from McCorrmick...JJ

post #23 of 36
Thread Starter 
Chef JJ...Boss would like me to thank you for the Pazole recipe....and she is wondering if you have one for Menudo? That is one of the things she misses dearly from Phoenix.
post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post

Chef JJ...Boss would like me to thank you for the Pazole recipe....and she is wondering if you have one for Menudo? That is one of the things she misses dearly from Phoenix.

First off...Northern Mexican White with Posole, Southern Mexican Red no Posole or Tex-Mex Red with Posole. Did she have Menudo with just Honeycomb Tripe and Cow's Foot or was there Beef meat in as well? Menudo can be not a whole lot different than the Pozole. I have not made it as I am the only one that will eat it but I can give you a recipe. Menudo has simpler flavorings, just Onion, Garlic, Mex Oregano, Bayleaf, S & P and if Red, the same Chiles but they benefit from the whole soaking, pureeing and staining process. I can give you traditional with all the gelatinous tendon from the feet and tender tripe or give a recipe that is more Americanized, Tripe and Beef but still the rich gelatinous mouth feel of the classic. If you can have her PM me with a good description of what she likes I will find what I have and get her as close as possible...JJ

post #25 of 36

:icon_eek:  WOW!!  I just wanted to cook some hominy!  :icon_biggrin:  Thanks Cheff JJ!  Saved!

 

Ok inkjunkie waiting for the tamale thread.  Keep smokin!

Danny

post #26 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

First off...Northern Mexican White with Posole, Southern Mexican Red no Posole or Tex-Mex Red with Posole. Did she have Menudo with just Honeycomb Tripe and Cow's Foot or was there Beef meat in as well? Menudo can be not a whole lot different than the Pozole. I have not made it as I am the only one that will eat it but I can give you a recipe. Menudo has simpler flavorings, just Onion, Garlic, Mex Oregano, Bayleaf, S & P and if Red, the same Chiles but they benefit from the whole soaking, pureeing and staining process. I can give you traditional with all the gelatinous tendon from the feet and tender tripe or give a recipe that is more Americanized, Tripe and Beef but still the rich gelatinous mouth feel of the classic. If you can have her PM me with a good description of what she likes I will find what I have and get her as close as possible...JJ
She won't be home til tonight, will have her pm you...
post #27 of 36
Thread Starter 
Been talking to the boss about this. She informed me that we will be smoking the chuckie in the same manner she "cooks" the meat in the crockpot. What she does is puts some garlic cloves, onions and miscellaneous spices in the crockpot.
What she wants is just to grind up some chiles and use them as a rub, along with some garlic, onion powder,some of the sea salt & black pepper that we recently smoked.
I am thinking that we may foil at 160* or so. In the foil will be some of her favorite Tequila

along with some onions and garlic cloves.
Will be doing a test run of sorts tomorrow.
We normally use 20 pounds or so of meat. Plan is to grab a 2 pack of roasts from Cash & Carry. Which leads me to my next question, should I cut each roast in half to speed the process up or should I leave them together and be patient? I need to order another thermometer if I am going to cut them...unless I use the probe on the MES and the one from the DigiGuru I have for the BGE. I am open to any and all suggestions, so please fire away.
post #28 of 36

Ok if you are going to foil anyway why not just head for the crockpot at 160 with the rest of your plan that you specified? Unless of course you are doing other stuff on the smoker.

post #29 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post

Ok if you are going to foil anyway why not just head for the crockpot at 160 with the rest of your plan that you specified? Unless of course you are doing other stuff on the smoker.
Not 100% on the foiling. When we did the pulled pork, it was right at 9 pounds, we didn't foil...and we were fighting over the pieces of meat that had the bark...hmmmm....maybe we will do one roast foiled and one not. If the crockpot will be used what should be used for a liquid? This is uncharted territory for us...
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post


Not 100% on the foiling. When we did the pulled pork, it was right at 9 pounds, we didn't foil...and we were fighting over the pieces of meat that had the bark...hmmmm....maybe we will do one roast foiled and one not. If the crockpot will be used what should be used for a liquid? This is uncharted territory for us...

You could use a bit of that tequilla and some good mexican beer. That's probably the direction I would go unless I was low on tequilla. I love the stuff.

post #31 of 36

Foiling, whether in the Smoker or in the Oven is Braising, slow cooking in a moist environment, just like a Crock Pot. So if you foil, put the meat in a pan with what ever the Mrs likes in the CP, cover with Plastic Wrap AND Foil and stick it in a 300 to 325°F Oven. Figure 30 minutes per pound. Less if you cut them into smaller or thinner pieces. I regularly Braise 4 inch thick, 5 lb Chuckies to pull and they are always done in 4 hours or less. If you want Bark, go no foil and smoke at 275 or higher. You don't need a lot of liquid unless you are making Gravy. 2-3 Cups, total, Beef Broth plus, will be plenty...JJ

         

BTW: What did your Mrs' think of the Menudo recipe?


Edited by Chef JimmyJ - 2/17/15 at 7:49am
post #32 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Foiling, whether in the Smoker or in the Oven is Braising, slow cooking in a moist environment, just like a Crock Pot. So if you foil, put the meat in a pan with what ever the Mrs likes in the CP, cover with Plastic Wrap AND Foil and stick it in a 300 to 325°F Oven. Figure 30 minutes per pound. Less if you cut them into smaller or thinner pieces. I regularly Braise 4 inch thick, 5 lb Chuckies to pull and they are always done in 4 hours or less. If you want Bark, go no foil and smoke at 275 or higher. You don't need a lot of liquid unless you are making Gravy. 2-3 Cups, total, Beef Broth plus, will be plenty...JJ
         
BTW: What did your Mrs' think of the Menudo recipe?
She has not said much, least not that I can remember. She did mention that she wishes I liked Menudo, guess it would make making it a bit easier if I enjoyed it. I may give in and try some if she makes it. In the past her reasoning for not making it is it will be an awful lot of work for just one person to eat. Sorta sounds like a cop out to me....lol
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post


She has not said much, least not that I can remember. She did mention that she wishes I liked Menudo, guess it would make making it a bit easier if I enjoyed it. I may give in and try some if she makes it. In the past her reasoning for not making it is it will be an awful lot of work for just one person to eat. Sorta sounds like a cop out to me....lol

It freezes well. So when I make any high volume dishes where I am the only one eating. I portion into Zipper freezer bags, lay them flat on a cookie sheet and freeze them. They take up very little space and I am good to go anytime I have a taste...JJ

post #34 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

It freezes well. So when I make any high volume dishes where I am the only one eating. I portion into Zipper freezer bags, lay them flat on a cookie sheet and freeze them. They take up very little space and I am good to go anytime I have a taste...JJ
I relayed the freezing info, she said she is going to try it.
We have never been ones for leftovers. Don't really know why. The freezing/reheating in a bag/boiling water may change that. The few times we have reheated something out of the smoker it,did taste "fresh out of the smoker"....except for the first time when we left the bag in the water (boiling) for to long.
post #35 of 36

Ink,

 

I ordered a shot of tequila a few years ago at a Mexican restaurant…I’m just like that…I love a tequila shot with salt and lime and most margaritas are made way to weak for my alcoholism. I have also learned that if you dip your lime in to a little bit of sugar it becomes a margarita shot! Hell yea!

 

Anyway…the Mexican that owns the place asked me what brand I wanted. I said, “You’re the Mexican, you tell me”. He brought me a shot of Cazadores. I didn’t know it yet because he wanted me to taste it. I was instantly in love.

 

I haven’t bought another brand of tequila since…fortunately VA ABC carries it. The main larger local store has the 1.75 liter which is only $10 more than the 750ml. Love the stuff.

post #36 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef K-Dude View Post
 

Ink,

 

I ordered a shot of tequila a few years ago at a Mexican restaurant…I’m just like that…I love a tequila shot with salt and lime and most margaritas are made way to weak for my alcoholism. I have also learned that if you dip your lime in to a little bit of sugar it becomes a margarita shot! Hell yea!

 

Anyway…the Mexican that owns the place asked me what brand I wanted. I said, “You’re the Mexican, you tell me”. He brought me a shot of Cazadores. I didn’t know it yet because he wanted me to taste it. I was instantly in love.

 

I haven’t bought another brand of tequila since…fortunately VA ABC carries it. The main larger local store has the 1.75 liter which is only $10 more than the 750ml. Love the stuff.


I never had it prior to meeting Ernestina. She has not had a drink in years....but every now and then I will take a shot of it.......This got me thinking....Ernie used to bring an insulated cup out on to the floor of the USPS. I took a drink out of it one day and couldn't help but taste the booze in it. She just looked at me and laughed. Few nights later Kelly, our Boss at the time, asked if she could have a sip of Ernie's OJ. Without thinking she Ernie handed Kelly her drink...should have seen the look on Kellys face. Kelly and I were very friendly so all she did was laugh about it. From then on though she was stopping by Ernies work area every time she was near it to have a drink of OJ.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Chuck roast IT for pulling