or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoker Issue

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Hey guys! I'm brand new to this forum...this is my first post, but i've searched through it a lot to get tips and tricks.

 

I recently added the side firebox to my Char-griller smoker and I CANNOT get it above 150/175! What's the deal? I ended up putting my meat to one side of the smoker and smoking it indirectly within the main grill. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? 

 

I'm using regular charcoal and wood chips. Could the chips be my problem? Maybe I should use big ol' chunks.

 

I played with the grill for over an hour and whatever I did, i couldn't get it above 150/175. Trying to figure out what I did wrong so that I can smoke something next weekend using my new firebox.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

--David N

post #2 of 10

You might Check out these threads. You may need to burn larger chunks of wood.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/stickburning101

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/158153/need-advice-on-maintaining-temp-in-offset-stick-burner

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnolen View Post
 

Hey guys! I'm brand new to this forum...this is my first post, but i've searched through it a lot to get tips and tricks.

 

I recently added the side firebox to my Char-griller smoker and I CANNOT get it above 150/175! What's the deal? I ended up putting my meat to one side of the smoker and smoking it indirectly within the main grill. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? 

 

I'm using regular charcoal and wood chips. Could the chips be my problem? Maybe I should use big ol' chunks.

 

I played with the grill for over an hour and whatever I did, i couldn't get it above 150/175. Trying to figure out what I did wrong so that I can smoke something next weekend using my new firebox.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

 

--David N


David Welcome to SMF Stop by roll call and update your profile,

Where are you taking the temp, and what type thermometer are you using?

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 


David Welcome to SMF Stop by roll call and update your profile,

Where are you taking the temp, and what type thermometer are you using?

Will do tropics!

 

Well...I failed miserably! I think I was doing it right the entire time. Even though the temp on the smoker showed 150/175, the temp of the pork was right on track. I wonder if I should add another thermometer on the firebox. The temp on the main smoker may be misleading.

post #5 of 10

2 Things come to mind-

How much charcoal are you using?

Did you take the football shaped knockout out of the cooking chamber?

It's been a while since I got my CG and it occurs to me that there may be a similar knockout on the SFB, now that they are selling them as small grills.

I can easily get 300° in the cooking chamber with 2 fully lit chimneys of lump charcoal.

post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcarter View Post
 

2 Things come to mind-

How much charcoal are you using?

Did you take the football shaped knockout out of the cooking chamber?

It's been a while since I got my CG and it occurs to me that there may be a similar knockout on the SFB, now that they are selling them as small grills.

I can easily get 300° in the cooking chamber with 2 fully lit chimneys of lump charcoal.

 

I started off with 1 chimney full and a handful of wood chips. Then added another chimney full about 2-3 hours in.

 

I knocked them both out like the instructions stated.

post #7 of 10

You need to use chunks or splits. That is a stick burner you got there. Also you need to not go by the owners manual. I don't know who writes those things but. Well. Now you belong to the best bunch of  BBQ fanatics this side of. Well, this side of anywhere. We will get you straightened out in no time. Please include a general where you are in your profile so we can help you out more specifically. You know, say you live in Hawaii or no you live in Antarctica.... You get the picture right?

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnolen View Post
 

Will do tropics!

 

Well...I failed miserably! I think I was doing it right the entire time. Even though the temp on the smoker showed 150/175, the temp of the pork was right on track. I wonder if I should add another thermometer on the firebox. The temp on the main smoker may be misleading.


That is what I thought the problem be with the built in thermometer

I would get a maverick or some thing else to monitor both meat and CC glad it worked out for you

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnolen View Post
 

 

I started off with 1 chimney full and a handful of wood chips. Then added another chimney full about 2-3 hours in.

 

I knocked them both out like the instructions stated.

 

You need to use more charcoal, one chimney is not enough, especially if you are cooking in the cold. And you should be adding charcoal more frequently than every 2-3 hours IMHO.

Keep the SFB air intake wide open until you hit 275°-300° then close it, the pit should fall back to a "cruising" temp. If it stays high that's OK, let it ride.

post #10 of 10
Your biggest problem is trusting the faulty manufacturers thermometer... They are notoriously off ... Your best bet is a digital thermometer with the probe on the cooking grate next to the food.... The Mavericks ET-732 or ET-733 are very popular (I have 2 sets) ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion