inkjunkie, I did but without the breather holes for the air intake. I just finished the cleaning last night so when i'm done with work tonight I'll drill the holes and light her up again proper this time.
Was able to get ~70% to come off the top portion but closer to 25 on the lower portion of the drum. I tried washing it away after the burn but it was a no-go. Really worked it with Easy Off oven cleaner and a Magic Eraser last night. I was literally inside the drum getting at the bottom.
The downside to not having a grinder or access to a sand blaster. I'm going to try and get a solid burn again tonight, time allowing. This weekend will be smoke time though.