or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grinder - Page 2

post #21 of 35
I'd go for the super duty Hobart mixer and grinder... Lol

2324a40e1176332127b6276b79c0224a.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 35

Go big or go home, I guess. I could use one of those!

post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

I'd go for the super duty Hobart mixer and grinder... Lol

2324a40e1176332127b6276b79c0224a.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There'd be no sneaking that into the house! There are a couple of those beasts on Craigslist here!

post #24 of 35
I just checked my local craigslist....

No meat grinders but there is a poi grinder! ;)

e4698a653a418bd83103c85196b71153.jpg

I know I'm not helping any... ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #25 of 35

You know I just went thru all this myself. I ended up with the LEM#12. I got the LEM #12 because I use a 3/4" plate to do chili grind. I now do sausages but before I used a manual 12 just for the chili. I don't remember ever buying chili meat from a store, and hamburger don't make chili!! Hamburger in chili is almost as bad as beans!

 

Now that I am doing sausages, and I started with what I was accustomed to using, cajun, cajun hot, boudin, and andouille. The andouille was being hand cut into small pieces. Yes a bit time and labor intensive. I would have gone with a #5, and probably splurged on a #8, and might even have thought about a #10 had it really been available from a standard company I thought would still be around with parts and service in 10 or 20 years. But its just didn't happen.

 

I have alot more grinder than I'll ever need with the #12. But as with all motors, when its not over burdened <chuckles>, it lasts longer.  Think about those boys of yours, some day they will be proud to have a grinder or maybe a big green egg that someone lovingly rebuilt. I have my great great Grand Daddy's #12 manual grinder!

 

Unless you are processing, or selling sausages a # 12 is more than you'll ever need. Seriously.

 

Would I trade my #12 for what I really should have bought............... not a chance. I chop butts into 3" cubes (pull out that tape measure), grind a whole butt in less than a minute, and never use the stomper. The nicest thing is not the speed, the lack of noise nor the easy cleaning. Its not the ability to now grind for andouille and chili. Those were just all my excuses.

 

The nicest thing is how much I smile when I use it. Hell, I smile while cleaning it. There just ain't enough to grind !!

 

Thats how I feel. Its that feeling of driving a Humvee thru down town NYC and watching all the little cars scramble to get out the way! Maybe there is just a bit more of "Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor" in us than we would like to admitt!

 

 

I am just a proud Daddy, I keep pictures in my wallet..... ROFL.

post #26 of 35

DS, nice pics ,thanks for sharing. I would go with the biggest you can afford! Those poor dogs !!!:icon_biggrin:

post #27 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

I just checked my local craigslist....

No meat grinders but there is a poi grinder! ;)

e4698a653a418bd83103c85196b71153.jpg

I know I'm not helping any... ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

Yeah I don't think my wife will let me go to Hawaii to look at a grinder!

post #28 of 35

Which ever you decide on you will be happy. Who knows their may be a Hobart on Craigslist in the morning.

Happy smoken.

David

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

I just checked my local craigslist....

No meat grinders but there is a poi grinder! ;)

e4698a653a418bd83103c85196b71153.jpg

I know I'm not helping any... ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

LOL thats a grain crusher..........

 

 

Thats in the garage! I am going to have to order some poi seeds.

 

Come on now, thats funny!


Edited by Foamheart - 1/26/15 at 5:40pm
post #30 of 35
I have a LEM #12 grinder...meh!!...it's okay.
I had a bit of a problem with it...a bad auger stud.
The grinder is still under warranty...LEM gave me the run-around and and I had to threaten a bad review of the product before they'd send me a replacement $4.49 stud.
Needless to say, I think a lot less of LEM now.
Makes me wish I'd ordered a Cabela's...I've never had a problem with Cabela's customer service.
Anyway, the new stud is on the auger...haven't used it since the change, but will soon...hopefully it'll work better than the last one!!!!
post #31 of 35
I went from a kitchenaid a couple years ago to the LEM #5. Havent been happier. I normally process around 4 deer a year, along with various other sausages and burger. Runs like a champ. It was on sale for $200, so for me it was a no brainer. Never cloggs up like the kitchenaid. Not sure how I got through any deer with that. :)
post #32 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post

I have a LEM #12 grinder...meh!!...it's okay.
I had a bit of a problem with it...a bad auger stud.
The grinder is still under warranty...LEM gave me the run-around and and I had to threaten a bad review of the product before they'd send me a replacement $4.49 stud.
Needless to say, I think a lot less of LEM now.
Makes me wish I'd ordered a Cabela's...I've never had a problem with Cabela's customer service.
Anyway, the new stud is on the auger...haven't used it since the change, but will soon...hopefully it'll work better than the last one!!!!

Thanks for the input Martin I will give Cabela's a look for sure. I just wish there was one here Locally. Hunting Fishing Mecca here and the closest one is 3 hours away!

 

I still wish I could find some feedback on Coastal Brand. That is what one of our stores here that had LEM just started carrying. Looks very similar to LEM, and Cabela's products. I'm sure they are all made in the same place anyways and just branded differently.

post #33 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybball View Post

I went from a kitchenaid a couple years ago to the LEM #5. Havent been happier. I normally process around 4 deer a year, along with various other sausages and burger. Runs like a champ. It was on sale for $200, so for me it was a no brainer. Never cloggs up like the kitchenaid. Not sure how I got through any deer with that. :)

Thanks for the review of your #5. I know I won't be running 4 deer a year through what ever I end up with. But I do want the larger 1/2" diameter plate and it appears that I need to go up to the #8 or #12 to get it.

post #34 of 35

Case your welcome to run over and use my #12 if ya need it.

post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
 

Thanks for the input Martin I will give Cabela's a look for sure. I just wish there was one here Locally. Hunting Fishing Mecca here and the closest one is 3 hours away!

 

I still wish I could find some feedback on Coastal Brand. That is what one of our stores here that had LEM just started carrying. Looks very similar to LEM, and Cabela's products. I'm sure they are all made in the same place anyways and just branded differently.


I don't believe Cabela's offers a 1/2" plate for their #12, but I'm guessing the fitment is pretty much the same as other grinders.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage