or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › melted maverick temp prob?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

melted maverick temp prob?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to their maverick temp probes after a couple smokes. The black rubber inside the probe that seems to connect the wire to the probe seems to have melted. I use the probe to monitor ambient temp in my wsm and usually only work at temps 290f and below. I have only had about 6 smokes so i am new to temperature probes and smoking. Probe looks like it works but i am bothered by it. Appreciate your thoughts, anyone come across something like this?

Thanks!
Carlo
Edited by Carlo Olivares - 1/24/15 at 8:16am
post #2 of 10

Carlos

If it still works put a piece of heat shrink on it. While you are about it do the same to the other probe.

Happy smoken.

David

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Carlos
If it still works put a piece of heat shrink on it. While you are about it do the same to the other probe.
Happy smoken.
David

Hi david,

Thanks for the tip! I picked up some heat shrink but it was the wrong size (whoops) will get a bigger one.

Was wondering though if the heat in the smoker will be too hot for the heat shrink? Or based on your experience the heat shrink can withstand it?

Thanks
Carlo
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Olivares View Post


Hi david,

Thanks for the tip! I picked up some heat shrink but it was the wrong size (whoops) will get a bigger one.

Was wondering though if the heat in the smoker will be too hot for the heat shrink? Or based on your experience the heat shrink can withstand it?

Thanks
Carlo

It will be fine.

Happy smoken.

David

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks david!
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Olivares View Post

Thanks david!

thumb1.gif

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Olivares View Post

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to their maverick temp probes after a couple smokes. The black rubber inside the probe that seems to connect the wire to the probe seems to have melted. I use the probe to monitor ambient temp in my wsm and usually only work at temps 290f and below. I have only had about 6 smokes so i am new to temperature probes and smoking. Probe looks like it works but i am bothered by it. Appreciate your thoughts, anyone come across something like this?

Thanks!
Carlo


Where did you have this probe positioned? Sounds like you might have had it too close to the heat box of your WSM but I could be wrong. I have Masterbuilt electric smoker and I've had it up to 295° (long story) with both probes inside the smoker with no problems. I did have the plastic cord tie on top of my smoker near the top vent and THAT melted from the heat. That's why I'm asking you where in the WSM you placed the probe.

post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


Where did you have this probe positioned? Sounds like you might have had it too close to the heat box of your WSM but I could be wrong. I have Masterbuilt electric smoker and I've had it up to 295° (long story) with both probes inside the smoker with no problems. I did have the plastic cord tie on top of my smoker near the top vent and THAT melted from the heat. That's why I'm asking you where in the WSM you placed the probe.

 

for that smoke, I had the probe on the lower grate of the wsm - it was basically still above the water pan which should have diffused the heat. 

 

I did however leave the probe in the smoker even after i had pulled the meat out. I wonder if the smoker climbed up in temperature after that (i cant recall if i closed the vents after i pulled the meat out. 

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Olivares View Post
 

 

for that smoke, I had the probe on the lower grate of the wsm - it was basically still above the water pan which should have diffused the heat. 

 

I did however leave the probe in the smoker even after i had pulled the meat out. I wonder if the smoker climbed up in temperature after that (i cant recall if i closed the vents after i pulled the meat out. 


The meat acts as a heat sink so after it's removed all the heat the meat was absorbing now radiates up into the cooking chamber and if you left the probe wire on top of something hot and metallic, that's all she wrote. Remember that I wrote that one of the probe cord plastic ties melted when I left it next to the heat vent on top of my Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse. But I would think the plastic covering the cord would have been designed to withstand the WSM interior heat.

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daRicksta View Post
 


The meat acts as a heat sink so after it's removed all the heat the meat was absorbing now radiates up into the cooking chamber and if you left the probe wire on top of something hot and metallic, that's all she wrote. Remember that I wrote that one of the probe cord plastic ties melted when I left it next to the heat vent on top of my Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse. But I would think the plastic covering the cord would have been designed to withstand the WSM interior heat.


Thanks daRicksta

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Meat Thermometers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Meat Thermometers › melted maverick temp prob?