or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Pellet Smokers  › Work/prep shelf for Char-Griller pellet smoker?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Work/prep shelf for Char-Griller pellet smoker?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I snagged a Char-Griller Pellet Smoker from Lowes that someone returned and had never fired it up...and so far, I'm very pleased with the ease of use. Have done some think cut pork chops, and today did a couple of bone-in ribeye steaks along with some burgers...and WOW! Easy, and great flavor from the Char-Griller pellets! I'll play with the pellets and try some different woods as I go along since I'm kinda spoiled to,using different woods for different flavors in different meats.

I reall like this smoker, but the one thing I do miss is having a work/prep shelf to set a tray or tools on. On all of my wood burning units I've had an oak 2x12 running the entire length of the lid, and was wondering if anyone had found a good way to attach one, or if Char-Griller made one and I'm just not seeing it on the website.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!!

Greg
post #2 of 11

Can't seem to access the Char Grill website at the moment, but I have a Camp Chef and it seems their shelf might work:

http://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/accessories/pellet-grill-and-smoker-shelf.html

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardude View Post

I snagged a Char-Griller Pellet Smoker from Lowes that someone returned and had never fired it up...and so far, I'm very pleased with the ease of use. Have done some think cut pork chops, and today did a couple of bone-in ribeye steaks along with some burgers...and WOW! Easy, and great flavor from the Char-Griller pellets! I'll play with the pellets and try some different woods as I go along since I'm kinda spoiled to,using different woods for different flavors in different meats.

I reall like this smoker, but the one thing I do miss is having a work/prep shelf to set a tray or tools on. On all of my wood burning units I've had an oak 2x12 running the entire length of the lid, and was wondering if anyone had found a good way to attach one, or if Char-Griller made one and I'm just not seeing it on the website.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!!

Greg

I use the lid for some of the utensils or plates and hang my maverick from the lid on the pellet side. I'm curious to a modification as well if someone has done that already.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks, guys! I Looked at the link for the Camp Chef clamp on shelf and it looks like it might work. I do like more of a solid surface, but maybe use a piece of 1/2 decking covered with FRP bolted to it...
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardude View Post

Thanks, guys! I Looked at the link for the Camp Chef clamp on shelf and it looks like it might work. I do like more of a solid surface, but maybe use a piece of 1/2 decking covered with FRP bolted to it...

I'll get a small container of frp adhesive and glue it to the board instead of screws. I would think this would be easier to wash without the bumps and also not crack the fiberglass reinforced panel from trying to screw it.

I will make one when I have my own deck and maybe find a countertop shop with scrap butcher block top laying around.
post #6 of 11

Do keep in mind that the Camp Chef shelf attaches to the smoker body by sheet metal hooks. This may cause the lid to not fully close as tight as without it. On the Camp Chef smoker, this causes a small gap between the lid and body that allows smoke to escape especially during periods of high smoke. It's not really a big deal, because the smoke escaping around the lid has already passed over the food. But something you should be aware of. 

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinadam View Post

I'll get a small container of frp adhesive and glue it to the board instead of screws. I would think this would be easier to wash without the bumps and also not crack the fiberglass reinforced panel from trying to screw it.

I will make one when I have my own deck and maybe find a countertop shop with scrap butcher block top laying around.

Exactly....my plan is to attach the wood to the rack and then glue the FRP down so I have a smoot surface to wipe off!
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bregent View Post

Do keep in mind that the Camp Chef shelf attaches to the smoker body by sheet metal hooks. This may cause the lid to not fully close as tight as without it. On the Camp Chef smoker, this causes a small gap between the lid and body that allows smoke to escape especially during periods of high smoke. It's not really a big deal, because the smoke escaping around the lid has already passed over the food. But something you should be aware of. 

I've already ordered heat gasket material for the lid, and will make a slit in it for the shelf attachments.

Thanks!
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bregent View Post

Can't seem to access the Char Grill website at the moment, but I have a Camp Chef and it seems their shelf might work:
http://www.campchef.com/smokers-grills/accessories/pellet-grill-and-smoker-shelf.html

After looking at all the options, I ordered the one recomended from Camp Chef and got it today. So I had to try it on!

I have to say, not a bad little shelf for the money, and sturdy enough that I can bolt on a piece of 2x12 oak and have a very serviceable work space for my backyard smoker!

After looking at all the options, I ordered this one and got it today. So I had to try it on!

I have to say, not a bad little shelf for the money, and sturdy enough that I can bolt on a piece of 2x12 oak and have a very serviceable work space for my backyard smoker!

Thanks for the link, bregent!!!






post #10 of 11

You're welcome. Looks like a good fit. Please post another pic once you've added the 2x12.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bregent View Post

You're welcome. Looks like a good fit. Please post another pic once you've added the 2x12.

I will do it. I had originally thought maybe some 3/4 inch plywood with FRP, but this is sturdy enough to hold the oak 2x12, which is what I have on my trailer rig stick burner. The oak is hard enough to last, doubles as a cutting board, and cleans with a spray bottle of bleach and a garden hose or the garden sprayer of water we keep around for smokes on the big rig!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pellet Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Pellet Smokers  › Work/prep shelf for Char-Griller pellet smoker?