or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Summer sausage in muslin bags.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Summer sausage in muslin bags. - Page 3

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post

I have a recipe for old time no refrigeration needed.it is for a big batch but can be broken down.from St. Jacobs Ontario area.it gets cold smoked not hot about 90 degrees f for 5-7 days.66lb beef. 33lb pork side meat.64oz picking salt. 8oz pepper.8oz sodium nitrate.48oz sugar.mix well and stuff into Muslim or cotton cassing. Squeezing out all air.about the size of your wrist. Hang in a cool but not freezing place for 3-4 days to cure then put into a cold smoker at 80-90 deg for 5-7 days.they used this in the old days.just hang in a room and take what you want when you want it.

Goldeneagle, afternoon.... That recipe may not be safe... There is new stuff that will improve the safety factor... Cure #2 has nitrite and nitrate in it.... the nitrite is fast acting and the nitrate is slow acting and will do it's magic for months... Pure sodium nitrate is a bugger to use... Cure #2, for your 100# mixture of beef and pork is used at a rate of 4 oz. per 100 #'s... easy and safe.... If you are so inclined to try your recipe again, may I suggest using Cure #2, Prague Powder #2, they are all used in the same way....


post #42 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisswurst View Post


Great job.!! I have also used unbleached muslin bags for SS. Works fine. My only question is ... Is your cold room very cold.? Using cure 1 will not prevent spoilage indefinitely if the temp is not low enough. I also have a cold room in basement for Salami during winter. For the Salami , I used Cure  2. Your finished product looks great and thanks for the recipe !!! Weisswurst.

I just saw your post while messing around on the site. My cold room isn't very cold, only about 65°f. I added the cure #1 to prevent botulism and to give it that cured look and taste. The addition of ECA (encapsulated citric acid) is said to lower the pH enough to be shelf stable. But in my house,the kids and I eat it up so fast that it doesn't get a chance to go bad..lol
post #43 of 58

Thanks for the recipe Goldeneagle half of these are your recipe the only thing I did different was I added buttermilk to start the fermentation. The other 5 I spiced up a little with chilies and cayenne. They have been hanging for a week now and will be smoking them in the next day or two.

 

post #44 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend View Post

Thanks for the recipe Goldeneagle half of these are your recipe the only thing I did different was I added buttermilk to start the fermentation. The other 5 I spiced up a little with chilies and cayenne. They have been hanging for a week now and will be smoking them in the next day or two.


just saw this post. How did I miss this?. How did the sausage turn out? Any pics?
post #45 of 58

Let us know how they turn out,  

 

 

Gary

post #46 of 58
just saw this post. How did I miss this?. How did the sausage turn out? Any pics?

I forgot about this thread as well but have been enjoying the SS. For me the original recipe needs a little more Black Pepper. Other than that I am very happy with the out come and the 6 that are left are vacuum sealed in the meat cave to prevent them from getting to dry.


Summer Sausage with a little spice.

 


Original recipe.

post #47 of 58

Looks Great   Thumbs Up

 

Gary

post #48 of 58
Thread Starter 
Omg. That looks so good. Can you please post the recipe and how long you smoked it for and at what temp? I need this in my belly!!!
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post

I have a recipe for old time no refrigeration needed.it is for a big batch but can be broken down.from St. Jacobs Ontario area.it gets cold smoked not hot about 90 degrees f for 5-7 days.66lb beef. 33lb pork side meat.64oz picking salt. 8oz pepper.8oz sodium nitrate.48oz sugar.mix well and stuff into Muslim or cotton cassing. Squeezing out all air.about the size of your wrist. Hang in a cool but not freezing place for 3-4 days to cure then put into a cold smoker at 80-90 deg for 5-7 days.they used this in the old days.just hang in a room and take what you want when you want it.


Ontario smoker this is the recipe I used and prorated it for 20lbs of meat. I have been looking for my recipe notes they are not in the book I usually keep them in. I will post the recipe for the spiced SS when I find them.

 

I used readycure went by the manufactures recommendations so I omitted  the nitrate in the recipe. I used dextrose instead of sugar and cold smoked for only 6 hours due to time constraints but defiantly needs more. I also used buttermilk to start the fermentation.

 

John

post #50 of 58
Ontario smoker, have you ever been to wawa, Ontario? There is a place called Young's general store, and they sell sausage there that reminds me a lot of this.

We've been through there several times, and stop to pick some up whenever we go through
post #51 of 58

Ok I finally located the SS recipe and here it is. First of all I started off with 22lbs of meat and spiced all 22 with the first recipe for a predominantly pepper flavour, after stuffing 11lbs I added the second recipe to the remaining 11lbs to spice it up a little.

 

Recipe #1

 

16 lbs Beef

 

6 lbs pork Shoulder

 

7 oz Ready cure

 

2 oz Salt

 

1.6 oz Black pepper (I would use cracked next time)

 

10  oz Dextrose (for fermentation)

 

2 cups Buttermilk (lactic acid to start fermentation)

 

 

#2 this was added to the remaining 11 lbs for a little spice. It is not hot just a nice little after spice.

 

1.5 Tbs Chile flakes

 

1.5 Tbs  Mustard seed

 

1.5 Tbs  Hot paprika

 

2  Tsp  Cayenne pepper

 

Wet bags and stuffed this will help meat separate from bag when finished. Hang for a day or 2 for excess surface moisture to dry up. I then cold smoked with a hardwood blend of hickory and maple for only 6 hours due to time constraints ( not nearly long enough ). Hang in cold cellar @ 10c and 75ish relative humidity until at least 30% of the raw weight is lost.

 

P.S. this is my 3rd year and I think the best.

 

Enjoy

post #52 of 58
Thread Starter 
Sorry about the late reply, been busy learning to brew beer. Yes I've been to Wawa but can't say I've seen this sausage there. I have however found it locally from the Amish at the farmers market during the summer and fall. It's a bit pricey, so I'm hoping to make my own.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario smoker View Post

Sorry about the late reply, been busy learning to brew beer. Yes I've been to Wawa but can't say I've seen this sausage there. I have however found it locally from the Amish at the farmers market during the summer and fall. It's a bit pricey, so I'm hoping to make my own.

Did you stop at Young's general store? That's the only place I've had it from wawa
post #54 of 58
Thread Starter 
Can you please explain if possible the difference between ready cure and instacure? I haven't been to wawa in over 15years so unfortunately, I can remember much...lol
post #55 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontario smoker View Post

Can you please explain if possible the difference between ready cure and instacure? I haven't been to wawa in over 15years so unfortunately, I can remember much...lol

 

OS, evening....   Don't hold me to it....   but.....  If memory serves me correctly from a discussion about 1-2 months ago, ready cure is the name for Canadian cure #1... and it has only 1% nitrite or 1/2% nitrite in it....

Insta-cure, Prague Powder, DQ curing salt all have 6.25% nitrite....  and there are other "private" brands also....   It is important to know how much nitrite is in the product...


Edited by DaveOmak - 5/27/16 at 9:38pm
post #56 of 58

For 156 Ppm nitrite in the meat, add ~7 grams per pound...  and with that amount of ready cure, your meat will have ~ 1.5% salt...  Soooo, don't forget to cut back on salt...

post #57 of 58
Thread Starter 
Should I use prague#1 or #2 for this recipe? I figure #1 if I'm gonna cook it in the smoker and #2 if it's only cold smoked and hung to cure?
post #58 of 58
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Summer sausage in muslin bags.