I really considered not doing this post. I mean a timer is a timer. However, I have found I really like this.
I purchased a ThermoWorks BlueTherm Duo (See the review at http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/175570/thermoworks-blue-therm-duo#post_1298193). When I purchased it they had a deal on their Time Stick timer. My timer had just paced it in so I added it to the order.
I have used it for a while now and I really like it.
- The unit is well sealed with the buttons under a plastic layer. My old cheap timers would gum up with spills from the cooking. This just wipes clean.
- You can enter the numbers to get to the exact time you want instead of multiple presses or holding a button down.
- It is easy to get from mode to mode with a simple button push.
- The screen is easy to read.
- The alarm is loud enough to get your attention.
- It has a countdown mode, a count up timer, and a clock setting.
- It has a magnet on the back.
- It has a lanyard. I can't tell you how much I have loved this simple feature. If you have a timer set on a surface near your cook area or on the stove or microwave, you have to be there when it goes off. I set the timer and hang it around my neck and I am free to go do other things. It has a lock button if you are afraid of hitting a key while carrying it around. Now my wife does say I look like a nerd. However, she says that even when I don't have a timer hanging around my neck.
- It doesn't allow for multiple time settings.
- It doesn't have a back light.
- It is a little expensive ($25 at regular price).
In summary, this is a very easy to use timer that just does what it is supposed to. It is more expensive than many cheap timers but I suspect it's superior construction means it will outlast the cheap ones. I really like it. I hardly ever use the stove or microwave timers for long cooks any more.