or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip roast.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tri Tip roast.....

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Picked up a 20 pound pack of them the other day. The Boss and I just finished trimming the five of them. 4 of them got vacuum sealed and put in the freezer. The fifth got a dry rub done to it and will be getting done over the weekend. Ernie and i have differing opinions on when beef is done. I prefer med rare or so....Ernie demands a saddening shade of grey....any issue with us cutting it in half prior to going into the smoker?

post #2 of 16

Could you just cut it when it comes up to 130ish for you, foil and wrap in towels and continue with the other peace until desired shoe-leather-ness is achieved?

post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo007 View Post

Could you just cut it when it comes up to 130ish for you, foil and wrap in towels and continue with the other peace until desired shoe-leather-ness is achieved?

You would lose all of the juices that way. It would be better to cut it in half
post #4 of 16

Both ends will cook more than the middle.

 

If done carefully, there will be cuts to serve all.

 

Another way would be to cook it to med rare.  Place his slices in some au jus at poaching temps until the desired ruining is reached?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #5 of 16
Venture has you covered, slice her portions after the rest and finish it in Au jus.
post #6 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
 

Both ends will cook more than the middle.

 

If done carefully, there will be cuts to serve all.

 

Another way would be to cook it to med rare.  Place his slices in some au jus at poaching temps until the desired ruining is reached?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

Thank You.....next question....anyone got a simple to make Au Jus recipe?

post #7 of 16
The easiest is the store bought packet kind, just add water. For a super fantastic one, search here for Chef JJ's Smokey Au Jus.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

The easiest is the store bought packet kind, just add water. For a super fantastic one, search here for Chef JJ's Smokey Au Jus.

May try the store bought packet kind....just for it being easy. Will like for Chef JJ's version, I think I may have subscribed to it just so I could find it, will have to look. WOuld be open to any and all suggestions....

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

Might try this...

 

Easy Au Jus Ingredients:

  • olive oil, just enough to saute
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (I use jarred)
  • 1/8 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon flour

Easy Au Jus Directions:

  1. Caramelize the onions in a small amount of olive oil. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two more.
  2. Deglaze the pot with white wine, then add Worcestershire sauce and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Add beef broth and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Strain broth and then return it to pot. Add flour and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!
post #10 of 16

A really simple AuJus I use sometimes is just a can of Beef Consomme, and a teaspoon or so (to taste) of Better than Bouillion paste. Works great, not too salty or bitter.

post #11 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbogo View Post

A really simple AuJus I use sometimes is just a can of Beef Consomme, and a teaspoon or so (to taste) of Better than Bouillion paste. Works great, not too salty or bitter.
Excuse the ignorance but never heard of Beef Consomme...would you kindly explain what it is?
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post

Excuse the ignorance but never heard of Beef Consomme...would you kindly explain what it is?

A consommé is a clarified type of soup. It's clarified using egg whites, mirepoix (onions, celery and carrots) and usually whatever protein the broth is made from.
post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

A consommé is a clarified type of soup. It's clarified using egg whites, mirepoix (onions, celery and carrots) and usually whatever protein the broth is made from.
Thanks
post #14 of 16

Most grocery stores stock it, campbells soup makes it, thats what I use. It's with all the other boring non-descript soup cans........

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Going in...

On the cutting board.
Took 2 hours and 5 minutes at 220*.Pulled at 141*, foiled and into a cooler full of towels. 35 minutes later temperature hadn't changed.

Thought she was going to have a heart attack when she saw the pink color and the amount of juice. But she went back for seconds. By far the best tasting Tri Tip I have ever done. Can't wait until the next one.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkjunkie View Post

Going in...

On the cutting board.
Took 2 hours and 5 minutes at 220*.Pulled at 141*, foiled and into a cooler full of towels. 35 minutes later temperature hadn't changed.

Thought she was going to have a heart attack when she saw the pink color and the amount of juice. But she went back for seconds. By far the best tasting Tri Tip I have ever done. Can't wait until the next one.

I'll give you points for that! Nice looking smoke! Tri tip is meant to be served pink!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Tri Tip roast.....