My local grocer has a 25 lb., whole pork shoulder on sale for $1 per pound. I'll have to carry a tape measure with me to see if it will fit, but if it does, what kind of time I am looking to smoke a shoulder that size? I'm guessing 24 hours, but since I have never done one, thought I would seek some advice. We are having a real cold spell right now in NC, so the outside temp's will be below or right at freezing most of the time I have it on the smoker.
- productWeber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smokertagged by Bama BBQ, 1/25/15
Related Forum Threads
- Water versus Sand in the WSM? Last post on 1/30/16 at 5:25pm in Pork
- New to smoke, Weber 18.5 Smokey Mountain or MES Last post on 5/18/16 at 7:05am in Roll Call
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- WSM 18.5 has a new probe modification now? Anybody else know about this? Last post on 1/9/15 at 3:34pm in Charcoal Smokers
Our three year old Traeger developed huge rust spots inside and out despite careful maintenance. It was always covered when not in use and stored inside for the winter. Paint peeled in big sheets...
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have done them in the 20 lb range. If you can get good smoke at 300 degrees it will go about an hour per pound. If you want low and slow figure 2 hours per pound. I myself never jack the temp to get butts done in short order, but lots of folks do.
- Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
- › Burger Blowout Winners!!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Where to start... 25 minutes ago
- › Smoked Brined Chicken ~ Foamheart 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Question on curing bacon 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › Smokin' Mac 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › brisket injection 2 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › UMAI vs standard casings 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Cold smoke generators 2 hours, 28 minutes ago
- › 1946 General Electric Fridge/Smoker Update 3 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Baby Back Ribs for a Party - Timing Question 3 hours, 27 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS