My local grocer has a 25 lb., whole pork shoulder on sale for $1 per pound. I'll have to carry a tape measure with me to see if it will fit, but if it does, what kind of time I am looking to smoke a shoulder that size? I'm guessing 24 hours, but since I have never done one, thought I would seek some advice. We are having a real cold spell right now in NC, so the outside temp's will be below or right at freezing most of the time I have it on the smoker.
- productWeber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smokertagged by Bama BBQ, 1/25/15
Popular Group Discussions
Smoked English cut beef short ribs. 9 posts | Last post on January 15, 2017 at 9:26 am
Related Forum Threads
- Water versus Sand in the WSM? Last post on 1/30/16 at 5:25pm in Pork
- New to smoke, Weber 18.5 Smokey Mountain or MES Last post on 5/18/16 at 7:05am in Roll Call
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- WSM 18.5 has a new probe modification now? Anybody else know about this? Last post on 1/9/15 at 3:34pm in Charcoal Smokers
I've had my Daniel Boone for 3 years or so. Smoked countless briskets, pork butts, turkey, tri tip, prime ribs, summer sausage, pepperoni, brats, jerky, fish....the list goes on and on. Always has...
I have A 5x8 Smoke Box, And A Twelve inch Smoke Tube. Stop By A-maze-n Store Today To Pick Up Thermometer. And Todd Took Care Of Me, He is Excellent to work with, even sent me home with some free...
I bought this unit because I was tired of the cheap thermometers at the store. Little did I realize what an improvement this was going to be. The oven probe showed that my smoker was 23 degrees...
Ive ground and mixed 60 + pounds of meat so far in 20-25 lbs batches. 1st, it does a much better job than I did manually with out over working the meat. I need to work on my setup a bit to make the...
So I purchased a GMG Jim Bowie prior to owning my Blaz'n Grill GridIron. I had problems from the start and eventually sold it after owning it for a little over 3 months. I paid more than double for...
Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have done them in the 20 lb range. If you can get good smoke at 300 degrees it will go about an hour per pound. If you want low and slow figure 2 hours per pound. I myself never jack the temp to get butts done in short order, but lots of folks do.
- Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
- › Dry Cure Meat - Salami; NEWBIE 5 seconds ago
- › Stanky Moose jerky 2 minutes ago
- › The new guy 6 minutes ago
- › Venison steaks & filet 7 minutes ago
- › Summer Sauage in the rain 11 minutes ago
- › Smoking time with a Masterbuilt 30" electric 13 minutes ago
- › Fassetts breakfast sausage COLD SMOKED 13 minutes ago
- › Make a new supply of Brown Sugar cured bacon!!! 14 minutes ago
- › New to SMF & Looking for some good dry rub recipes 15 minutes ago
- › Anova Cooler and Tri Tip 19 minutes ago
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › 7-Gal. Mixer Attachment with Tilt by TripleQ
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by FBI Van Outside
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by miked945
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Vajinyan
- › Slow 'N Sear by ammaturesmoker
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Dabnet795
- › Char Broil Offset Smoker American Gourmet Deluxe Grill by Face
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine
- › Seasonings & Marinades
- › Tying a Butcher's Knot