My local grocer has a 25 lb., whole pork shoulder on sale for $1 per pound. I'll have to carry a tape measure with me to see if it will fit, but if it does, what kind of time I am looking to smoke a shoulder that size? I'm guessing 24 hours, but since I have never done one, thought I would seek some advice. We are having a real cold spell right now in NC, so the outside temp's will be below or right at freezing most of the time I have it on the smoker.
- productWeber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18.5-Inch Smokertagged by Bama BBQ, 1/25/15
Related Forum Threads
- Water versus Sand in the WSM? Last post on 1/30/16 at 5:25pm in Pork
- New to smoke, Weber 18.5 Smokey Mountain or MES Last post on 5/18/16 at 7:05am in Roll Call
- Overnight 1st brisket smoke with pics! Last post on 2/5/15 at 1:22pm in Beef
- The function or funtions of the water pan in the "WSM". Last post on 10/21/15 at 8:16am in WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)
- WSM 18.5 has a new probe modification now? Anybody else know about this? Last post on 1/9/15 at 3:34pm in Charcoal Smokers
First off, this is our first smoker. Wanted something that was "set it and forget it" like the Costco road show guy said. We bought our first one last August....my Birthday present! The next day we...
Bought this at Menards after returning a Traeger Texan to Costco. The Pitt Boss is a little smaller, has the broiler feature, has a upper cooking rack, has a shelf under the cook chamber is $400...
Unless you are cooking for 1 or 2, don't get this as your main grill/smoker. On the other hand, if you already have a larger grill/smoker that you use for big cooks and want something to use for...
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have done them in the 20 lb range. If you can get good smoke at 300 degrees it will go about an hour per pound. If you want low and slow figure 2 hours per pound. I myself never jack the temp to get butts done in short order, but lots of folks do.
- Question about a whole shoulder on WSM 18.5
- › Step away from the pit! BBQ Shrimp, Cajun Style 46 seconds ago
- › Mak 1 Star use questions from a WSM owner 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Streaky bacon on the Smokin-It#3 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Jeff's sauce 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Butcher paper vs foiling 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Mr. T's "Bad Boy CSR's" 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Hello SMF hunters from Cajun Country! 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Elk Burgers. 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › Pastrami on the Smoker (Que Vue) 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › First time Pork Top Loin Roast 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...