I'm looking to smoke my first rack or two of ribs in a couple of weeks. I've been scouring the forums and the internet and have found some information, but I'm hoping some of y'all can help me out a little, as I still have several questions.
I'm planning to go with the 3-2-1 method, as I have loin back ribs. I have a Brinkmann Electric Smoke N' Grill.
1) Should I only put wood on during the first and third stages, and then for the second stage, just have (primarily, as I don't plan on cleaning out the smoker in between) the lava rocks providing all of the heat?
2) How many wood chunks are ideal? I don't know what size(s) I have out back right now - sometimes have to use 5-6 if I have small chunks
3) With the Brinkmann Electric, do I need to soak the wood chunks in advance? Most of the info I've seen online says don't soak the wood at all...but I thought I'd seen somewhere that the Brinkmann ALWAYS needs the wood soaked to reduce the possibility of flare-ups and such.
4) For stage 2 - I've got a pretty good list of the typical "ingredients" to choose from. But what I don't yet have is an idea of how to determine the ratios of the various types of ingredients. Is that basically just "dependent on personal taste"? I'm not anywhere close to a trained chef, so I would almost be just mixing things up and tasting as I go
5) Also for stage 2 - are there any particular categories of ingredients that tend to go well together, or again, is the combination of ingredients just according to personal taste? Any particular combinations of initial dry rub and stage 2 mixture that go well together or that should be avoided (if needed I can share what I think my dry rub is going to be - just wondering how to select a stage 2 mixture to complement the initial dry rub, whatever it may be.
6) Lastly, for stage 2 again - are there any ingredients that are "necessary" for stage 2? For example, must one ALWAYS include a liquid in the mixture?
I think I'm going to try smoking the ribs over apple wood, maybe with some black walnut thrown in.
Edited by AZTiger98 - 1/6/15 at 11:10pm