or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Smoking in high humidity and warm temperatures
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Smoking in high humidity and warm temperatures

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hi All,

 

I'm a newbie to smoking  - just bought a 18.5 WSM and had it shipped to the philippines. I'm only on my second smoke.

 

I noticed that i go through Kingsford Orignal Briquettes pretty quickly during a 10 hour smoke - I almost use up one 16 lbs bag (maybe 1/5th left).

 

On both my smokes I use the minion method that i learned in the forums - the first time, I scattered 20 lit briquettes over the unlit' the second time, i poured the 20 lit briquettes into the empty space in the middle of the unlit briquettes.

 

Does humidity play a role in going through the coals? I'm at sealevel, about 79 - 81 F, with 74% humidity.

 

In your experience, does higher humidty mean I should use more coals when i start and will eventually burn through more? I've heard that the drier the humidity, the easier a fire a burns.

 

The pulled pork turned out nice though!!

 

Thanks,

Carlo

post #2 of 13
I'd say don't worry about humidity! I smoke year round in a similar climate and I only worry about getting the smoker to the correct temp and keeping it there for the duration of the smoke.

If I may I'd love to see some Filipino themed smokes! Lechon, kilawan, chicaron, chicken papaya with kalamunguay... Please no balut!!!
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

I'd say don't worry about humidity! I smoke year round in a similar climate and I only worry about getting the smoker to the correct temp and keeping it there for the duration of the smoke.

If I may I'd love to see some Filipino themed smokes! Lechon, kilawan, chicaron, chicken papaya with kalamunguay... Please no balut!!!


Thanks Welshrarebit! ill keep monitoring temps

 

Definitely no balut. Youre pretty familiar with Filipino food!

 

I've been considering making a Cebu Lechon themed smoke. Have you ever tried Cebu lechon? (Cebu is a city/ island in the Visayas Region and they make the  best lechon in the country. Its the same city Anthony Bourdain claimed to "have the best pig ever".

 

Interestingly Filipino roasts dont have a smoke ring. Im not quite sure why that is.  But western style BBQ does. Maybe its because traditional Filipino BBQ is over an open fire and the gasses/ smoke does not react with the meat as much as with an enclosed smoker?

 

In case you're interested, i found this pork belly lechon recipe online. Will try smoking it in a WSM instead of roasting in the oven.

 

Cheers,
Carlo

http://thehungrygiant.net/2013/10/08/pork-belly-lechon/

post #4 of 13

Carlo what is the temp. at the grate level? Look at some of the WSM post for baskets to keep the coal in. My wife and I have a place in Pasay

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Carlo what is the temp. at the grate level? Look at some of the WSM post for baskets to keep the coal in. My wife and I have a place in Pasay


Hi Richie

 

For my first smoke i maintained temp between 225/230 to 250F for about 6 hours. On my second smoke, I kept temp at around 250 to 275. I did flare up to around 350F or so for about an hour but worked to bring the temp down by closing vents.

 

Do you visit your place alot? Is your wife Filipina? I live in Paranaque - not too far away. I have family in pasay too - near Roxas Boulevard and the airport.

post #6 of 13

Wife is a Filipina we are at the ratonda , was there 3 yrs. ago maybe this spring we go back.

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
They featured the pasay rotonda area in the movie Bourn Legacy (least i think they did!).
post #8 of 13

Carlo

Nice looking PP!

At the end of the day you might use 1 more or less briquette due to humidity. Since you can't change it don't worry about it. Learn to control you heat and keep the lid on and enjoy the ride.

Happy smoken.

David

post #9 of 13
Can't wait to see your next smoke!

Pulutan!!! Everything goes better with beer... ;)
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Carlo
Nice looking PP!
At the end of the day you might use 1 more or less briquette due to humidity. Since you can't change it don't worry about it. Learn to control you heat and keep the lid on and enjoy the ride.
Happy smoken.
David

Thanks David!
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

Can't wait to see your next smoke!



Pulutan!!! Everything goes better with beer... ;)

It does! And you cant beat san miguel pale pilsen prices!
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Olivares View Post

It does! And you cant beat san miguel pale pilsen prices!

I was grabbing some beers tonite after work and saw San miguel pale Pilsner on sale... I couldn't do it! I grabbed some PBRs.

One plus one... Magellan!
Two plus two... Lapu Lapu!
Four plus four equals eight...
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

I was grabbing some beers tonite after work and saw San miguel pale Pilsner on sale... I couldn't do it! I grabbed some PBRs.

One plus one... Magellan!
Two plus two... Lapu Lapu!
Four plus four equals eight...

They carry that? :) wow! Or is it only available in filipino specialty stores?

I love bluemoon though! I dont think there is a distributor here but a couple bars carry every so often.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Smoking in high humidity and warm temperatures