I want to make "cheap" beef jerky. I would like it when finished to be about 1/2"x1/2"x6" and "chewy" dry not "cracker" dry.
I DO NOT want to use soy sauce, rather I want a traditional salty cracked pepper smoke taste.
1. What wood do you recommend?
2. What cut of beef should I use?
3. What are my starting dimensions if I want a finished dimension of about 1/2" x 1/2" x 6"?
4. I assume I marinade with salt etc. before smoking?
5. please submit a recipe for brine or salting for me?
6. I have a propane smoker what temp and how long a lb do I smoke?
7. I assume I cut it into the pieces before brine or smoking?
8. I have a nylon bag I was going to dry it in - any rule of thumb for drying time?
9. Should drying be done in sunlight or in shade?
10. What did I not ask or tell for this project?