I have an MES 30" smoker and will be smoking a 16 3/4 pound turkey. I have a general idea of how I want to do this after reading several posts on the forums, however, I could definitely use some assistance on multiple questions I have because I have never done this before. I have had my smoker for about 6 months and have smoked multiple types of meat so far and all have turned out great thanks to all the people on this site providing rookies like me with many years of knowledge. I need to tap into all that great knowledge again, thank you to any that can help.
My plan is to use the Slaughterhouse brine for 24 hours, I have a few questions on this:
1. Because it is store bought, should i use less salt in the brine?
2. After I take the turkey out of the brine, how long should it sit before I do my rub?
I am planning on using a poultry rub I really like on this bird and will use EVOO to coat it on and under the skin, I am not planning on doing injections. For the smoking, I am planning on using Applewood chips (I like the tangy flavor they give to poultry), but I am open to suggestions. I am going to smoke it at 275 degrees.
1. Any ideas for what to put in the turkey's cavity for flavor?
2. I am trying to get a rough cooking time estimate, any ideas?
3. Is EVOO ok to coat the turkey in or am I better off with melted butter?
4. Any suggestions for what to put in the water pan in the smoker, (beer, water, apple juice)?
Thanks in again to any help you all can provide me!
Dave from L.A.