Well its time, I just started smoking my first summer sausage on a cold Michigan morning. I'm using hickory wood on a charcoal smoker. What temp should I maintain and how long? QVIEW to follow....
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage Last post on 12/19/14 at 4:51pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
This thermometer is very accurate and the distance to the monitor is really good. I have had no problems with the probes as others have stated. BUT......it is a big pain to program!!!! Actually I...
First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I would start at 110° the after an hour bump to 120° and then 2 hours later bump to 130°. 2 hours later bump to 150° 1 hour later bump to 180°. Remove from smoker at 150° The carry over heat should finish to 153° - 154°
Nothing wrong with Mule's technique.
I do it slightly different. I'd place in a 120-130*F smoker and smoke for 3 to 4 hrs then raise the temp to 160*F. Once the internal temp of 152*F is reached shower the sausage with cold water until an internal temp of 120*F is reached then let hang dry for a couple hours at room temp to bloom. Refrigerate 24 hrs slice and enjoy! Just the way I was taught I guess.
I haven't done sausage in a charcoal smoker so I dont know how easy it is to regulate the temp as described above [ Those methods i do agree with and are a great outline though]. Dont see a thermometer of any kind in that stick to keep track of the internal temp. If you can keep the temp under 200 [ I have done summer at 225 in the oven from start to finish with no problem [see my bacon summer thread], it should be ok also. Just pull the stick at the internal the guy's above suggested and give that stick a cold water bath also and you should be fine. Let us know how it worked out. I know it's tempting but dont slice into it until it's been resting in the frige overnight. Reinhard
- First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › ham curing days set in stone? 3 minutes ago
- › is there a good reason not to use a 60L barrel in a MiniWSM build ? 3 minutes ago
- › Smoked Tialpia on Little Chief 4 minutes ago
- › newbie 125 gallon reverse flow build the start 6 minutes ago
- › Cold smoking hard boiled eggs the EASY way 8 minutes ago
- › Rib Steaks in The Snow 16 minutes ago
- › Roll Call 20 minutes ago
- › Fillet Mignon Sammies 20 minutes ago
- › I know what I'm doing this weekend... 29 minutes ago
- › WSM sale question 29 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations