Well its time, I just started smoking my first summer sausage on a cold Michigan morning. I'm using hickory wood on a charcoal smoker. What temp should I maintain and how long? QVIEW to follow....
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage Last post on 12/19/14 at 4:51pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
I've had my RecTec 680 for about three weeks or so. I've already cooked on it about 10 times I imagine. I've got baby backs smoking on it right now. This smoker is worth every penny you'll pay for...
I got this because smoking on my Weber kettle gets a little crowded. In stock form, this thing would probably be pretty useless. I was able to mod it with very little extra money because I...
after my seasoning run and 1st smoking session, I had to alter the unit..closed firebox to chamber up some and added a 3/16 plate deflector on top of it so heat and smoke ran more directly into...
Smoker is everything you need as a novice or pro. I converted my smoker to natural gas. Extremely easy conversion explained by the company on their website. Bought the #51 drill bit at Ace Hardware...
I was on a waiting list to get my Timberline 1300. Now having owned it 6 weeks, It has become a $2000 paperweight that occupies space on my deck. Avoid this grill, Traeger likes to tout their world...
First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I would start at 110° the after an hour bump to 120° and then 2 hours later bump to 130°. 2 hours later bump to 150° 1 hour later bump to 180°. Remove from smoker at 150° The carry over heat should finish to 153° - 154°
Nothing wrong with Mule's technique.
I do it slightly different. I'd place in a 120-130*F smoker and smoke for 3 to 4 hrs then raise the temp to 160*F. Once the internal temp of 152*F is reached shower the sausage with cold water until an internal temp of 120*F is reached then let hang dry for a couple hours at room temp to bloom. Refrigerate 24 hrs slice and enjoy! Just the way I was taught I guess.
I haven't done sausage in a charcoal smoker so I dont know how easy it is to regulate the temp as described above [ Those methods i do agree with and are a great outline though]. Dont see a thermometer of any kind in that stick to keep track of the internal temp. If you can keep the temp under 200 [ I have done summer at 225 in the oven from start to finish with no problem [see my bacon summer thread], it should be ok also. Just pull the stick at the internal the guy's above suggested and give that stick a cold water bath also and you should be fine. Let us know how it worked out. I know it's tempting but dont slice into it until it's been resting in the frige overnight. Reinhard
- First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Garlic dill pickles UPDATE! READY TO EAT IN 3 DAYS WITH VAC CANISTER 44 minutes ago
- › Northern Newbie With New Smoker 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Hello all you Meat Smokers out there! 2 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Regular Ole New Guy. 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Johnson Custom BBQ Smokers, anyone have one? 3 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › new build of a reverse flow smoker(pics) 5 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Rear center firebox build help 6 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Smoker 6 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › No Wrap Ribs 6 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 40" digital electric smoker, model G2ESU40BSW 6 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by SenseiRogue
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by jdkimbro
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ