Well its time, I just started smoking my first summer sausage on a cold Michigan morning. I'm using hickory wood on a charcoal smoker. What temp should I maintain and how long? QVIEW to follow....
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage Last post on 12/19/14 at 4:51pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
Our three year old Traeger developed huge rust spots inside and out despite careful maintenance. It was always covered when not in use and stored inside for the winter. Paint peeled in big sheets...
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I would start at 110° the after an hour bump to 120° and then 2 hours later bump to 130°. 2 hours later bump to 150° 1 hour later bump to 180°. Remove from smoker at 150° The carry over heat should finish to 153° - 154°
Nothing wrong with Mule's technique.
I do it slightly different. I'd place in a 120-130*F smoker and smoke for 3 to 4 hrs then raise the temp to 160*F. Once the internal temp of 152*F is reached shower the sausage with cold water until an internal temp of 120*F is reached then let hang dry for a couple hours at room temp to bloom. Refrigerate 24 hrs slice and enjoy! Just the way I was taught I guess.
I haven't done sausage in a charcoal smoker so I dont know how easy it is to regulate the temp as described above [ Those methods i do agree with and are a great outline though]. Dont see a thermometer of any kind in that stick to keep track of the internal temp. If you can keep the temp under 200 [ I have done summer at 225 in the oven from start to finish with no problem [see my bacon summer thread], it should be ok also. Just pull the stick at the internal the guy's above suggested and give that stick a cold water bath also and you should be fine. Let us know how it worked out. I know it's tempting but dont slice into it until it's been resting in the frige overnight. Reinhard
- First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › First timer smoking and with new 18" WSM 2 minutes ago
- › Whole hog rub recipe 1 hour ago
- › Bourbon-soaked chips? Non-oak? 1 hour, 19 minutes ago
- › New guy with lots to learn and my smoker just quit with a pork loin... 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Burger Blowout Winners!!!! 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › Where to start... 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Smoked Brined Chicken ~ Foamheart 3 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Question on curing bacon 3 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Smokin' Mac 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › brisket injection 4 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS