Well its time, I just started smoking my first summer sausage on a cold Michigan morning. I'm using hickory wood on a charcoal smoker. What temp should I maintain and how long? QVIEW to follow....
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/20/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage Last post on 12/19/14 at 4:51pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Smoking Gadgets and Tools.
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I would start at 110° the after an hour bump to 120° and then 2 hours later bump to 130°. 2 hours later bump to 150° 1 hour later bump to 180°. Remove from smoker at 150° The carry over heat should finish to 153° - 154°
Nothing wrong with Mule's technique.
I do it slightly different. I'd place in a 120-130*F smoker and smoke for 3 to 4 hrs then raise the temp to 160*F. Once the internal temp of 152*F is reached shower the sausage with cold water until an internal temp of 120*F is reached then let hang dry for a couple hours at room temp to bloom. Refrigerate 24 hrs slice and enjoy! Just the way I was taught I guess.
I haven't done sausage in a charcoal smoker so I dont know how easy it is to regulate the temp as described above [ Those methods i do agree with and are a great outline though]. Dont see a thermometer of any kind in that stick to keep track of the internal temp. If you can keep the temp under 200 [ I have done summer at 225 in the oven from start to finish with no problem [see my bacon summer thread], it should be ok also. Just pull the stick at the internal the guy's above suggested and give that stick a cold water bath also and you should be fine. Let us know how it worked out. I know it's tempting but dont slice into it until it's been resting in the frige overnight. Reinhard
- First smoked summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › questions on curing jerky 9 minutes ago
- › Thinking about making the switch from wood fired smoker to a pellet... 22 minutes ago
- › Looking for thin metal serving trays 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Pit controllers.... 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Porcupine damages 2 hours, 5 minutes ago
- › Silly question 2 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Look who is cold smoking cheese AND butter baby! 2 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › Begrudgingly keeping my mom's tradition alive...The (seemingly)... 2 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Only in Canada 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Only in Canada 2 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma