Ok, so I do have a question, or 2 or 3. lol. Anyway, I am curing a 10 lb ham, but I'm wondering if I've ruined it since I boiled the brine with the cure in it. I just brought it up to a boil which is 203 degrees at my altitude, then cooled it. There was nothing on the package that said to mix it in cooled brine or water. I've since read I needed to put it in cooled brine? Any thoughts? Don't want to make the family sick at Christmas, and this is my first time doing a fresh ham. Any info would help me at this point. I'm smoking the ham if I feel it's ok.
- productHome Curing Of Bacon And Hamstagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- How to cut Buckboard Bacon Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:18pm in Smoking Bacon
- Tribute To My Pap - Dry Cured Ham, Sausage, CB, BBB, Dried Beef Last post on 5/19/14 at 5:38pm in Pork
- Picnic Ham? Last post on 12/25/14 at 6:13am in Curing
- Ham and Canadian Bacon with Pop's Brine and Pork Loin Last post on 11/2/13 at 8:15am in Smoking Bacon
- Canadian bacon, Ham from a loin and pulled ham from a pork butt Last post on 7/5/13 at 8:04am in Pork
Bought this at Menards after returning a Traeger Texan to Costco. The Pitt Boss is a little smaller, has the broiler feature, has a upper cooking rack, has a shelf under the cook chamber is $400...
Unless you are cooking for 1 or 2, don't get this as your main grill/smoker. On the other hand, if you already have a larger grill/smoker that you use for big cooks and want something to use for...
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
My cured ham question
Let's have more info. What kind of ham? does it have a bone? how thick is it? was the 203° when the ham went in? what was the temp of the ham? What did you do with it when you dropped the ham in? I am betting that you don't have time to cure any ham between now and Christmas. You will probably have half cured ham. If so you will have to hot smoke it or hot cook it.
It will not be cured. It will be a little cured but a lot more like a fresh ham at 5 days you could only cure about a inch and a half without injecting. The fact that you injected would add a little more. Without knowing how much injection and how it was done I can't say how much you are curing from the inside out.
Lets say for the sake of argument that you injected enough to have the inside of the ham as well covered as the outside (and you don't have anything close) That would add another inch and a half of meat to cure in both directions from the bone so in 5 days. So the best you could hope for is to have cured a piece of meat 3" thick.
You will have a safe piece of meat to cook. But you won't have a fully cured ham.
You measure the amount of cure by the pounds of meat. forget LBS after that! You go by inches. Measure the thickest part. Then you divide by 2 because the cure is coming from both sides. Cure will penetrate 1/4" per day. If you inject that will change it some. I won't even go into that.(do you research). Then you add 2 days for any error. Yes you can go a lot longer. I have had bacon in cure for a month with no worries for a piece of meat that I could have smoked in 6 days.
Please take some time to research curing. The amount and time will make a lot of difference between safe and sorry
- My cured ham question
- › Lang fire box paint chipping! 3 minutes ago
- › buying wood chips 16 minutes ago
- › Streaky bacon on the Smokin-It#3 22 minutes ago
- › My 1st rack of pork 30 minutes ago
- › New Model 5 From Smokin-it 37 minutes ago
- › Good morning from Colorado 41 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 41 minutes ago
- › Hi guys from england, totally fresh to smoking 41 minutes ago
- › Chicken Philly Cheesesteak 44 minutes ago
- › 36cu.ft. Cypress/ Hardie board Outhouse smoker build -pics. addded 46 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients