Ok, so I do have a question, or 2 or 3. lol. Anyway, I am curing a 10 lb ham, but I'm wondering if I've ruined it since I boiled the brine with the cure in it. I just brought it up to a boil which is 203 degrees at my altitude, then cooled it. There was nothing on the package that said to mix it in cooled brine or water. I've since read I needed to put it in cooled brine? Any thoughts? Don't want to make the family sick at Christmas, and this is my first time doing a fresh ham. Any info would help me at this point. I'm smoking the ham if I feel it's ok.
- productHome Curing Of Bacon And Hamstagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- How to cut Buckboard Bacon Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:18pm in Smoking Bacon
- Tribute To My Pap - Dry Cured Ham, Sausage, CB, BBB, Dried Beef Last post on 5/19/14 at 5:38pm in Pork
- Picnic Ham? Last post on 12/25/14 at 6:13am in Curing
- Ham and Canadian Bacon with Pop's Brine and Pork Loin Last post on 11/2/13 at 8:15am in Smoking Bacon
- Canadian bacon, Ham from a loin and pulled ham from a pork butt Last post on 7/5/13 at 8:04am in Pork
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
My cured ham question
Let's have more info. What kind of ham? does it have a bone? how thick is it? was the 203° when the ham went in? what was the temp of the ham? What did you do with it when you dropped the ham in? I am betting that you don't have time to cure any ham between now and Christmas. You will probably have half cured ham. If so you will have to hot smoke it or hot cook it.
It will not be cured. It will be a little cured but a lot more like a fresh ham at 5 days you could only cure about a inch and a half without injecting. The fact that you injected would add a little more. Without knowing how much injection and how it was done I can't say how much you are curing from the inside out.
Lets say for the sake of argument that you injected enough to have the inside of the ham as well covered as the outside (and you don't have anything close) That would add another inch and a half of meat to cure in both directions from the bone so in 5 days. So the best you could hope for is to have cured a piece of meat 3" thick.
You will have a safe piece of meat to cook. But you won't have a fully cured ham.
You measure the amount of cure by the pounds of meat. forget LBS after that! You go by inches. Measure the thickest part. Then you divide by 2 because the cure is coming from both sides. Cure will penetrate 1/4" per day. If you inject that will change it some. I won't even go into that.(do you research). Then you add 2 days for any error. Yes you can go a lot longer. I have had bacon in cure for a month with no worries for a piece of meat that I could have smoked in 6 days.
Please take some time to research curing. The amount and time will make a lot of difference between safe and sorry
- My cured ham question
- › no pots hack? 4 minutes ago
- › Please help. 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Cherry wood question 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › Cabelas 12" Pro slicer 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Electric Smokers 2 hours, 31 minutes ago
- › Best Sausage to use in Electric Smoker 2 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Is a 2nd generation used MES 40" worth $100? 2 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Need some opinions 3 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Grilling some chops on the WSM 3 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Pork dates 3 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ