Ok, so I do have a question, or 2 or 3. lol. Anyway, I am curing a 10 lb ham, but I'm wondering if I've ruined it since I boiled the brine with the cure in it. I just brought it up to a boil which is 203 degrees at my altitude, then cooled it. There was nothing on the package that said to mix it in cooled brine or water. I've since read I needed to put it in cooled brine? Any thoughts? Don't want to make the family sick at Christmas, and this is my first time doing a fresh ham. Any info would help me at this point. I'm smoking the ham if I feel it's ok.
- productHome Curing Of Bacon And Hamstagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- How to cut Buckboard Bacon Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:18pm in Smoking Bacon
- Tribute To My Pap - Dry Cured Ham, Sausage, CB, BBB, Dried Beef Last post on 5/19/14 at 5:38pm in Pork
- Picnic Ham? Last post on 12/25/14 at 6:13am in Curing
- Ham and Canadian Bacon with Pop's Brine and Pork Loin Last post on 11/2/13 at 8:15am in Smoking Bacon
- Canadian bacon, Ham from a loin and pulled ham from a pork butt Last post on 7/5/13 at 8:04am in Pork
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
My cured ham question
Let's have more info. What kind of ham? does it have a bone? how thick is it? was the 203° when the ham went in? what was the temp of the ham? What did you do with it when you dropped the ham in? I am betting that you don't have time to cure any ham between now and Christmas. You will probably have half cured ham. If so you will have to hot smoke it or hot cook it.
It will not be cured. It will be a little cured but a lot more like a fresh ham at 5 days you could only cure about a inch and a half without injecting. The fact that you injected would add a little more. Without knowing how much injection and how it was done I can't say how much you are curing from the inside out.
Lets say for the sake of argument that you injected enough to have the inside of the ham as well covered as the outside (and you don't have anything close) That would add another inch and a half of meat to cure in both directions from the bone so in 5 days. So the best you could hope for is to have cured a piece of meat 3" thick.
You will have a safe piece of meat to cook. But you won't have a fully cured ham.
You measure the amount of cure by the pounds of meat. forget LBS after that! You go by inches. Measure the thickest part. Then you divide by 2 because the cure is coming from both sides. Cure will penetrate 1/4" per day. If you inject that will change it some. I won't even go into that.(do you research). Then you add 2 days for any error. Yes you can go a lot longer. I have had bacon in cure for a month with no worries for a piece of meat that I could have smoked in 6 days.
Please take some time to research curing. The amount and time will make a lot of difference between safe and sorry
- My cured ham question
- › Can you brine Turkey and Chicken together? 5 minutes ago
- › Just wasting my Saturday away. 7 minutes ago
- › The Forum is Getting an Upgrade! Moved to Monday, September 25th 7 minutes ago
- › Bob's MES 30 Analog build 33 minutes ago
- › Some saturday brisket 34 minutes ago
- › 3-2-1 ribs in my MES 57 minutes ago
- › Franklin Smokers 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Smoker not reaching 250 degrees 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › Honey BBQ Stix Outstanding! 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › Looking for a door gasket 1 hour, 27 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods