Ok, so I do have a question, or 2 or 3. lol. Anyway, I am curing a 10 lb ham, but I'm wondering if I've ruined it since I boiled the brine with the cure in it. I just brought it up to a boil which is 203 degrees at my altitude, then cooled it. There was nothing on the package that said to mix it in cooled brine or water. I've since read I needed to put it in cooled brine? Any thoughts? Don't want to make the family sick at Christmas, and this is my first time doing a fresh ham. Any info would help me at this point. I'm smoking the ham if I feel it's ok.
- productHome Curing Of Bacon And Hamstagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- How to cut Buckboard Bacon Last post on 3/11/14 at 9:18pm in Smoking Bacon
- Tribute To My Pap - Dry Cured Ham, Sausage, CB, BBB, Dried Beef Last post on 5/19/14 at 5:38pm in Pork
- Picnic Ham? Last post on 12/25/14 at 6:13am in Curing
- Ham and Canadian Bacon with Pop's Brine and Pork Loin Last post on 11/2/13 at 8:15am in Smoking Bacon
- Canadian bacon, Ham from a loin and pulled ham from a pork butt Last post on 7/5/13 at 8:04am in Pork
I took this back after 2 weeks. A part needed to be replaced and they sent it to me for ME to install and change out. That job is not mine for something I paid over a grande for. They finally got a...
Purchased one of these instead of buying a Yoder Smoker Wichita. Was reluctant because of the negative reviews but the price was right for $380, verses the Yoder for $1600. Once purchased I used...
Have owned this smoker for 2 weeks now. Smoked on it 5 times and every time everything on it turned out great. I have had experience smoking on some like it. So no learning curve at all for it....
This is a good smoker for the beginner who does not want to get to involved with staying up all night monitoring temp/coals. Just fill the hopper and set the temp, when it is warmed up toss in your...
Overall I am very pleased with my Smoke Hollow smoker. IT is a great unit for me, I bought at Sams for less than 400 after taxes. The entire unit itself comes in at over 76 inches in total length...
My cured ham question
Let's have more info. What kind of ham? does it have a bone? how thick is it? was the 203° when the ham went in? what was the temp of the ham? What did you do with it when you dropped the ham in? I am betting that you don't have time to cure any ham between now and Christmas. You will probably have half cured ham. If so you will have to hot smoke it or hot cook it.
It will not be cured. It will be a little cured but a lot more like a fresh ham at 5 days you could only cure about a inch and a half without injecting. The fact that you injected would add a little more. Without knowing how much injection and how it was done I can't say how much you are curing from the inside out.
Lets say for the sake of argument that you injected enough to have the inside of the ham as well covered as the outside (and you don't have anything close) That would add another inch and a half of meat to cure in both directions from the bone so in 5 days. So the best you could hope for is to have cured a piece of meat 3" thick.
You will have a safe piece of meat to cook. But you won't have a fully cured ham.
You measure the amount of cure by the pounds of meat. forget LBS after that! You go by inches. Measure the thickest part. Then you divide by 2 because the cure is coming from both sides. Cure will penetrate 1/4" per day. If you inject that will change it some. I won't even go into that.(do you research). Then you add 2 days for any error. Yes you can go a lot longer. I have had bacon in cure for a month with no worries for a piece of meat that I could have smoked in 6 days.
Please take some time to research curing. The amount and time will make a lot of difference between safe and sorry
- My cured ham question
- › Lavatools Javelin- 25% off at Amazon 31 seconds ago
- › A Little Butt Ham 1 minute ago
- › Old Commercial Cooler into a Hot Smoker 3 minutes ago
- › 1,000 Gallon Smoker 4 minutes ago
- › Chicken Cordon Bleu my first time 5 minutes ago
- › Smoker Chip Test Market 8 minutes ago
- › Pork Sammies! 31 minutes ago
- › Next! 36 minutes ago
- › Help: Non-pork, Non-Beef venison sausage? 45 minutes ago
- › Preheat 48 minutes ago
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by ammaturesmoker
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by Joseph Varaksa
- › Smokin-it model 3 by smokin-pete
- › Camp Chef Camp Chef Pellet Grill & Smoker Deluxe by CHRISTOPH
- › Outdoor Leisure Products (OLP) Smoke Hollow 47180T 4-in-1 by PhillipLeondria
- › Masterbuilt Dual-fuel Pro by StillAqua
- › Smoke Hollow 44241G2 44-Inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker by kentluman
- › Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22.5-Inch Smoker by jjcreole
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by tjdcorona
- › Weber 711001 Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker, 14.5-Inch by Cornman