Tomorrow I will be attempting to make my first batch of summer sausage. I've read where you need beef and pork. Can you use just a straight beef?
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- First smoked summer sausage Last post on 12/20/14 at 8:26am in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I'm no means an expert but I think you need a certain % of fat in there to keep it from being too dry. I mix deer/elk with ground pork as a 50/50 mix with good results. Deer/elk is much leaner than beef, however.
No problem using all beef. I've made SS with 73% ground with good results. I've seen recipes using 80/20 also, but have never tried it myself. If your beef is really lean you could add some pork fat to it.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck all the time. I don't much care for the 73/27 ground beef. If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
Yep 80/20 here also, I did my last Snack sticks 7 1/2lbs lean (93 - 7) and 5lbs ground poke and probably the best snack sticks to date for me.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is happy smoker
Nothing wrong with that I still mostly pre packed seasonings.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck with no problem. I don't much care for 73/27.
If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
I have never used the High Mountain but I have heard nothing but good about it.
I grind chuckies, and then add 1 cup of non fat dry milk (NFDM) for each 5 pounds of meat. So far so good!
For my venison SS, I add pork jowls or pork belly to my grind.
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › New - Oklahoma Joe's Highland Smoker 5 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 9 minutes ago
- › Chicken Quesadilla's 13 minutes ago
- › Making salami. Second round... 27 minutes ago
- › Smoke just for leftovers. 37 minutes ago
- › Tell Me about Making and Using CharWood 37 minutes ago
- › Hello from Ohio 38 minutes ago
- › buying wood chips 38 minutes ago
- › Field maple 41 minutes ago
- › Hey From Texas! 49 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients