Tomorrow I will be attempting to make my first batch of summer sausage. I've read where you need beef and pork. Can you use just a straight beef?
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- First smoked summer sausage Last post on 12/20/14 at 8:26am in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
I've been very impressed with this smoker.The slow smoker attachment is actually a cold smoking device.Made smoked cheese,scallops and found the flavor to be just right.
Wish I had read this site before purchasing my Traeger grill from Home Depot. Luckily I was within the 90 days for returns. Like other posts - the pellets would not feed into the hopper - I...
I've owned two smokers. This one does a GREAT JOB for a lower end priced electric smoker. I've created some amazing smoked food in this smoker. I would recommend getting this smoker if you want to...
I've had my SH smoker for about 2.5 years... took a while to get the draft set exactly where I wanted it, but once that was right it's been a dream to use. Under most conditions, and for most of...
All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I'm no means an expert but I think you need a certain % of fat in there to keep it from being too dry. I mix deer/elk with ground pork as a 50/50 mix with good results. Deer/elk is much leaner than beef, however.
No problem using all beef. I've made SS with 73% ground with good results. I've seen recipes using 80/20 also, but have never tried it myself. If your beef is really lean you could add some pork fat to it.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck all the time. I don't much care for the 73/27 ground beef. If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
Yep 80/20 here also, I did my last Snack sticks 7 1/2lbs lean (93 - 7) and 5lbs ground poke and probably the best snack sticks to date for me.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is happy smoker
Nothing wrong with that I still mostly pre packed seasonings.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck with no problem. I don't much care for 73/27.
If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
I have never used the High Mountain but I have heard nothing but good about it.
I grind chuckies, and then add 1 cup of non fat dry milk (NFDM) for each 5 pounds of meat. So far so good!
For my venison SS, I add pork jowls or pork belly to my grind.
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › Smokestack with no firebox 1 minute ago
- › Beef Ribs 19 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt instructions 40 minutes ago
- › What's your favorite home cooked meal?? 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked) 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › First try at a UDS 1 hour, 26 minutes ago
- › Chuck roast safety question 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Paleo bacon 1 hour, 37 minutes ago
- › Bought a Traeger Pro Series 34 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › New from South Carolina 1 hour, 56 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by ronaldjallen1
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by albell
- › Masterbuilt Model 20070210 30" Electric Smokehouse by SmokeScience
- › Char-Griller Competition Pro 8125 by Crankbolt
- › Outdoor Leisure 34168G Smoke Hollow Propane-Gas Smoker by raider2119
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by Jeff Houser
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by Smokingmax
- › Weber Summit S-670 by Grillin Joey
- › Old Country Brasos by SomeTexasSmoker
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by PaulJ
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ