Tomorrow I will be attempting to make my first batch of summer sausage. I've read where you need beef and pork. Can you use just a straight beef?
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- First smoked summer sausage Last post on 12/20/14 at 8:26am in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
I really enjoyed this smoker - It is being retired for a Old Country Pecos
The family got this for me for a birthday gift ( I chose it, they paid for it). I did not get the WIFI version. Got it home, assembled it (easy) and fired it up. The temp would not stabilize, it...
Bought my T. JR 5 years ago at a Costco roadshow. It made for an affordable start in the smoking and pellet cooker space. Easy setup, but on burn-in the controller and fan burned out. ...
Loving the extra room on the LUX. (Bought as Cabela's Magnum) Smoked 3 turkeys (at once) for thanksgiving and for SuperBowl did a 14lb brisket and 8 chicken quarters at the same time. I...
All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I'm no means an expert but I think you need a certain % of fat in there to keep it from being too dry. I mix deer/elk with ground pork as a 50/50 mix with good results. Deer/elk is much leaner than beef, however.
No problem using all beef. I've made SS with 73% ground with good results. I've seen recipes using 80/20 also, but have never tried it myself. If your beef is really lean you could add some pork fat to it.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck all the time. I don't much care for the 73/27 ground beef. If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
Yep 80/20 here also, I did my last Snack sticks 7 1/2lbs lean (93 - 7) and 5lbs ground poke and probably the best snack sticks to date for me.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is happy smoker
Nothing wrong with that I still mostly pre packed seasonings.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck with no problem. I don't much care for 73/27.
If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
I have never used the High Mountain but I have heard nothing but good about it.
I grind chuckies, and then add 1 cup of non fat dry milk (NFDM) for each 5 pounds of meat. So far so good!
For my venison SS, I add pork jowls or pork belly to my grind.
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › wood vs. pellets? 2 minutes ago
- › Italian pot roast 8 minutes ago
- › Good starter smoke 14 minutes ago
- › More Canadian Bacon in "POPS BRINE" 17 minutes ago
- › Cold smoke build 21 minutes ago
- › Chuck roast first attempt (QView) 21 minutes ago
- › In response to cranky's porkapolypse 31 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 44" propane smoker 47 minutes ago
- › VACUUM SEALING DISCOUNT FOR ALL MEMBERS 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › Another VacuumSealersUnlimited thread plus VacMaster review 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives