Tomorrow I will be attempting to make my first batch of summer sausage. I've read where you need beef and pork. Can you use just a straight beef?
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
- Kielbasa w/Qview Last post on 1/6/15 at 1:00pm in Sausage
- First smoked summer sausage Last post on 12/20/14 at 8:26am in Sausage
- Brat Smoking Question Last post on 12/20/14 at 3:31pm in Sausage
- Christmas came by UPS today!! Foamheart Last post on 1/10/15 at 7:35pm in Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment
5 years ago, I bought the Smoker attachment to use as a Grill for my wife and I. Last year, I purchased the Duo Grill. Attached the Smoker immediately and took 13 months before I tried to Smoke...
This is a great smoker for the price. I bought it from Home Depot online for $149. 2 day shipping. So glad I spent the money. My only negative about this smoker is that I cannot set it above 275....
It's a real shame these smokers are not being made like this anymore. Temp control is easy with a tuning plate. Also maintenance is simple as well just like anoy other smoker.
This device offers the greatest kind of grilling possible. Recently a man from Oklahoma rolled into a major BBQ competition with one of these grills on top of a Weber Kettle and took first place in...
I have had it for years, I fire it up, I cook, I shut the dampers and let it cool. then store it. About every third cooking, I give it a though cleaning. I put on a wagon to make it mobile. If...
All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I'm no means an expert but I think you need a certain % of fat in there to keep it from being too dry. I mix deer/elk with ground pork as a 50/50 mix with good results. Deer/elk is much leaner than beef, however.
No problem using all beef. I've made SS with 73% ground with good results. I've seen recipes using 80/20 also, but have never tried it myself. If your beef is really lean you could add some pork fat to it.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck all the time. I don't much care for the 73/27 ground beef. If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
Yep 80/20 here also, I did my last Snack sticks 7 1/2lbs lean (93 - 7) and 5lbs ground poke and probably the best snack sticks to date for me.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is happy smoker
Nothing wrong with that I still mostly pre packed seasonings.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck with no problem. I don't much care for 73/27.
If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
I have never used the High Mountain but I have heard nothing but good about it.
I grind chuckies, and then add 1 cup of non fat dry milk (NFDM) for each 5 pounds of meat. So far so good!
For my venison SS, I add pork jowls or pork belly to my grind.
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › New smoker in Indiana 36 seconds ago
- › Greetings from Livonia, Mchigan 1 minute ago
- › Ribs done in 2.5 hours??? 1 minute ago
- › Smoked Chicken Fajitas 2 minutes ago
- › EZ Raised Beds 7 minutes ago
- › I made a HOT alley. 12 minutes ago
- › First Tri Tip 14 minutes ago
- › QUESTIONS for you MES30/40 users 14 minutes ago
- › 1st Smoker Build - 300 gallon Reverse Flow 18 minutes ago
- › question about venison hindquarters 25 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods