Tomorrow I will be attempting to make my first batch of summer sausage. I've read where you need beef and pork. Can you use just a straight beef?
- topicSausage Makingtagged by Bama BBQ, 12/19/14
Related Forum Threads
I bought the Weber 26.75" grill mainly for the larger grilling area. I have owned Weber's 22.5" grills for over 50 years now, I'm on my 3rd one now, but now needed more grilling area, and the...
Forgive me if I write a lot of drivel, bu this is my first review of a product on this forum: I had gotten a 12" A-maze-n tube and used it to smoke cheese last year (on my old grill), and...
I purchased this smoker to again give smoking a try. I had been a avid meat/fish smoker years ago long before all of the temperature controlled available smokers & temperature monitoring equipment...
I called Lisa from www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com, A nicer more helpful person you wont find. She walked me through the options and helped me select the VP215. This thing is the bomb! I grabbed a...
Bought this at KMart on a special sale and we've had this grill for about five years now and it has held up pretty well except the underside of the grill. The grease pan/tray that leads to the...
All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
I'm no means an expert but I think you need a certain % of fat in there to keep it from being too dry. I mix deer/elk with ground pork as a 50/50 mix with good results. Deer/elk is much leaner than beef, however.
No problem using all beef. I've made SS with 73% ground with good results. I've seen recipes using 80/20 also, but have never tried it myself. If your beef is really lean you could add some pork fat to it.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck all the time. I don't much care for the 73/27 ground beef. If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
Yep 80/20 here also, I did my last Snack sticks 7 1/2lbs lean (93 - 7) and 5lbs ground poke and probably the best snack sticks to date for me.
Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
A full smoker is happy smoker
Nothing wrong with that I still mostly pre packed seasonings.
I also use 80/20 ground chuck with no problem. I don't much care for 73/27.
If you will use the search bar you will find a lot of good recipes.
I have never used the High Mountain but I have heard nothing but good about it.
I grind chuckies, and then add 1 cup of non fat dry milk (NFDM) for each 5 pounds of meat. So far so good!
For my venison SS, I add pork jowls or pork belly to my grind.
- All Beef or Pork and beef summer sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- › MES not enough smoke - have the AMNPS 2 minutes ago
- › How to store smoked cheese? 6 minutes ago
- › S, FL Chilly/Cheese Day 9 minutes ago
- › Scottish Eggs Pickled Quail Eggs 10 minutes ago
- › Finally pulled the trigger on my new smoker - BELL FAB!!! 21 minutes ago
- › Need help with FoodSaver purchase 27 minutes ago
- › Spices for Beef 32 minutes ago
- › "Silence of the Lambwhich" Inspirtation from... 37 minutes ago
- › Time for cold smoking. 41 minutes ago
- › Brisket at the Beach 43 minutes ago
- › Weber 781001 26.75-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill by jesse624
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Mohole15
- › Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker by W2HR
- › VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer by TripleQ
- › Kenmore 4 burner split lid with sear station and side burner gas grill by Cornman
- › Char-Griller 5050 Duo Gas-and-Charcoal Grill by erikself
- › Bradley Digital 4- Rack Smoker by hoekma
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by WickedPigeon
- › Char-Griller 9040 by Chicken Man 911
- › Masterbuilt 20070213 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Front... by Wilkesctywildma