SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › SQWIBS Jerky Recipes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SQWIBS Jerky Recipes - Page 2

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNashua View Post
 

The Pepper Jerky recipe has very little liquid compared to say, the Teriyaki.  Is there really no more liquid?

I just tripled the pepper jerky recipe and it seemed just the right amount for 3.5 lbs of London broil cut and weighed. 

post #22 of 25

You can bet if its a SQWIB's recipe its done to perfection......... He's a pretty smart fella for a city boy.

 

'Course ya know he's the one that started all the riots up in Philly last week. They said it was about that Grey boy's death...Nooooo.... it was SQWIB's trying to get the prices down on aged porthouse steaks! Newpaper just prints what they want.

post #23 of 25

Hi All:

Now into making jerky as I just got a Nesco Dehydrator. I have been reading a bunch and some use cure and some do not. I live in Ecuador so it is hard to get the cure here so I want to try without.

I guess this question is for SQWIB but anyone can chime in with ideas.
SQWIB, you mention that you keep it at a Max of 120 when you use TQ. If not using TQ then would I want to do it higher at least for the first couple of hours or last couple hours or all the way till its done? The first thing I dried was some Cayenne peppers and I had it set in 120. When I put an instant read digital thermometer in the vent hole at the bottom the temp was 160 - 170 at that point so it appears that the digital reading on the dehydrator may be off but I can monitor the temp throughout the drying time

I would like some ideas on this and thank you all in advance.

post #24 of 25

TY very much for that post, very well explained sir, cleared up a few things for me that were kinda shaky, and yes I did save all of your recipes and instructions !

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou  :)

Guy

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 

First off, my apologies for missing all of these questions.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyMtn View Post
 

I'm getting ready to make some jerky with these recipes using the 1.5 teaspoons of tender quick per pound.  

 

Assuming I dried the jerky sufficiently, would the jerky be shelf stable for a few months?  Or would it need the 1 tablespoon per pound ratio to be shelf stable?

 

Thanks from a jerky noob.

 

Food safety is of the utmost importance and I am no expert but if the jerky is stored properly, I don't see it being a problem.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMtn View Post
 

Also a quick follow up question....

 

I made the recipe for Honey BBQ, teryaki, and pepper jerky (each in 1-1.5 lbs quantity (adjusted down for honey bbq).  There is so much more liquid for the teryaki marinade vs the other two.  

Why is that?  Won't the amount of liquid dilute the action of the tenderquick since there is so much more volume in there to reduce the concentration?

 

You should be fine as is, but if concerned reduce even proportions of each liquid.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyMtn View Post
 

Well I had to make a decision...

 

I wound up pouring out about 2/3 of the teryaki marinade so the quantity of liquid was more like the other two.  It was either that or bumping up the TQ.  Pouring off liquid seemed like the smarter play.  

 

Sounds good!

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfoos View Post
 

We bought a Nesco around Christmas. We did ground sirloin meat sticks (flats) the first time, and the 2nd time we did ground turkey stcks (flats).  The turkey shriveled up way less, and had a milder flavor, but I think I did it a little too long.  When using a ground meat, how should it be on texture?  how to tell when it is done?   same bending and cracking, but not breaking?  or........?

 

thanks, 

 

    JJ

 

Also am getting some pineapple and banana to do this weekends also

 

I believe you wont get the same crack by bending with ground meat but I have not done ground yet so I can't say for sure about doneness.(I know thats not a word but it should be) I eventually will be making some ground with 90/10 and can post when I try it.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNashua View Post
 

The Pepper Jerky recipe has very little liquid compared to say, the Teriyaki.  Is there really no more liquid?

These recipes are just that recipes, so feel free to tweak them by adding more liquids if needbe.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill1955 View Post
 

Hi All:

Now into making jerky as I just got a Nesco Dehydrator. I have been reading a bunch and some use cure and some do not. I live in Ecuador so it is hard to get the cure here so I want to try without.

I guess this question is for SQWIB but anyone can chime in with ideas.
SQWIB, you mention that you keep it at a Max of 120 when you use TQ. If not using TQ then would I want to do it higher at least for the first couple of hours or last couple hours or all the way till its done? The first thing I dried was some Cayenne peppers and I had it set in 120. When I put an instant read digital thermometer in the vent hole at the bottom the temp was 160 - 170 at that point so it appears that the digital reading on the dehydrator may be off but I can monitor the temp throughout the drying time

I would like some ideas on this and thank you all in advance.

 

I promote to use a cure on SMF for safety reasons because of the low temps for drying that I use, however you will need to do the research yourself. There are other safe Jerky Making methods that you can seek out.

I make jerky various ways, the ones posted here are for low temps using a cure. I also have an old school method I use that is not posted because of possible safety issues.

My Old School process has no Cure just a few basic ingredients and the meat is dried at a very low temperature. I have done this method for years and have never gotten sick.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4YNU View Post
 

TY very much for that post, very well explained sir, cleared up a few things for me that were kinda shaky, and yes I did save all of your recipes and instructions !

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou  :)

Guy

 

 

Glad I could help and sorry to everyone that I did not get back to sooner.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Making Jerky
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Making Jerky › SQWIBS Jerky Recipes