or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Ideas › avocado....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

avocado....

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Don't know if this is the right place...

 

My wife would like to try and grown an avocado tree, if for no other reason that she can. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...Inkjunkie...

post #2 of 14

not sure if you're in the right climate for those unless you have a greenhouse? like trying to grow bananas here...fairly easy to do in California. She could probably, at least, get a pit to sprout in the window, perhaps. We used to do that all the time in California...3 toothpicks in the pit, half submerged in a glass of water....it will sprout and grow fairly well.....Willie

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

We have a plant light that she uses over her rubber tree and a few other plants. Right now we are trying to convince some clippings we tool off our Cottonwood tree to grow. They were in a home brewed cloner of sorts until they sprouted some roots. Stuck them in some dirt and put them in the room with the light....

post #4 of 14
If you want to grow one just to grow one do what the chef said. If you're hoping for fruit you're gonna need a grafted one or two...

Two? Yes, two! Avocados are sexed as A type and B type. I won't get into the details of the difference but it's like having a male and female avo tree... Most cultivars in Hawaii are B type; the ones elsewhere are A types.

The name avocado is derived from the Aztec ahuacatl which means testicle tree! So every time you eat an avo you are eating the fruit from a testicle tree!!! ;)
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Pit cracked open in one day....
post #6 of 14

If you want a grafted avocado tree, go to www.toptropicals.com. In Washington, you will need to keep it in a pot to protect in the winter.

post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Forgot about this. Wife left the door open to the room it was in. One of our Redbone pups lifted it out of the cup by the toothpicks and started playing with it.
post #8 of 14

We had avos on our property in SoCal.  They take quite a few years(7 years +/-) to start producing fruit.  Many of the varieties need a pollinator, such as Haas.  So when you have a seed from a store bought avo, you are getting a cross between a haas and a maybe a fuerte.  Some day, you could get fruit from that seed, or  not.  Or, the quality could be poor.   This why they graft avos.  They find a quality producing tree and take clippings off of it and graft the clippings to a seedling of unknown quality and/or disease tolerant root stock- same as most other fruit trees, roses, etc.  I had a 50% success rate at grafting... not bad fore a beginner,  IMO

 

With you being in Wash, you will need a very large, movable  box by time they start producing quantity.   Freeze is brutal on them.  They can tolerate freeze better if the air is moving.  

 

BTW, Last week I was in San Diego, Ca and the market had them at 4/$1.00    We ate lots of guacamole with our tacos  :drool

 

-Brian

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fangard View Post
 

If you want a grafted avocado tree, go to www.toptropicals.com. In Washington, you will need to keep it in a pot to protect in the winter.


that is really cool. time to save some pennies for an avocado tree.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine View Post

We had avos on our property in SoCal.  They take quite a few years(7 years +/-) to start producing fruit.  Many of the varieties need a pollinator, such as Haas.  So when you have a seed from a store bought avo, you are getting a cross between a haas and a maybe a fuerte.  Some day, you could get fruit from that seed, or  not.  Or, the quality could be poor.   This why they graft avos.  They find a quality producing tree and take clippings off of it and graft the clippings to a seedling of unknown quality and/or disease tolerant root stock- same as most other fruit trees, roses, etc.  I had a 50% success rate at grafting... not bad fore a beginner,  IMO

With you being in Wash, you will need a very large, movable  box by time they start producing quantity.   Freeze is brutal on them.  They can tolerate freeze better if the air is moving.  

BTW, Last week I was in San Diego, Ca and the market had them at 4/$1.00    We ate lots of guacamole with our tacos  drool.gif

-Brian
Last I looked they were close to a buck each here in Eastern Washington.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by migraine View Post

We had avos on our property in SoCal.  They take quite a few years(7 years +/-) to start producing fruit.  Many of the varieties need a pollinator, such as Haas.  So when you have a seed from a store bought avo, you are getting a cross between a haas and a maybe a fuerte.  Some day, you could get fruit from that seed, or  not.  Or, the quality could be poor.   This why they graft avos.  They find a quality producing tree and take clippings off of it and graft the clippings to a seedling of unknown quality and/or disease tolerant root stock- same as most other fruit trees, roses, etc.  I had a 50% success rate at grafting... not bad fore a beginner,  IMO

With you being in Wash, you will need a very large, movable  box by time they start producing quantity.   Freeze is brutal on them.  They can tolerate freeze better if the air is moving.  

BTW, Last week I was in San Diego, Ca and the market had them at 4/$1.00    We ate lots of guacamole with our tacos  drool.gif

-Brian

50 % grafting success rate? I've tried a bunch of times and still haven't been successful yet... Any tips for a failed grafter? I read online about someone in India that had 300 varieties of mangoes grafted on the the same tree. I was hoping to do something similar with avocadoes but only have five or six types...

As I mentioned above, you need to have both A and B types of trees to cross pollinate. Most trees in SoCal are A type, so a Haas and a Fuerte are an unlikely cross. It's possible but unlikely. Here in Hawaii most of our cultivars (short for cultivated variety) are B types, the one exception is Green Gold, which is the only Hawaiian one that is A type. I had eight trees in my yard but after several maulings by my cows they all died. Haas and other mainland cultivars don't do well in Hawaii.

When I was in charge of the Italian restaurant at work we got a case of green gold avos from mexico and one the our chefs was there, we went to high school together here in Kona, and I asked him what was wrong with a Hawaiian avo being grown in mexico and shipped back to be used in Hawaii?!?
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
How does one tell the difference between a type a and a type b tree?
post #13 of 14
An avocado tree has both male and female parts of their flowers. If I remember correctly the A type the male part is active in the morning and then around noon it will close up and not be active. Then about an hour or so later the female part of the flower will be active until sunset. So if an insect landed on the flower in the morning and then a couple hours later landed again with the pollen still on it it could germinate the flower.

The B type is the opposite where the female part is active in the morning... And so on. It could be the other way around but that's basically it.

So you want both types where insects can go back and forth to get a good germination rate.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

An avocado tree has both male and female parts of their flowers. If I remember correctly the A type the male part is active in the morning and then around noon it will close up and not be active. Then about an hour or so later the female part of the flower will be active until sunset. So if an insect landed on the flower in the morning and then a couple hours later landed again with the pollen still on it it could germinate the flower.

The B type is the opposite where the female part is active in the morning... And so on. It could be the other way around but that's basically it.

So you want both types where insects can go back and forth to get a good germination rate.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ideas
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Ideas › avocado....