or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › I bought my MES to pretty much do one thing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I bought my MES to pretty much do one thing

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
And thus far, it's performing great.

Snack sticks and whatever you call the flat jerky that comes out of the jerky cannon. Made 5# following most of Bear's timing scale. Came out fantastic. My only problem is I have 5 more pounds of meat cured and ready to go... Oh well, I needed a mental health day from work tomorrow.

A few finished pics, sorry no prep shots



They look so good, I don't want to cut them up to fit in the container



After a couple mis-steps with the AMNPS, I think I figured it out with the MES. I had to light almost 1/2 a row, but once I did it chugged along strong. One question, how do I combat the grease drips onto the AMNPS?
post #2 of 8
these look great... just put a tent of aluminium over the AMNPS ...
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs231 View Post



After a couple mis-steps with the AMNPS, I think I figured it out with the MES. I had to light almost 1/2 a row, but once I did it chugged along strong. One question, how do I combat the grease drips onto the AMNPS?

 

They look awesome, would love your recipe as I haven't had a chance to try the flat jerky from my LEM cannon yet.

 

As far as the grease drips, since the MES30 has a waterpan, I leave that in on the bottom most rack (filled with sand, covered in foil), and on that bottom most rack itself I wrap in foil, which will prevent any grease or condensation dripping onto and putting out the AMPNS.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdk View Post

They look awesome, would love your recipe as I haven't had a chance to try the flat jerky from my LEM cannon yet.

As far as the grease drips, since the MES30 has a waterpan, I leave that in on the bottom most rack (filled with sand, covered in foil), and on that bottom most rack itself I wrap in foil, which will prevent any grease or condensation dripping onto and putting out the AMPNS.

The recipe was a real basic one. I used a leftover peppered jerky kit from Cabela's, mixed it with about 3oz of Soy, 3oz of teriyaki sauce, and a splash of water. Used 5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef and let it sit in a bowl in the fridge overnight. Loaded it with the cannon then into the preheated smoker. The time schedule was:

1.25 hours @ 120° with no smoke
1.25 hours @ 130° with the AMNPS running (pit master pellets)
1.25 hours @ 140° still going on AMNPS
2 hours @ 160° still going on AMNPS
2 hours @ 170° AMNPS was dying so I threw some pecan wood chips in the chip loader
1.25 hours @ 190° reloaded the chips

They looked good at this point but the temp was only 156° so I let them run another hour at 180° to finish them.

Brought them in the house and rinsed the grease off under cold water. Blotted them dry with a paper towel and laid them back out on the racks to fully cool.

They came out really good, the only change I'll make in the future will be to use a little leaner beef. There was quite a bit of grease with these. 90/10 or 93/7 might work a little better.

The next batch is finishing up now. Pics coming soon.
Edited by TimsTallTaleTav - 12/8/14 at 1:59pm
post #5 of 8

How do you get a solid reading on the IT considering theres really nowhere to stick a probe in? (thats what she said)

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdk View Post

How do you get a solid reading on the IT considering theres really nowhere to stick a probe in? (thats what she said)

Used my Thermapen to check one on each rack. It probably wasn't the greatest way to do it but it worked. I just kind of angled the tip of the pen in as best as I could.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Batch #2 definitely had something change. The stuff I made yesterday had great taste. Today's batch looks good and texture is great but the taste is pratically non-existent. It tastes basically like your eating a plain hamburger. This batch was supposed to be hickory flavored. The few pieces I tried are basically tasteless. Even the smoke flavor didn't seem to make into this batch?



Oh well, maybe I can sprinkle some rub on them while they are still warm and throw them in the dehydrator to try to get some flavor.
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs231 View Post

And thus far, it's performing great.

Snack sticks and whatever you call the flat jerky that comes out of the jerky cannon. Made 5# following most of Bear's timing scale. Came out fantastic. My only problem is I have 5 more pounds of meat cured and ready to go... Oh well, I needed a mental health day from work tomorrow.

A few finished pics, sorry no prep shots



They look so good, I don't want to cut them up to fit in the container



After a couple mis-steps with the AMNPS, I think I figured it out with the MES. I had to light almost 1/2 a row, but once I did it chugged along strong. One question, how do I combat the grease drips onto the AMNPS?


I detest guys like you. You have all that delicious-looking jerky to smell and eat and I don't. That all looks to me like long strips of perfectly-cooked/smoked bacon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Electric Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Supplies & Equipment › Electric Smokers › I bought my MES to pretty much do one thing