I found a post Thanksgiving deal on duck at my local grocer. Smoking the turkey breast for Thanksgiving has me looking for the new things to try. I have a lot of questions though!
First off, the end result: I'm aiming for duck soft tacos.
So here's my questions. I've seen a lot of posts, but none that cover all of this.
- Brine, Marinade, Injection? Ducks are naturally fatty, which method or combination is recommended?
- Bone in or de-bone? I'm leaning towards de-bone. Pepin's deboning video has me very comfortable with deboning poultry quickly, so I'm cool with it. I've got the needle and twine to sew it up good too. I was thinking maybe oranges inside? Or is it recommended to keep the bone in?
- Rendered fat. I've noticed a lot of people strategically make slices to help the rendered fat drain. What's the best place to do this and the proper amount without going overboard?
- Any recommendation on getting good crispy skin? It's really not that important, I'm fine with not eating it, but I know everyone here will want pics so I feel like it should be presentable!! :)
- Grocery bought bird, so what's the best temp to pull it?
Thanks for any help!