About me: I live on the western slope of Colorado, and like many folks out here, meat isn't the only thing I smoke. No, no, not that I'm an avid cigar smoker. Been using a wsm for years and years, but just decided to try a pellet pooper. Nothing better than the smell of burning wood, burning tobacco, and the taste of a cold beer on the weekends. If any of you guys buy wood from fruita wood, he's right by me.
On to my question, my GMG drips. Out of the chimney. I'm not sure what it is but I noticed spots on my deck and it running down the side of my grill. Took the chimney off and put a little food safe red rtv around the gasket. Drip came back. Upon closer inspection, I noticed its from the piece where the chimney connects into the mounting plate. I was out of the red food safe rtv, so I just used a little silicone adhesive I had laying around. It says its rated to 400 continuous and 500 intermittent. But it is NOT food safe. However its just on the outside of my grill sealing the chimney. It won't come in contact with food. So my question is 2 part: will that be OK, even though that silicones not food safe. And will the 400 continuous temp rating be good enough for that position on the grill? I can't see if t getting hotter than that there, even on a high heat grill. Thanks all, and looking forward to contributing where I can.