Originally Posted by dennispfaff
I have a question about smoking anything with the vent CLOSED vs. OPEN in the MES, usind the AMNPS.
1. First of all, would the pellets in the TUBE or 5x8 tray stay lit with the chip loader door out?
2. If so, would it produce too much smoke into the meat flavor?
I have always smoked with the vent open, but curious if anyone has smoked with it closed, and the result if so.
1. The pellets in the TUBE or 5x8 tray will stay lit with the chip loader out. In fact it will increase the smoke a bit as I found out it would the last time I smoked ribs. I wanted some extra smoke the first hr with the weak smoking Jack Daniels pellets, so I tried leaving it out the first hr and it worked, then put it back in at the pulled out position of 2" and dump side turned down.
2. On the weak smoking JD pellets, no. On something like Mesquite or Hickory on a long term smoke, I don't know, but on short term, I tried it two weeks ago for 30 minutes on two Tri-Tips before putting the chip loader back in to 2" out and dump side down and it wasn't too strong, not for me anyhow.
The smoke from pellets is weaker than the smoke from wood chips. To date I haven't had any problem with over smoking with pellets, but I have had a problem over smoking with wood chips at times in the past.
3. I used to run the vent 1/2 open on my Gen 2.0, but run it wide open on my new BT Gen 2.5. I only close it when not in use. I don't even close it when pre-heating as I have tried it both ways, open and closed, and couldn't tell any difference in the time it took the smoker to heat up.