or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Moi moi time!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moi moi time!!!

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'm working at the fish market today and one of the fisherman that I buy fish from gives me a couple of deep sea mois! This fish is so good that in ancient Hawaii only the king was allowed to eat it; anyone caught eating it was instantly executed!

I'm sorry the pics are kinda blurry! Oh well...



Filleted...



On the Weber kettle...



I also made some grilled edamame to be used in a local favorite recipe: edamame rice with nametake mushrooms and ochazuke wakame furikake...



gotta wait for my second daughter to get home from school. Soccer season is just starting!!!! Did I mention we won the state championship last year... biggrin.gif

grilling_smilie.gif

Edited to include dinner plate:




Somehow a couple of ribs fell on my plate as well...
Edited by Welshrarebit - 11/7/14 at 12:05am
post #2 of 14
What's up with those rectangular fillets? Are you smoking SPAM? You said it's only for frying!!!!
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

What's up with those rectangular fillets? Are you smoking SPAM? You said it's only for frying!!!!

YOU talked me into it!!! biggrin.gif

It was very good!! The wife and kids get home soon and I'll share their verdict as well.
post #4 of 14

Lookin good, My family LOVES Spam and we eat it frequently when we get some quantity on sale...Good stuff! I would like to see the Edamame Recipe. I am a Japanese food nut...JJ

post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Lookin good, My family LOVES Spam and we eat it frequently when we get some quantity on sale...Good stuff! I would like to see the Edamame Recipe. I am a Japanese food nut...JJ



Sorry chef, I just eyeballed it. No recipe...

I just made regular white rice and added the edamame, mushrooms and furikake; every potluck party we have here someone will bring this and it goes quick.

My local Costco has spam on sale for $5.00 off the regular price! That makes it $1.80 a can...

A nametake mushroom is a wild grown enoki mushroom that has been fermented. It's the bottle on the left of the pic.


Edited by Welshrarebit - 11/6/14 at 11:35pm
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
I also did some smoked ahi poke at work...



I had a prime rib in there so I had to hot smoke it, around 240 degrees. I also had some marlin in there as well. Everybody loved it! The manager said that I need to run that as a special. I'll try again next week and cold smoke it along with some tako.


Edited by Welshrarebit - 11/7/14 at 12:01am
post #7 of 14

Wow how delicious it all does look! It's so fun to learn of new fish!!! Fantastic post! Cheers! - Leah

post #8 of 14

Brah! You making me hungreh..... Dat smoked POKE looks sooo ONO!

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post

Brah! You making me hungreh..... Dat smoked POKE looks sooo ONO!

Wassup brah!

I'm gonna put the shoyu on the ahi first next time.

The smoked spam musubi was unreal ONO!!!

I'm grinding some home made prune mui right now... Killah pupus!!!

I was hoping someone would catch the double entendre of the title...
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post


Wassup brah!

I'm gonna put the shoyu on the ahi first next time.

The smoked spam musubi was unreal ONO!!!

I'm grinding some home made prune mui right now... Killah pupus!!!

I was hoping someone would catch the double entendre of the title...


I ment to pu aftah dat now i know why you going moimoi! lol

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucho View Post


I ment to pu aftah dat now i know why you going moimoi! lol

Yup, you got it!!!

In Hawaiian moi moi means sleep; so because I had two mois it was moi moi time! That's what we tell the kids at bedtime: turn off the tv its moi moi time...
post #12 of 14
Down here we get Tongan people with double names including Fui Fui Moi Moi a well known footballer. Don't speak any Tongan so can't tell you what Moi Moi translates to.
Nice looking fish by the way.
post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikel View Post

Down here we get Tongan people with double names including Fui Fui Moi Moi a well known footballer. Don't speak any Tongan so can't tell you what Moi Moi translates to.
Nice looking fish by the way.

In Hawaiian when something is doubled it means "very."

Our most famous example is our first king: Kamehameha. Ka is singular for "the." Meha means shy. Repeated means very shy. So, our first king's name translates to "the very shy."

Obviously this was a name given when he was very young because he was an incredible warrior, leader and statesman!
post #14 of 14

Samoan,Tongan,Moari & Hawaiian are all Polynesian languages so I expect there are a lot of shared things. Australia in its own humble way is the big economy for the South Pacific so the Islands people settle here for the jobs  & education.

There is a thing in some words where there is an extra "ah" sound that is written as a,drives football commentators nuts trying to get it right because they want to respectful of the players.So it might be Fa'alogo or Mata'utia written but sound different when the palangi (white guy) pronounces it:biggrin:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › Moi moi time!!!