SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Cheese › how long to smoke cheese
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how long to smoke cheese - Page 2

post #21 of 32

I don't have a vac sealer in the rv since we spend 6-7 months at a time in it. Will a cling wrap like Saran work?


Edited by jammo - 2/5/16 at 9:48am
post #22 of 32

It's not ideal, but it will work. I've had some cheese spend 6months wrapped and in saran wrap & in a freezer bag. It was fine. This was before I got a vac sealer.

post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMoon View Post
 

I see quite a few different times posted for smoking cheese. I would like to have folks post their favorite times and see if there is a general consensus on the "best time". I just bought an amps and the pellets are on their way to smoke up some  Cabot cheese and want advice from you experts . thanks CM

 

Passage from the following. Mr T's "Smoked Cheese From Go To Show" w/ Q- View

 

Question:  How long should I smoke the cheese?

 

Answer:  Only experience will determine this as it really depends on your taste. I usually will smoke the hard cheeses for two hours depending on the density of the smoke and type of wood used. The harder the cheese the denser smoke it can take.  If it is a caramel color you are looking for, a dense smoke for 5 hours may be required.  Depending on the type and texture of your cheese, monitor the smoke as a lighter smoke will sometimes infuse a more desirable flavor than a heavy dense smoke will.  Cream or blues will take a much shorter smoking time than the harder cheeses. Some softer cheeses may be done in half an hour.
 
   Learn to keep good records.  In your records note the type of cheese, ambient temperature, internal smoker temperature, type and amount of wood, the density of the smoke and, of course, the time, color and taste.

 

T

post #24 of 32

Using my tube, I do about 1.5 -2 hours. 50/50 hickory/apple.

post #25 of 32

When I started smoking cheese a coupla' years ago, I gave several of my 'cheese head' friends samples to try. I made up packages of quarter pound sticks of sharp cheddar, pepper jack and swiss. Everybody loved it.

 

I ran an experiment with different smoke times. I cut the packages to 1/8 lb. sticks of sharp cheddar, by far the most popular with my friends. I ran 4 hour, 8 hour, 12 hour and 16 hour smokes and packaged & labeled each stick separately. EVERYBODY gave the 16 hour smoke the highest rating.

 

Since then, I haven't smoked any cheese at less that 16 hours and I've got people practically camping on my door step waiting for the next batch.

 

I ain't sayin' you should do this, I'm just sayin' that's what all my customers are asking for.

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post
 

When I started smoking cheese a coupla' years ago, I gave several of my 'cheese head' friends samples to try. I made up packages of quarter pound sticks of sharp cheddar, pepper jack and swiss. Everybody loved it.

 

I ran an experiment with different smoke times. I cut the packages to 1/8 lb. sticks of sharp cheddar, by far the most popular with my friends. I ran 4 hour, 8 hour, 12 hour and 16 hour smokes and packaged & labeled each stick separately. EVERYBODY gave the 16 hour smoke the highest rating.

 

Since then, I haven't smoked any cheese at less that 16 hours and I've got people practically camping on my door step waiting for the next batch.

 

I ain't sayin' you should do this, I'm just sayin' that's what all my customers are asking for.

:icon_eek: WoW! 16 hours for cheese....I like to taste that, but will not endure that. Glad it works for you though.

post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post

When I started smoking cheese a coupla' years ago, I gave several of my 'cheese head' friends samples to try. I made up packages of quarter pound sticks of sharp cheddar, pepper jack and swiss. Everybody loved it.

I ran an experiment with different smoke times. I cut the packages to 1/8 lb. sticks of sharp cheddar, by far the most popular with my friends. I ran 4 hour, 8 hour, 12 hour and 16 hour smokes and packaged & labeled each stick separately. EVERYBODY gave the 16 hour smoke the highest rating.

Since then, I haven't smoked any cheese at less that 16 hours and I've got people practically camping on my door step waiting for the next batch.

I ain't sayin' you should do this, I'm just sayin' that's what all my customers are asking for.
I am on the same page. Everyone freaks out when they hear numbers in the teen or twenties, yet when they taste it you can only hear moaning.
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmoke View Post


I am on the same page. Everyone freaks out when they hear numbers in the teen or twenties, yet when they taste it you can only hear moaning.

 

Yes, I also like the longer smoke times, but what many do not understand is the time any product is smoked is dependent on the color and density of the smoke being applied. Sadly, when the time that a product is in the smoke is quoted, the color or density of the smoke is rarely mentioned. This leaves one scratching their head as to why one can smoke a product for twenty hours with good results and another, smoking the same product, has terrible results after two hours.

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post
 

 

Yes, I also like the longer smoke times, but what many do not understand is the time any product is smoked is dependent on the color and density of the smoke being applied. Sadly, when the time that a product is in the smoke is quoted, the color or density of the smoke is rarely mentioned. This leaves one scratching their head as to why one can smoke a product for twenty hours with good results and another, smoking the same product, has terrible results after two hours.

Well Put Mr. T!   Thumbs Up

 

Best Regards,

 

Tony :beercheer:

post #30 of 32

Well, I'm still not sure how my first attempt at smoking cheese will turn out. Its vac-packed and in the fridge. I figure I'll leave it alone for a month.

 

I smoked 3 each 3/4lb bricks of sharp cheddar and pepper jack. IIRC they got roughly 4 and 1/2 hours of apple wood pellet smoke. 

 

The smoke from the pellet gizmo is fairly thick and stays that way longer than just wood chunks would. 

 

I'm seriously considering making a mailbox attachment to feed into the lower vent of the kamodo. Time will tell how good this first batch is or isn't. 

post #31 of 32
Fill the AMNPS and let it burn out...
post #32 of 32

I use a Bradley for smoking cheese, and in my experience the time depends on the ambient temperature - the colder it is outside, the longer the smoke time. These days, when I rotate the racks, I just look at the color of the cheese - when it is to the "tan" color I like, I know it is done. The darker the color the heavier the smoke flavor, the longer it needs to age in the vacuum bag before it mellows.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cheese
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Cheese › how long to smoke cheese