Been a while since I updated my progress so here goes.
I added a wood storage box to the backside,
I did a trial burn so I could play with the vents a little too see how much control I actually have. I built a pretty good size fire to begin so i would have a bed of coals to work with. Temps came up very quickly and I began to play a little.
Right side lower vent 1/4 open,
Left side lower vent 1/4 open,
Upper door vent not quite 1/2 open,
Top gauge is farthest from firebox and bottom is closest. By adding a piece of wood about every 45 minutes it held temps nicely with only a few degrees difference in the end of the CC.
Thin blue smoke. I have a few more things to do and then its off to the sandblaster.