I did Jeff's Brine recipe on a 12 lbs Boston Butt this weekend. It turned out awesome.
The butt ended up incredibly juicy! I loved that brine recipe.
For my sides, I went with a Grilled Potato Salad with a Bacon and Blue Cheese dressing.
- 3 pounds baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Place potatoes in a single layer in center of a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring up foil sides over potatoes; double fold top and side edges to seal, making 1 large packet.
- 2. Grill potatoes, in foil packet, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes on each side. Remove packet from grill. Carefully open packet, using tongs, and let potatoes cool 5 minutes.
- 3. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; add potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Stir in onion, blue cheese, and bacon.
*Balsamic vinegar may be substituted but will darken the color of the dressing.
I also did a Penaut Coleslaw. This was the ultimate complement to this sweetness of the Apple juice BBQ sauce. The sweetness was balance by the spicy of this coleslaw.
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-oz.) package shredded coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup lightly salted peanuts
1. Whisk together first 10 ingredients in a large bowl; add coleslaw mix, stirring to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour; stir in peanuts just before serving.