or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › John from the eastern edge of NC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

John from the eastern edge of NC

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hello from just about as far east as you can get, in the good old US of A, and keep your feet dry.

 

Tried to sign up simply as JohnW but the page didn't care for that so I had to add the tag.

 

Got my first Weber kettle about 40 years ago while living in Florida and have been exploring the potential of BBQ, smoking, and low and slow grilling ever since.

 

I currently own and use 18 and 22 inch Weber kettles, an 18inch WSM, and a Char Griller Akorn, as well as a unit that my brother built a number of years ago.

 

 

Charley left it to me and, while not the most versatile tool I  own, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

 

A friend who is a member here linked me to Pop's brine recipe when I wanted to try my first go at belly bacon and I have wandered around here some since.

 

I usually smoke something 3 to 4 times a month.  Enjoy it a lot and try a little bit of everything on the smoker.  Aside from that I am a boat builder,  enjoy wrenching on my vehicles as well as my girlfriends tractors, photography and fishing.

 

I look forward to interacting with and learning more from all you folks, and further expanding my smoking horizons.

post #2 of 9

What town? I've done a little fishing on the Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk, Hatteras, Kill Devil Hills, etc.) You've come to the right place to learn and contribute. This is a great forum if you participate.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillmonkey View Post
 

What town? I've done a little fishing on the Outer Banks (Kitty Hawk, Hatteras, Kill Devil Hills, etc.) You've come to the right place to learn and contribute. This is a great forum if you participate.

 

I live in Marshallberg,  (Historically a commercial fishing and boat building community),  near Beaufort and Morehead City, south of the towns you mention.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by John woodust View Post
 

 

I live in Marshallberg,  (Historically a commercial fishing and boat building community),  near Beaufort and Morehead City, south of the towns you mention.

Must be a small town, it wouldn't even Google good. I lived north and a little further inland in a place called Morgan's Corner for 9 years. It was just outside South Mills, and about 10 miles north of Elizabeth City.

post #5 of 9

texas.gif  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a rainy and cool East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

 

 

 

           Gary

post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillmonkey View Post
 

Must be a small town, it wouldn't even Google good. I lived north and a little further inland in a place called Morgan's Corner for 9 years. It was just outside South Mills, and about 10 miles north of Elizabeth City.

 

There are approx. 500 folks living in Marshallberg.  Two small boatbuilding operations and maybe 6 commercial fishermen still working the area.  It is a small town.  Closest town that google should recognize will be Beaufort.

 

Ive been through Elizabeth City several times.  Pretty area, as much of NC is.

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary s View Post
 

texas.gif  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a rainy and cool East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

 

 

 

           Gary

 

 

Thanks for the welcome Gary.  I have a nephew in the Hill country, and another over in Midland,  (which is where brother Charley was when he built the cooker in the picture in my post above).  Got a warm spot in my heart for Texas. 

 

texas.gif 

post #7 of 9

Welcome John from another newcomer.  My brother used to have a house on the southern of Emerald Isle and we would boat up the waterway past Bogue sound up to Bearfort and Harker's island.  I remember that whole area is renown for it's boatbuilding - if only I could have traded my 18 ft. Key West for one of those nice 40' trawlers.

post #8 of 9

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPC View Post
 

Welcome John from another newcomer.  My brother used to have a house on the southern of Emerald Isle and we would boat up the waterway past Bogue sound up to Bearfort and Harker's island.  I remember that whole area is renown for it's boatbuilding - if only I could have traded my 18 ft. Key West for one of those nice 40' trawlers.

 

Thanks for the welcome John.  I know Emerald Isle.  Haven't spent much time there but have been through numerous times.  I can see Harkers Island across the Straights from my front yard.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post
 

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

 

 

Thanks David.  I have used the search function and have to say that it works quite well.  As I have found with several other very good forums;  The search bar is a good way to spend quite a few hours.  Like most here I enjoy seeing other folks smokes too.  It never gets old.

 

This past winter i did a lot of cheese smoking.  Lots of friends who are always up to sampling some.

 

The Cream cheese in the center of the first pic is a personal favorite of mine and most others who check it out.

 

  

 

There is a small grocery store nearby,  that occasionally has Beef ribs with real meat left on the bones.  Here are a few after a smoke bath in the WSM.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › John from the eastern edge of NC