or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Fakin bacon a'la Bear and Disco's bacon sausage loaf.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fakin bacon a'la Bear and Disco's bacon sausage loaf. - Page 2

post #21 of 38
Thread Starter 
Thanks Dave! I'm sure it's fine, I'm just a worry wart.
Main point of all this was to try and figure out how they make turkey into something resembling bacon. It's one of those things I'd always wondered about. Now I know. Plus the next time the pork free family member visits I can serve him some homemade turkey bacon.
post #22 of 38

Looks Beautiful, Bum!!!Thumbs Up

 

Hopefully it's as tasty as it looks!!!:drool:drool

 

Also I agree with Dave----You cured it properly, so cold smoking it first didn't hurt a thing!!

 

Nice Job!!Thumbs Up

 

 

Bear

post #23 of 38
I been trying to figure out a homemade SPAM recipe... I like the "meat glue" idea....
post #24 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Looks Beautiful, Bum!!!icon14.gif

Hopefully it's as tasty as it looks!!!drool.gifdrool.gif

Also I agree with Dave----You cured it properly, so cold smoking it first didn't hurt a thing!!

Nice Job!!icon14.gif


Bear
Thanks Bear! It's not bad, but it ain't bacon either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

I been trying to figure out a homemade SPAM recipe... I like the "meat glue" idea....
OOOH, Spam might be a fun experiment too.
post #25 of 38

It looks good. A very nice color.

Happy smoken.

David

post #26 of 38
Thread Starter 
Thanks David!
post #27 of 38
Thread Starter 
Had some for brunch. The wife gave it the thumbs up, though she's usually pretty good about making me feel good about my cooking. She did eat it though, so I think she really liked it ok.
post #28 of 38
Seems like this should be some sort of challenge for the members here, make a really good T Bacon recipe. Guess I'm off to the store to track down some ground turkey.
post #29 of 38
Thread Starter 
That sounds like a fun idea. Let us know what happens!
I made some collard greens last night and cubed up a few ounces of the turkey bacon in the cooking liquid. Gave it a nice smokey flavor. I then used the pot liquor to cook some pasta. Rather than boiling and draining I just simmered it like risotto, adding more liquid as it was absorbed. Made for a nice little meal.
post #30 of 38

Great job on the Turkey bacon Mdboatbum!!!  Haven't made any sausage out of poultry yet.  I have been thinking about it a few times, especially when I see boneless thigh meat on sale.  Nice to see you gave it a go and it turned out for you.  Reinhard

post #31 of 38

This looks terrific, MD. I love the colour! I would recommend real maple syrup over Mrs Butterworths though.

 

As for the pepper, I like a lot of pepper in my bacon strips so blame me.

 

You have to love this forum. Bear comes up with a great method of doing sausage strips. I put my twist on it and get a different dish. You put your twist on it and make another great dish. 

 

You have inspired me. We often have chicken thighs on sale and I may try a chicken breakfast strip.

 

Thanks for experimenting and extending the boundaries.

 

points1.png

 

Disco

post #32 of 38

Where did you get this "meat glue"? I'm looking at turning some ground chicken in a sort of meat blob for homemade deli style slices and it would be great if it came out looking like your bacon here.

 

I've got flavorless gelatin...would that work?

post #33 of 38

So you know, Mrs. Buttersworth has no maple flavoring in it to begin with, so you didn't loose the maple flavor.  I still enjoy it on pancakes.

 

I smell a throwdown idea.  Cured Poultry Loaf.

post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

This looks terrific, MD. I love the colour! I would recommend real maple syrup over Mrs Butterworths though.

As for the pepper, I like a lot of pepper in my bacon strips so blame me.

You have to love this forum. Bear comes up with a great method of doing sausage strips. I put my twist on it and get a different dish. You put your twist on it and make another great dish. 

You have inspired me. We often have chicken thighs on sale and I may try a chicken breakfast strip.

Thanks for experimenting and extending the boundaries.

points1.png

Disco

Thanks for the point Disco! And again, thanks to you and Bear for the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post

Where did you get this "meat glue"? I'm looking at turning some ground chicken in a sort of meat blob for homemade deli style slices and it would be great if it came out looking like your bacon here.

I've got flavorless gelatin...would that work?
I'm not sure about the gelatin. I've wondered that myself. I suspect it might work to an extent, but I think the texture would still be "burger-like" when cooked. The meat glue actually bonds the meat on a molecular level so when it cooks it's still a solid piece of meat. I think it would be your best bet for formed deli chicken. It's available on Amazon. I got the RM formulation which can be used as a dry powder or mixed with water to form a slurry. There is a GS formulation which must be mixed with water. Search for meat glue or transglutaminase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr View Post

So you know, Mrs. Buttersworth has no maple flavoring in it to begin with, so you didn't loose the maple flavor.  I still enjoy it on pancakes.

I smell a throwdown idea.  Cured Poultry Loaf.
Thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't the best bet but I didn't want to shell out for maple syrup. It's pretty expensive here.
post #35 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post

Where did you get this "meat glue"? I'm looking at turning some ground chicken in a sort of meat blob for homemade deli style slices and it would be great if it came out looking like your bacon here.

I've got flavorless gelatin...would that work?
I've been mulling this over all morning. I'm thinking if you ground the chicken very fine, then emulsified it in a food processor with some seasonings and the bloomed gelatin, then formed into a log with either large casings or plastic wrap, then poached in water at around 180f, you might come close. The texture would likely be more like Bologna than deli chicken, but it would be a step in the right direction. I still think the meat glue would be necessary to get the actual formed deli chicken. Anyway, good luck!
post #36 of 38

Ha I've been thinking of it also. The process I've got in my head is to do a first grind through the medium plate and then mix with the seasonings and bloomed, cooled gelatin. Then re-run through the fine plate and form in a loaf pan with saran wrap and let set overnight. The next morning I'd remove it from the mold and saran wrap and either bake or hot smoke until the appropriate IT. I'm expecting the overnight sit will set it sufficiently with the gelatin and the natural myosin developed through the double grind and extensive mix.

 

I'm tired of buying 3/4 a lb of deli turkey meat for $4 and then chomping on a visible piece of bone or other crap that goes in there. I'll start a new thread when I do this too.

post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Please let us know how it turns out!
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgautheir20420 View Post
 

Ha I've been thinking of it also. The process I've got in my head is to do a first grind through the medium plate and then mix with the seasonings and bloomed, cooled gelatin. Then re-run through the fine plate and form in a loaf pan with saran wrap and let set overnight. The next morning I'd remove it from the mold and saran wrap and either bake or hot smoke until the appropriate IT. I'm expecting the overnight sit will set it sufficiently with the gelatin and the natural myosin developed through the double grind and extensive mix.

 

I'm tired of buying 3/4 a lb of deli turkey meat for $4 and then chomping on a visible piece of bone or other crap that goes in there. I'll start a new thread when I do this too.

 

 

I think that meat glue is what they used to put my chest back together!!!

 

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Fakin bacon a'la Bear and Disco's bacon sausage loaf.