or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Hitting a stall while smoking sausage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hitting a stall while smoking sausage?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I've had 4 sticks of summer sausage in the smoker for 10 hours now. Started at 160 and slowly raised temp to 175. I'm using an electric smoker with a pid controller. Internal temp of meat was gradually going up until it hit 145. It stayed there for a couple hours then started dropping. It's now back down to 138. Not sure why it is dropping. Double checked smoker and meat temps to verify they are accurate. Any ideas? Didn't experience this with the last batch I made so I'm a little confused.

post #2 of 19
Try turning the temp down to 160 again.... It may be evaporation cooling the sausage...
post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Try turning the temp down to 160 again.... It may be evaporation cooling the sausage...

I ended up turning the temp down some due to the pellet smoker raising the temp above 180. The meat temp bottomed out at 137 for about 2 hours and then began to rise again. Within 2 hours the meat temp hit my target of 152. Thanks for the advice.

post #4 of 19

You must verify the chamber temp with a remote therm. Also what dave said...... be patient... Ive seen smokes go 21 hrs for SS. If the smoker is full it will take longer too

 

:th_What_NO_QVIEW:

post #5 of 19

Summer sausage is one thing you must especially fight the urge to bump up the temps. when you hit the stall because whatever you do you don't want the fat in the sausage to break down! I usually just ride it out, next time I'll try the turn down temp. trick! First I've heard of it ! Thank's Dave !

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykjo View Post
 

You must verify the chamber temp with a remote therm. Also what dave said...... be patient... Ive seen smokes go 21 hrs for SS. If the smoker is full it will take longer too

 

:th_What_NO_QVIEW:


I did as I stated in original post. I rode it out until it was done. The cabinet temp was rising from the heat of the burning pellets. There was a slight amount of grease on the outside of the casings as it started to soften the fat. I chilled them in ice water and then hung them for an hour before hitting the fridge. Cut one open today and it looks and tastes fine. As for the Qview, well here.

post #7 of 19

Nice looking SS, from my perspective you did well.  :drool

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin101 View Post
 

Nice looking SS, from my perspective you did well.  :drool


Thanks! Pretty tasty, too.

post #9 of 19

Great looking SS.............. Thumbs Up

post #10 of 19

Looks like they turned out great!!!  Reinhard

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewmeister View Post
 


I did as I stated in original post. I rode it out until it was done. The cabinet temp was rising from the heat of the burning pellets. There was a slight amount of grease on the outside of the casings as it started to soften the fat. I chilled them in ice water and then hung them for an hour before hitting the fridge. Cut one open today and it looks and tastes fine. As for the Qview, well here.

Glad it worked out! I use sawdust in my Mblt. analog and many times my smoker in warm weather will run around 170 just from the smoking dust in my smoke gen. and the element doesn't come on til near the end of the sawdust.

post #12 of 19


please pass the mustard , crackers ( or good rye bread ) and something to drink. Your SS looks great!!Weiss wurst

post #13 of 19


Thanks Dave  for the info. First time ive heard that also .  Weisswurst

post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisswurst View Post
 


please pass the mustard , crackers ( or good rye bread ) and something to drink. Your SS looks great!!Weiss wurst


Thanks! Tastes good too.

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
 

Looks like they turned out great!!!  Reinhard


Thanks! I'm pleased with the results.

post #16 of 19

Looks great very nice job, That would be great in my Elk camp this weekend. 

 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

 

DS

post #17 of 19

Those SS are a thing of beauty. Very nice job.

post #18 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen0 View Post
 

Those SS are a thing of beauty. Very nice job.


Thanks. I appreciate that.

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykjo View Post
 

Great looking SS.............. Thumbs Up


Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › Hitting a stall while smoking sausage?