I've browsed and searched, but haven't yet seen anything I haven't tried.
- AMNPS 5x8
- "A-MAZE-N Pellets - Pitmasters Choice" (straight from the 2# bag came with the AMNPS)
- MES30 (20070910) , empty, not powered, feed tube removed, chip drawer open 1.25", top vent wide open
- AMNPS sitting on bottom rack, centered
- Followed http://www.amazenproducts.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/AMNPSInstructions.pdf to the letter
- Followed suggestions for MES at http://www.amazenproducts.com/Articles.asp?ID=238
- Ambient 75°F, 13% RH, 6600 ft elevation
Over the last few days, I've spent 12+ hours (and 3/4 of the 2# bag of pellets) trying to keep this thing lit. I've tried it inside the smoker and outside. In a breeze and sheltered from wind. Starting ("flame") for 10, 8, or 15 minutes. Blowing on it while "starting" (to keep flame going for 10, 8, or 15 minutes) or letting it go out on its own.
After 10 minutes of "small flame", about 1 inch of the pellets have burned and there's a good-sized area of red/orange coals. When I blow it out, it's smoking like a champ. After that, though...
It never burns for more than 60 minutes before I notice that the smoke coming from the MES vent has dropped to almost nothing (I have to watch for several seconds to see the slightest wisp of smoke); I open the door and there's no smoke from the AMNPS. Same result (60 minutes max. and it's dead) if the MES door is open, the AMNPS is sitting on a stump outside the MES, or any other configuration.
So, how does one keep this thing burning? If it's going to go out after, at most, 60 minutes, it's no better than the MES's own built-in feed/smoke system.