or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork ›  What does the bend look like on perfectly done ribs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does the bend look like on perfectly done ribs

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

Does anyone have a photo of some ribs being held by tongs w/ the" perfect bend  for  being done" test ? Please post a shot if you do. Thanks , CM

post #2 of 18
They say when you pick them up w/ tongs about halfway up and they split, they're done. That could be a little too much for me. I go about 190 IT.
post #3 of 18

Howdy Crazymoon, if you google "bend test for ribs" then hit the "image" icon on your browser, there will be plenty of pictures showing what you are asking about.

post #4 of 18

   The bend test , lift in the middle (IMHO) and 'cha-ching' ,

 

  When you get some color and Bone Pullback (some times the pullback doesn't happen) or toothpich test , this will happen . . .

 

These were 6hrs. exactly with lid down (unopened during cook  ; you can smell the doneness ) , then check . . .

 

Practice , and . . .

post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks all for the info, I am learning-learning that I need practice !:icon_biggrin:

post #6 of 18

I pick up a rack approx. 1/4 to 1/3 from one end and lift it clear of the grates, if it bends easily a full 90° they are done. Also look for the splitting that OldSchool shows in his pictures.

post #7 of 18

No need for a split, although it sure does look good in his pics?

 

But you do want that nice bend.

 

If the bones fall out?

 

Send the ribs to the local restaurant who serves people who like "fall off the bone ribs".

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #8 of 18

Also, keep in mind that the meatier the ribs, the less bend you will have, and that could be a little misleading, as the cooked loin meat prevents the bend from happening as usual.  I've seen this most prominently when the butcher leaves a good amount of the loin meat on the slab.  

 

The bend works great on ribs where you see the ribbed texture on the slab (ie less loin meat)

post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMoon View Post
 

Does anyone have a photo of some ribs being held by tongs w/ the" perfect bend  for  being done" test ? Please post a shot if you do. Thanks , CM

 

Here you go

 

 

post #10 of 18
You have 2 perfect examples there! oldschool's photo shows ribs that are fall off the bone and cliff's shows ribs that are gonna be a little less tender, or "bite off the bone". Myself, I prefer the latter, but most folks seem to prefer the ones in oldschool's photo. The difference, in my experience, is the fall off the bone ones cook for about an hour longer.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks again for all the info !

post #12 of 18

Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

You have 2 perfect examples there! oldschool's photo shows ribs that are fall off the bone and cliff's shows ribs that are gonna be a little less tender, or "bite off the bone". Myself, I prefer the latter, but most folks seem to prefer the ones in oldschool's photo. The difference, in my experience, is the fall off the bone ones cook for about an hour longer.

Not necessarily. I've had ribs that "crack" but still have the bite to them.

post #13 of 18
And I've had ribs with no pullback that were mush. There are exceptions to every rule. I was referring mainly to the amount of bend and the overall appearance of the meat. GENERALLY speaking, a rack of ribs that bends double and cracks is going to be fall off the bone tender. And GENERALLY speaking a rack that bends 45-60 degrees and has very little pullback is going to be bite tender.
post #14 of 18

So was I.  I've found over time that there are some racks that break, and some that don't, but both have that "bite off the bone" 

 

I've found that the ribs that are "fall off the bone" basically fall apart the moment you pick them up. Now, perhaps we have a different definition of what "fall off the bone" is.

post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Santa View Post
 

Howdy Crazymoon, if you google "bend test for ribs" then hit the "image" icon on your browser, there will be plenty of pictures showing what you are asking about.

That made me really hungry!! BTW....Santa is always good!! (I should know) ;)

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyFingers View Post
 

That made me really hungry!! BTW....Santa is always good!! (I should know) ;)

 

LOL !

 

post #17 of 18

I need to find that T shirt!

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
 

I need to find that T shirt!

 

 

Howdy AK1, the shirt was sent to me by someone who saw it and for some reason she thought about me. :biggrin:

It's from a hot dog restaurant chain in and around Peru, Indiana.

 

Sez it all tho don't it?


Edited by Bad Santa - 9/16/14 at 12:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork ›  What does the bend look like on perfectly done ribs