or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Digital Q-View ?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Howdy fellow smokers.

 

Being a bit of a nerd, I threw together some electronics and performed some data logging on a couple of smokes.

 

First, the electronics: It ain't pretty, but it works ! A bunch of thermocouples with associated goodies.

 

 

Second: A 15lb brisket smoke from early august. Nice plateau !

 

Third: Chicken with a couple of pork butts.

 

Cheers,

Argo


Edited by Argofanatic - 9/5/14 at 4:46am
post #2 of 16

That's pretty cool.  Nice looking graphs.  Are you planning on making a PCB or leaving it breadboarded?

 

Also, have you heard about the HeaterMeter?

post #3 of 16

I like what you did, but as lazy as I am, an Arduino or Rasberry Pi  would be my weapon of choice.

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi Ryan, no I had not heard of the HeaterMeter, heading over there for a looksie now.

Sounds quite similar at first glance, my gadget is built around a Raspberry Pi also.

 

Printed circuit boards, yea, I'm actually thinking of designing some and offering them as a "group buy" on the site here. I may reconsider after I take a peek at the HeaterMeter.

 

Cheers.

post #5 of 16

that is pretty extreme

post #6 of 16

How did the meat come out?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #7 of 16

Hmmm! I wonder if I connected one to my Neural Stimulator , if it would Buzz me when it got too hot???

 

Later . . .

post #8 of 16

Neat little setup......guess I am old school (and I ain't that old).  I put the meat in and take it out when it's done.  Hmmmmm I'm a Simpleton LOL

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post
 

Hmmm! I wonder if I connected one to my Neural Stimulator , if it would Buzz me when it got too hot???

 

Later . . .

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadronMan View Post
 

Neat little setup......guess I am old school (and I ain't that old).  I put the meat in and take it out when it's done.  Hmmmmm I'm a Simpleton LOL

Roger that above......thank Gawd my nose can still tell when somethings burning up (mostly) before the GF starts squawking. not against the scientific measurements but I really have no use for the intel....unless it buzzed me when I had just enough time for another cocktail before the rest period was over.....Willie

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
LOL.
You guys crack me up !
 
I totally forgot about the Neural Stimulator, I guess that will be for version 2 !

 

I've been doing it "old school" for the last 15 years or so. Now however, I don't have to open the lid to check the temperature anymore.

Now if I could just get my hands on a flux capacitor, I'd be all set !

 

Smoke on ...

Argo.

post #11 of 16

Argofanatic - you are a man after my own heart. Where technology can help then use it to the full - that's what I say!.

Don't let the dinosaurs put you off track - :rotflmao: 

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
 

Argofanatic - you are a man after my own heart. Where technology can help then use it to the full - that's what I say!.

Don't let the dinosaurs put you off track - :rotflmao: 

 

Oh, I don't see dinosaurs I see a wealth of experience that have helped me enjoy this hobby. Heck, I'm a dinosaur !

post #13 of 16

Neat. After reading about so many digital thermometer setups here, I was wondering if anyone ever plotted the readings over time, kind of like a graph drawn on a rotating drum or disc.

post #14 of 16

I am looking to do what Argo has done for all of my smokes in future however I will probably buy an off the shelf recording dual probe thermometer with a PC interface. I would love to make it from scratch but, although I can save myself from getting food poisoning, I am not so certain about electrocution!

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
 

I am looking to do what Argo has done for all of my smokes in future however I will probably buy an off the shelf recording dual probe thermometer with a PC interface. I would love to make it from scratch but, although I can save myself from getting food poisoning, I am not so certain about electrocution!

 

Over on tvwbb where the Heatermeter page hosted, there's a chap (like the lingo?) who say's that he'll assemble units for those in the UK.  You might want to head over there and hit him up.  His screen name is  Jon_Skeet and the thread he says this in is "Pre-Built Unit"

 

Hope this helps,

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 

Ok, so I've been tinkering around a little more and decided to go "pro".

I designed some PCB's and placed an order for them. I should get the boards in a couple of weeks.

 

My concept is as follows: Take 1 Raspberry Pi, attach the SmokerPi adapter. Drop on from 1 to 4 SmokerPiMB (Mother Boards),

Each mother board can accept from 1 to 4 thermocouple or relay adapters.

 

So, in a nutshell the system can support from 1 to 16 thermocouples, relays or any combination of the two.

Need more ? Stack more on top and keep going.

 

SmokerPi board:

 

SmokerPiMB board:

 

SmokerPi TC board:

 

SmokerPi Relay board:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion