or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › My Ribs Are Never "Great"! Trying Something Different Today...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Ribs Are Never "Great"! Trying Something Different Today...

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I have been maybe trying too hard to get my ribs the way I want them and it hasn't been working out. Today, I'm going to give Chef JimmyJ's 3-2-1 ribs a try. I'll be putting them on about 9 this morning and hopefully I'll be bragging at about 4:00 about how I can make great ribs. Since I'm smoking on my offset, which requires a lot of attention and is way down by the tractor shed, it will probably be after I'm done before I can post Q-View.

 

Wish me luck, and if it's a fail I'm sure it will be my fault and not the Chef's great recipe. I hope I can do him justice. I'm not the greatest cook, I don't know why. To put it into perspective, if I were on the TV show "Hell's Kitchen", I'd probably be Chef Gordon Ramsay's first homicide.

post #2 of 16

worthless.gif

If you can hold pit temp and can tell time 3-2-1 will work great.

Happy smoken.

David

post #3 of 16

Grillmonkey

 

When I was cooking with my offset I decided the best way to do ribs was in the oven!  After a couple of hours on the smoke that is.  2 or 3 hrs on the smoke at 225-250 then wrapped and braised in the oven till fall off the bone tender.  They went back on the smoker or grill to tighten them up and crisp the sauce.

 

Good Luck   Uncle Jimmy gives good advice.

post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 

Followed Chef JimmyJ's recipe to the letter from this thread:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/167689/any-advice#post_1230238

 

I have complained to anyone who would listen that my ribs need some work. As of today, the work is done. They were great. Chef JJ changed my life. I went from my family complaining that I was going to try ribs again, to compliments from everyone who tried them.

 

Rubbed and going into the smoke.

 

 

Fired up and smoking. It's not that smoky, the camera lens is fogged up.

 

 

No rib smoke is safe without an alert guard dog posted.

 

 

Ready! If it's as good as it looks, it should be great.

 

 

At this point my mouth is really watering.

 

 

Add some potatoes and southern white peas. You can't imagine the willpower it took to take this pic, and not just dive right in.

Thanks Chef JimmyJ

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 

Life is good right now. And thanks again Chef JimmyJ.


Edited by Grillmonkey - 9/1/14 at 5:12am
post #6 of 16
Tasty looking ribs!
post #7 of 16

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Looks GREAT!

Happy smoken.

David

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 

The Q-view says it all. They were just as good as they look. The only problem I have is there weren't any leftovers. To put the success into perspective, last time I did a single rack of ribs, just over half were all that was eaten by the same people who devoured this rack. And this time they immediately began complaining that I didn't smoke enough.

post #9 of 16

Nice .  .  .

 

 Have fun , do it again (often) and . . .

post #10 of 16

Nothing is better, than the taste of success!

post #11 of 16

Grillmonkey That is some fine looking Q I would eat it.

Richie

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolbbq View Post
 

Nice .  .  .

 

 Have fun , do it again (often) and . . .

Thanks for the great advice oldschool, I will follow it often.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addertooth View Post
 

Nothing is better, than the taste of success!

You got that right, Addertooth. I can't remember ever pulling something off my smoker that was that good.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropics View Post
 

Grillmonkey That is some fine looking Q I would eat it.

Richie

Let me know the next time you're going to be down around Twin City, Ga. and I'll cook you some up, tropics. Just watch out for the guard dog.....sometimes people accidentally step on her tail.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillmonkey View Post

The Q-view says it all. They were just as good as they look. The only problem I have is there weren't any leftovers. To put the success into perspective, last time I did a single rack of ribs, just over half were all that was eaten by the same people who devoured this rack. And this time they immediately began complaining that I didn't smoke enough.

Your ribs look awesome.....beautiful color. It seems to me no matter how many racks I smoke I always wish I had done one more. Nice smoke. Congrats. sausage.gifyahoo.gif
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5oclocksomewher View Post


Your ribs look awesome.....beautiful color. It seems to me no matter how many racks I smoke I always wish I had done one more. Nice smoke. Congrats. sausage.gifyahoo.gif

Thanks 5oclock, I just scrolled back up to look and my stomach started growling as soon as I saw them.

post #15 of 16

Seems like many new smokers want to start with ribs?

 

Lots of easier ways to go.

 

The perfect rib for you and your loved ones?

 

That usually takes some work and experimentation.

 

Glad you hit the one for you and your family!

 

Now pat yourself on the back and just enjoy those perfect ribs!

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
 

Seems like many new smokers want to start with ribs?

 

Lots of easier ways to go.

 

The perfect rib for you and your loved ones?

 

That usually takes some work and experimentation.

 

Glad you hit the one for you and your family!

 

Now pat yourself on the back and just enjoy those perfect ribs!

 

Good luck and good smoking.

I had the misfortune of having perfect ribs a long time ago, and the cook wouldn't divulge any part of his recipe. Since then I have been trying to duplicate that taste and texture, to no avail. Now, thanks to Chef JJ, I have a recipe that is not the same, but just as perfect.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › My Ribs Are Never "Great"! Trying Something Different Today...