So I've been smoking at home for years and everyone complimented me on the food I served however I did my first competition this weekend and was looking for some advice.
I competed in the Athens Classic Center BBQ contest in Athens GA. I just want some clarification if i can get it. Well here is my experience
1. This competition was a bit disorganized and clumsy, though it was their second year hosting.
2. The cooking space was very small and if I had a pull behind smoker I would have been out of luck in the space dept.
On to the help
1. Is it common on the competition circuit to sauce all meats turned in. I normally don't sauce anything and let the meat do the talking. To me saucing a meat to turn in means you're being judged on meat and sauce and that doesn't seem right to me.
2. Is it normal for pro teams to be competing in peoples choice events?
3. For chicken is it better to do thighs rather than a whole chicken and serve breast meat, I noticed my team was the only team that did so.
Thanks for any help and info everyone.