Aak, sorry for the overly long, no longer live update. Things didn't go so well; this is my first time trying to do "low and slow" in my modded ECB. The last couple times I did ribs, I was using an electric DIY flowerpot smoker, which turned out great, and I've done turkeys in the ECB, but those are high-temperature items.
The ECB's temps were fluctuating like a teenager's mood swings. Filled up a chimney with lump charcoal, got it started, and put it in the smoker with the vent on the bottom wide open to see where it wanted to be. Outside air temp: 90f
Smoker shot up to nearly 400 degrees, so I tried progressively closing the vent but was only able to get it to around 300, so I pulled some charcoal out, 260 or so, and I know the temp is going to drop when the meat goes in, let's give it a go.
Four smallish racks of ribs, I thought I could fit them all on one level, but there was no way more than three were going on. Problem is, there was a 50 degree temperature difference between the bottom and the top rack, so somebody is going to be unhappy. Needs must, in they go, one of each type of spice on each level, I figured I'd swap them after an hour or so.
Meat in, temp drops from 260 to a stable 180. What?!? Add some more charcoal, boom, back up to 300, must have been too much. Pull some out, get the top rack going at about 250 and the bottom at 225 or so, that's as good as it's going to get. Til the temperature starts dropping, and I find that the other box of charcoal I had I didn't have, and I'm running low.
Couple more swoops on the roller coaster, I did foil for a while with a mix of apple juice and Captain Morgan (which I also sprayed the last 12 hour so so), but the damage was done, and I was already an hour and a half late on my called dinner time, so I pulled them out and we had dinner. They tasted fine, those rubs are great, but they were a little dry. Not horribly so, but I'm glad it was just me and the wife, not for company.
Yup, I also did smoked bacon onion rings. Think I should have used some sort of rub on them too, they came out a little bland.
Oh well, better luck next time.