SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff) - Page 5

post #81 of 86

 There was no way it got to 140 in 4 hours as I followed your method each time and it was always so close to my numbers it is scary.

 

 I'll make dried beef donuts out of the ones that didn't cure all the way thru.. LOL.. Wasn't that much of it, but losing any sucks.

 

 Griz

post #82 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdagriz View Post
 

 There was no way it got to 140 in 4 hours as I followed your method each time and it was always so close to my numbers it is scary.

 

 I'll make dried beef donuts out of the ones that didn't cure all the way thru.. LOL.. Wasn't that much of it, but losing any sucks.

 

 Griz


Like I said, it never happened to me, so I don't have any notations on what to do if it does.

However if I did have an uncured center, I would change my smoking temps to get it to 140° in under 4 hours.

Then I would slow it down & take my time getting it to 160° before pulling it.

That would make it safe to eat, and still get plenty of extra smoke on it while going from 140° to 160° IT.

 

Since there isn't much of it, Donuts should be fine.

 

Bear

post #83 of 86
Bear, I know you aren't a fan of it, but, I have some buckboard bacon cure to use up and a backstrap in the fridge. Will that cure theoretically work for dried beef?
post #84 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjosh View Post

Bear, I know you aren't a fan of it, but, I have some buckboard bacon cure to use up and a backstrap in the fridge. Will that cure theoretically work for dried beef?


Yes, That will work, but if You're talking about "Hi Mountain Cure & Seasoning", make sure you do a Salt-Fry Test after curing, but before smoking, because I only ever used that one time, and it was the only time I ever had to soak my BBB after curing to eliminate extra Salt Flavor.

 

 

Bear

post #85 of 86

Bear,

 

Wasn't too sure about this one so when a marked down roast came available I bought it to see how this might work.  Forgot to take a before picture but after 8 days in the cure and 8 hours in the smoker, this is what it looked like:

 

 

 

 

 

I pulled the meat when the internal temp was 150 degrees.  Rested in the fridge for 24 hours, then sliced at about 1/16th of an inch.

 

This was really good stuff.  I sliced some smoked cheese and a plate of crackers for dinner tonight.  Very nice.

 

Next time I will look for that eye of round, but my guess is just about any cut will work well.

post #86 of 86
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotown View Post
 

Bear,

 

Wasn't too sure about this one so when a marked down roast came available I bought it to see how this might work.  Forgot to take a before picture but after 8 days in the cure and 8 hours in the smoker, this is what it looked like:

 

 

I pulled the meat when the internal temp was 150 degrees.  Rested in the fridge for 24 hours, then sliced at about 1/16th of an inch.

 

This was really good stuff.  I sliced some smoked cheese and a plate of crackers for dinner tonight.  Very nice.

 

Next time I will look for that eye of round, but my guess is just about any cut will work well.

 

Looks Great, Slotown!!

 

Nice Job, and glad you like it !!

 

Yes---Any Beef roast will do, but the leaner the better, which is why I recommend Eye Round & Bottom Round. The Cuts that are the toughest work the best for Dried Beef, which I find to be a Good Thing!

 

Bear

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)