or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Wood Chunks -- where do you put them??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wood Chunks -- where do you put them??

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi All,

 

Hope all is well :)

 

When smoking, where do you put your wood chunks?

 

- Directly on hot coal?

- Directly on unlit coal?

- Wrapped in foil with holes poked in it and placed directly on hot coal?

- In a pan placed directly on hot coal?

- Other places

 

I am just curious.

post #2 of 7

It may depend on what type of smoker you use - I have a large offset Oklahoma Joe smoker, so I typically use a mixture of lump and logs.   I have used chunks before and I set them near the fire where they would smoke, and then eventually catch fire.   I kept them far away from the inlet to the smoke chamber.   Hope that makes sense, for this type of smoker.

post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimpam View Post

It may depend on what type of smoker you use - I have a large offset Oklahoma Joe smoker, so I typically use a mixture of lump and logs.   I have used chunks before and I set them near the fire where they would smoke, and then eventually catch fire.   I kept them far away from the inlet to the smoke chamber.   Hope that makes sense, for this type of smoker.

Thanks Jimpam!!

I should have mentioned that I use the CharGriller Pro. Yes, your comment makes sense. I find that when I put the chunks on hot coal, I get lots of white smoke. I suspect I am using too much wood. Then I saw a video in which the wood chunks were placed on a pan and on hot coal.

Notwithstanding, I've cooked a few pork butts which came out great... But I am trying to make it even better :)
post #4 of 7
I have the same grill and use a charcaol basket. I mix charcaol and pecan chunks and then use the minion method to get things going which works really well for me. I may have a little white smoke when one of the chuncks lights up, but if I do it's not enough to change affect the taste and most times don't have any. My understanding on how that works is that the chunks actually warm up from the surrounding coals which supposedly keep it from billowing the white smoke when it ignites.
post #5 of 7

I generally put them in my smoker :biggrin:

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Griz View Post

My understanding on how that works is that the chunks actually warm up from the surrounding coals which supposedly keep it from billowing the white smoke when it ignites.

That's what i do as well. I even put the flavor wood on the top of my chimney when I get that going to get thru the white smoke phase fast.

I also cut all of my own wood and every now and then a chunk will really start sweating and I'll know that it needs to season more and replace it with a different chunk.
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Griz View Post

I have the same grill and use a charcaol basket. I mix charcaol and pecan chunks and then use the minion method to get things going which works really well for me. I may have a little white smoke when one of the chuncks lights up, but if I do it's not enough to change affect the taste and most times don't have any. My understanding on how that works is that the chunks actually warm up from the surrounding coals which supposedly keep it from billowing the white smoke when it ignites.

Thanks Big Grill! I use a charcoal basket too. You're right a little white smoke probably is not a game changer...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Wood Chunks -- where do you put them??