or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › UK Smokers › Discussions › Garlic

Garlic

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

What the hell do I do with 10kg of grade 1 French garlic ?

Hot or cold smoke ?

post #2 of 19

I love Roasted garlic. That is what I would do with it. cut the tops off, arrange in a very large or several shallow pans, douse with extra virgin olive oil and hot smoke until desired roastedness.  cool and squeeze it all out. You could can and or freeze. Wow, if that wouldn't get the neighbors stopping by in droves I don't know what would. That is a very nice score.

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberjet View Post
 

I love Roasted garlic. That is what I would do with it. cut the tops off, arrange in a very large or several shallow pans, douse with extra virgin olive oil and hot smoke until desired roastedness.  cool and squeeze it all out. You could can and or freeze. Wow, if that wouldn't get the neighbors stopping by in droves I don't know what would. That is a very nice score.

Thanks for that, these are BIG bulbs, try if weather good to put a pic up

post #4 of 19

Hello.  timberjet's plan sounds good to me.  I can't come up with anything else.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #5 of 19

Smoke some of them cold. They taste lovely when you use them in dressings, rubs or in light sauces. Roast some too. Roasted smoked garlic mashed potato is one of my favourites.

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 

First batch of hot applewood smoked garlic done in the countertop.

 

post #7 of 19

Those look great.

Danny

post #8 of 19

Mmmm I can smell the lovely smoked garlic from here. Looks great.

post #9 of 19

Hello Smokers.

 

I Hot Smoked some Garlic the other night for the first time and it turned out brilliant, but it was on a much smaller scale than Osprey2.  Firstly I cut the Bulbs top off, exposing all the cloves, I then laid them in my top stove Smoker.  I used an artist paintbrush to coat olive oil onto the bulbs which prevents too much oil in the Smoker, then seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper.  After 45 minutes of cooking time I turned the hotplate off but left the Smoker on the hotplate.  Once the Garlic had cooled I used a butter Knife to squeeze each clove, but doing it this way was going to take forever, so I then started to pass each clove through a garlic presser, but this was far too messy.  So I ended up tipping the garlic upside down gave a gentle squeeze at the root and the cloves just kinda fell out

 

 

 

 

Oiled and seasoned

 

 

Hot Smoked

 

 

One Bulb

 

 

18 Bulbs


Edited by SmokingBunny - 3/20/15 at 9:53am
post #10 of 19

Oh man I can smell it from here. Yum!

post #11 of 19

Wow that looks great. Did you use it all or did some get frozen?

post #12 of 19

Popped it all in the freezer, going to make some more this weekend.  One of the Supermarkets have them on special offer, £1.79 for around 18 bulbs,but if you buy 2 bags you get the

 

third free, so that's a very good deal, unfortunately, I only got the one bag but I will be getting some more this weekend.

 

 

.:icon_biggrin:

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
 

Wow that looks great. Did you use it all or did some get frozen?


My Morris Traveller came from Woodchurch, I drove him all the way home with the indicator on, my friend behind me was in stitches and I was just grinning from ear to ear, as I had just purchased my dream car.

 

:icon_lol:

post #14 of 19

In our village that is still one of the latest models !

post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
 

In our village that is still one of the latest models !

 

They are a joy to see and still turn heads.

post #16 of 19

Jeeze, 10Kg's of garlic, there should be no vampires in your neck of the woods.  

 

That's a lot of garlic, did you get up one morning and just happen to stumble on a huge bag of garlic (as you do). I am just in shock (and awe) at the thought of a 10Kg bag of garlic!!!

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokewood View Post
 

Jeeze, 10Kg's of garlic, there should be no vampires in your neck of the woods.  

 

That's a lot of garlic, did you get up one morning and just happen to stumble on a huge bag of garlic (as you do). I am just in shock (and awe) at the thought of a 10Kg bag of garlic!!!

A friend of mine from Scotland, also lives in France has a share in a garlic firm. He probably brought about 100 kg over. I actually had 20 kg, 10 to deliver in west Wales. It doesn't look like it will happen this year as he has an aggressive  cancer.

post #18 of 19

Very sorry to hear about your friend.  Wade has been to the States many times.  Maybe between he and I we are corrupting the British public with the U.S. style; Go big or go home!  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #19 of 19

I am sorry to hear about your friend, and hope everything goes ok with the treatment.

 

Best Wishes 

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: UK Smokers
SmokingMeatForums.com › Groups › UK Smokers › Discussions › Garlic