or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Root Crops › First New Potatoes of the Year
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First New Potatoes of the Year

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

We dug up our first new potatoes. I love those creamy fresh little spuds. They don't need a lot to make a great side dish.

 

I microwaved mine until they weren't quite done. Then I through them on a grill over medium high heat and brushed them with butter. I turned them frequently, brushing with butter until the skin was crispy.

 

 

 

I sprinkled them with some steak spice. and served.

 

 

 

 

I just love new potatoes. If you don't grow potatoes, you should!

 

Disco

post #2 of 16

Aweee man those are my favorite potatoes! I always pick up 3 or 4 baskets of those new local potatoes every time I visit the farmers market. Must taste even better when they are from your own garden!

 

Cheers Disco!

post #3 of 16

Looks great Disco...we love new potatoes!  My favorite is garden fresh green beans with new potatoes, seasoned with some bacon...yum!

 

Red

post #4 of 16

Nothing like new baby taters outta your own garden......with the move only a small container garden for me this year BUT, next year we should be back in the swing of things.....Willie

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifebld View Post
 

Aweee man those are my favorite potatoes! I always pick up 3 or 4 baskets of those new local potatoes every time I visit the farmers market. Must taste even better when they are from your own garden!

 

Cheers Disco!

 

Thanks, Chad. They are one of our favourites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post
 

Looks great Disco...we love new potatoes!  My favorite is garden fresh green beans with new potatoes, seasoned with some bacon...yum!

 

Red

 

Thanks, Red. We have green beans too. I like to fry some chopped bacon with some garlic and then stir in the green beans and stir fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie View Post
 

Nothing like new baby taters outta your own garden......with the move only a small container garden for me this year BUT, next year we should be back in the swing of things.....Willie

Thanks, Willie. I wish you a good crop next year!

post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

 

Thanks, Chad. They are one of our favourites.

 

Thanks, Red. We have green beans too. I like to fry some chopped bacon with some garlic and then stir in the green beans and stir fry.

Thanks, Willie. I wish you a good crop next year!


Looks great!. Did breakfast with new reds and onions and bells and bacon. :Looks-Great:

post #7 of 16

Disco, new potatoes.... delicious! Fried, creamed, with green beans, just boiled...... Mmmmm....... new potatoes! AND NOW with a crispy skin!

 

Great looking meal!

post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave17a View Post
 


Looks great!. Did breakfast with new reds and onions and bells and bacon. :Looks-Great:

 

Thanks for the kind words but potatoes, onions, bells and bacon beats these. Where's my invite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Disco, new potatoes.... delicious! Fried, creamed, with green beans, just boiled...... Mmmmm....... new potatoes! AND NOW with a crispy skin!

 

Great looking meal!

Thanks Foam. You know that great ingredients make great food easier.

post #9 of 16

And you do white fish which I have never brined or smoked. That is my next step. Just want to fry it up.:439:

post #10 of 16

Omg!

 

New potatoes!

 

Just like butter?

 

But even better with butter?

 

Who ever had too much butter or bacon?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #11 of 16
Very nice Disco, them new taters are just the best ! Them little ones as ya Q'ed up there are just so darned tasty.... drool.gif
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
 

Omg!

 

New potatoes!

 

Just like butter?

 

But even better with butter?

 

Who ever had too much butter or bacon?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

I thought I had too much bacon once. It turned out I was wrong.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterinHoleBrew View Post

Very nice Disco, them new taters are just the best ! Them little ones as ya Q'ed up there are just so darned tasty.... drool.gif

Thanks. I love my spuds.

post #13 of 16

Mmmmmm........... creamed new potatoes beats creamed bermuda onions in my book anyday!

post #14 of 16
Have you ever tried Syracuse potatoes? I think that's what they're called. Basically you just boil them whole and skin on (make sure you don't break or pierce the skin) in HEAVILY salted water til they're done. When you take them out of the water a coating of salt appears as soon as they dry. The insides are completely different from plain boiled potatoes. Give 'em a try they're delicious.
post #15 of 16

I remembered an old post from Pops on salt potatoes.  That was the first time I had ever heard of them:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/107071/salt-potatoes

 

Good luck and good smoking.

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post
 

Mmmmmm........... creamed new potatoes beats creamed bermuda onions in my book anyday!

They are my favourite too!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post

Have you ever tried Syracuse potatoes? I think that's what they're called. Basically you just boil them whole and skin on (make sure you don't break or pierce the skin) in HEAVILY salted water til they're done. When you take them out of the water a coating of salt appears as soon as they dry. The insides are completely different from plain boiled potatoes. Give 'em a try they're delicious.

 

Thanks, I'll try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venture View Post
 

I remembered an old post from Pops on salt potatoes.  That was the first time I had ever heard of them:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/107071/salt-potatoes

 

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks for the link.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Root Crops
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Home Gardening › Root Crops › First New Potatoes of the Year